Sand

Knapp, Cooks explanation was more about diving onto the floor and such and the higher probability of loose clothing catching on the floor and rolling up limbs and muscles, causing injuries. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it's what he said and it does make some sense. Also I never thought of the movement part of it. I will say that basketball uniforms for both men and women anymore seem to look a little heavy and baggy to me.

Knapp, Cooks explanation was more about diving onto the floor and such and the higher probability of loose clothing catching on the floor and rolling up limbs and muscles, causing injuries. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it's what he said and it does make some sense. Also I never thought of the movement part of it. I will say that basketball uniforms for both men and women anymore seem to look a little heavy and baggy to me.

better then the 80's look of short shorts and knee high socks for men and women lol.

I'm not going to argue with John Cook. He clearly is the expert here. But I'm gonna say that my experience isn't what he said, and in all the years I've played and/or watched volleyball, I've never seen or heard of someone being injured by shorts or a t-shirt.

If Cooker likes them and the girls like them, that's good enough for me.

I remember that lady calling in to Sports Nighlty about the clothing. In fact I believe I have a recording of it somewhere in my archives. Coach Cook tried toexplain to the lady that when a player goes to the floor, baggy clothing can actually tear the skin of the player. Because VB players do alot of digging and sliding on the floor the tight clothing prevents any injuries such as "tearing of the skin" to the player. I thought Coach Cook handled the caller very well even though she insisted that the VB clothes were not appropriate.

I remember that lady calling in to Sports Nighlty about the clothing. In fact I believe I have a recording of it somewhere in my archives. Coach Cook tried toexplain to the lady that when a player goes to the floor, baggy clothing can actually tear the skin of the player. Because VB players do alot of digging and sliding on the floor the tight clothing prevents any injuries such as "tearing of the skin" to the player. I thought Coach Cook handled the caller very well even though she insisted that the VB clothes were not appropriate.

thank you sir. I knew there would be someone else that remembered it as well. Did she not seem pretty distraught? And, I would be shocked if she was under 70 years old.

Rule 7.1.1 within the Official NCAA Volleyball rules states that:

The playing uniform consists of a jersey plus shorts/briefs, pants or culottes (one- or two-piece). Gym shoes are required equipment.

7.1.1.1 With the exception of the libero, teammates must wear uniforms of the same color, style, cut and trim, including sleeve length. (Exception:

Rule 12.1.3.) Manufacturers’ logos and lettering on uniforms are not required to be identical. Shoes, socks and kneepads are not considered a

part of the uniform and are not required to be identical.

So they're allowed to wear gym shorts. They just choose not to. And the girls like it.

Tood, you know more high school players than I do. Do they ever say anything about the butt-huggers? I've never heard any player complain that they don't want to wear them.

This is where I think there could be more of a problem. There are a lot of high school girls who ... shall we say ... will not become Division 1 athletes. And I would imagine would really rather not wear them but that's what everyone else does so it's either wear them or don't play. I could see where that would be a tough spot to be put in.

I haven't heard any of the girls (High School/Club) complain about the shorts. Comfort/cooling are what they say they like about the huggers. I'm trying to find a photo/vid of a team that played in Colorado Club Regionals(U17) last year that I thought was wearing a different type of shorts.

thank you sir. I knew there would be someone else that remembered it as well. Did she not seem pretty distraught? And, I would be shocked if she was under 70 years old.

I found the recording of the question.

Caller: I was just wondering about the uniforms. Why do they have to be so short and why dont they wear bicycle shorts? Is there some reason?

Cook: Well, those are kinda like bicycle shorts that we wear. There are some teams that wear less than we do. The thing is Bard, when they go to the floor, you have to have tight fitting clothing because if you have loose fitting clothing it will grab your skin when you go to the floor and it will create major bruises and it will tear their skin. So that is one of the reasons why they wear tight fitting clothing so when they go to the floor they dont damage their skin.

Caller: I don't believe that.

Cook: Well, ask anyone who has played at this level and.....

Caller: Try it the other way.

John Baylor: Okay thats all we wil do with that.

And with that they moved on to another topic.

I found the recording of the question.

Caller: I was just wondering about the uniforms. Why do they have to be so short and why dont they wear bicycle shorts? Is there some reason?

Cook: Well, those are kinda like bicycle shorts that we wear. There are some teams that wear less than we do. The thing is Bard, when they go to the floor, you have to have tight fitting clothing because if you have loose fitting clothing it will grab your skin when you go to the floor and it will create major bruises and it will tear their skin. So that is one of the reasons why they wear tight fitting clothing so when they go to the floor they dont damage their skin.

Caller: I don't believe that.

Cook: Well, ask anyone who has played at this level and.....

Caller: Try it the other way.

John Baylor: Okay thats all we wil do with that.

And with that they moved on to another topic.

Nice find. I thought there was more to it than that. I was wrong. I thought Cook mentioned something about rules. I was wrong. She was quite upset, that's for sure. Maybe she was the parent of a catholic school or something.