Randy York: Was Nebraska a catalyst in 'Bama dynasty?

Nexus

I just believe there are a lot of people out there who think Saban is some sort of coaching genius. I don't think he is. His defenses and offenses aren't anything unique and they don't need to be. He's got a team full of NFL caliber players so he can play simple, fundamental, line up, punch football. Now with that said, Saban can recruit. He's good at it, he's got an eye for it and for in order him to be as successful as he's been he's needed those players. With Alabama being smack dab in the middle of prime recruiting country, Saban can pick apart all the states around him. Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, jump a couple states over into Texas, his own state, ect. ect... Life is good for Saban.

The only reason Saban would be any better than Bo at Nebraska (now) is because of his resume. Prior to his championships and success I don't think Saban would be anything over the top, best coach in the land material at Nebraska. He would hate it at Nebraska.

Saban is a top level recruiter and coach. That is the difference between him and so many others. It's what made Carrol successful and what has made Saban successful. He does get top recruits, but he also identifies guys that fit his program. Rarely does his teams beat themselves, and they are alway prepared. If he stays around for a while his true test will be whether he can bring in new coaches to replaces those that move one. Thats what has doomed Stoops at Oklahoma.

I wouldn't compare him to Osborne. You should look up how he treats professional football players. A bit interesting....and not something to praise whatsoever. It involved him coaching at the Dolphins.

Please don't tell me you are referring to this video. Players are becoming soft & coddled nowadays and Saban was just being assertive and counteracting that, nothing out of line. I think him making a player more mentally tough is definitely praise-worthy and part of why he's such a good coach.