Defensive drills

Decked

He teaches'em not to look for the ball in man coverage :ahhhhhhhh

That's because, in man coverage, if u look for the ball you lose sight of your man--u lose a step--by the time you spot the ball your man is a step behind you and the ball is over your head.

Only when the receiver reaches up for the ball, then and only then (in man coverage) do you look back and reach up.

• Fire 1

I do agree with the teaching that the ball should hit you in the helmet, so you don't get burned on fakes. The problem I have with the secondary is that they don't seem to make good plays on the ball when it is in the air. Reference the Bowl Game and SJB at a few pionts in the Michigan State Game. I understand what he is saying, but I never saw Ralph Brown get hit in the helmet by a pass.

I do agree with the teaching that the ball should hit you in the helmet, so you don't get burned on fakes. The problem I have with the secondary is that they don't seem to make good plays on the ball when it is in the air. Reference the Bowl Game and SJB at a few pionts in the Michigan State Game. I understand what he is saying, but I never saw Ralph Brown get hit in the helmet by a pass.

I agree, I think the getting hit is football 101 but at this level we need a bit more than this from our atheletes, great coverage backs can become the reciever and they fight for the ball w/out giving up the big play.

That's because, in man coverage, if u look for the ball you lose sight of your man--u lose a step--by the time you spot the ball your man is a step behind you and the ball is over your head.

Only when the receiver reaches up for the ball, then and only then (in man coverage) do you look back and reach up.

Agreed. That's why in man coverage they say you play the receiver not the ball. That's why when a defensive back puts his hands up or grabs the receiver before the receiver does or the defensive back doesn't look for the ball, he will get called for pass interference every time.

Baker was practicing? Thought he was injured?

Nevermind, I realized it was Paul Thurston.

I recommend every high school defensive back and safety watch this and take in the taste of what kind of coach Terry Joseph is and make a visit to Nebraska. :)

:sarcasm I gotta get back to using this. I watched the video.