Where B1G Players Come From

Muck

Found this on a Buckeye blog and while it is a bit Ohio centric it still might be of interest to the folks here...

What the data says about where B1G players call home

.../snip/...

Ohio is as important a recruiting ground as they come: the Buckeye State is the second most-common state of origin on the rosters of SIX teams in the conference (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern and Wisconsin), and comes in third on a seventh (Iowa). Counting Ohio State, that means Ohio recruits are among the largest factions on EIGHT of 12 teams in the Big Ten.

Other fun facts:

• On average (and not counting Ohio State, 11.5% of a team's roster is comprised of Ohio talent.
  • Ohio State has the highest percentage of in-state talent of any team in the B1G: 68%
  • Purdue has the lowest percentage of in-state talent of any team in the B1G: 23%
  • Ohio State is the only team in the conference to feature >50% in-state talent on its roster.
  • The average B1G team roster is comprised of only 42.9% home-state players.
  • Six Canadians play in the B1G, including three on the Iowa bench, and one each for the Spartans, Wolverines and Nittany Lions.
  • Two Australians play in the conference, Indiana freshman Marcus Kinsella and Iowa sophomore punter Jonny Mullings, both punters
  • The average B1G team features players from roughly 20 different states; Nebraska is the most diverse with 24 states represented, while Michigan State is the least diverse at only 15 states on the roster (Ohio State and Wisconsin each have players from only 16 states on the 2012 roster).
  • Ohio players make up 24% of the Spartans' roster and 21% of the Wolverines'
  • Ohio State is the only team in the conference that doesn't have at least one additional state represented by more than 10% of its roster
  • Not surprisingly, Florida is a very important state for B1G recruits: six teams have the state as the #2 or #3 most-represented state on their rosters, and Purdue actually has as many players from Florida on the 2012 roll as it did players from Indiana (23% each).
  • Penn State's #2 state for current players to call home is Maryland, with 13%; three teams have Texas listed as their #2 state (Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern).

.../cont/...

vsjns4.png

(The original full size version of the map is HERE)

There is also some discrepancy in numbers between the article and the map (6 Canadian players in the B1G in the article vs 3 listed on the map).

66 seems pretty high for Nebraska. I doubt there's that many players in all of D-1 football from Nebraska, let alone the B1G.

I assume they're counting the entire roster, including walk-ons.

Good points.

If you go to the article I linked above the very first line mentions the map as an inspiration and has a link to where it was put up by a random poster. The discussion where it was originally linked has no further information about the source of the map itself so it's hard to say exactly what it covers (perhaps it is listing where B1G players were from during years 'x to y' rather than those on teams right now).

FWIW the numbers in the article do not come from the map, instead they were independent research by the author & cover current rosters.

66 seems pretty high for Nebraska. I doubt there's that many players in all of D-1 football from Nebraska, let alone the B1G.

I assume they're counting the entire roster, including walk-ons.

Good points.

If you go to the article I linked above the very first line mentions the map as an inspiration and has a link to where it was put up by a random poster. The discussion where it was originally linked has no further information about the source of the map itself so it's hard to say exactly what it covers (perhaps it is listing where B1G players were from during years 'x to y' rather than those on teams right now).

FWIW the numbers in the article do not come from the map, instead they were independent research by the author & cover current rosters.

Good to know. I still think 66 may be too high even counting the entire rosters of B1G teams. It's possible though.

I count 66 on our 2012 roster, but there are also a couple on Iowa's team. Incidentally, there are also a few at Kansas state and Iowa state and a half dozen or so playing for solich at Ohio.

Despite Flounder Hoke's confusion, the Bobcat's are not members of the B1G. ;)

Seriously though thanks for doing that legwork. It's certainly plausible that whoever made the map just looked at the official rosters on every school's website, most (if not all) of which make no distinction between scholarship players & walk-ons.