Greatest NU Offensive Lineman

TGHusker

Who is the greatest NU O lineman? First place is pretty evident - an important award is named after him - Remmington.

Who else should be consdered and where would you rank them.

Which team(s) had the best overall OL in NUs history? 1982 &1983 and 1995 IMHO

Besides Dominic Raiola, I cannot think of one OL from the 2000's that should be on this list. Is that because:

1. Style of offense has changed - we've passed much more than in previous decades - thus less of an emphasis on run blocking & pancakes

2. Poor recruiting

This is my list

Dave Remmington

Dean Steinkuhler

Will Shields

Zach Wiegert

Aaron Taylor

Bob Brown

Brenden Stai

Dominic Raiola

Jake Young

Got to love this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Besides Dominic Raiola, I cannot think of one OL from the 2000's that should be on this list. Is that because:

1. Style of offense has changed - we've passed much more than in previous decades - thus less of an emphasis on run blocking & pancakes

2. Poor recruiting

is it me or do you ask this in each of these threads you've started?

I think it is you. First time I asked this question. It was an honest ?? Can you think of a post-Solich OL that should be on this list? I cannot and I don't have an answer. The positive answer is that our style of offence has changed and we are more balanced run to pass - thus less of a chance of a Outland winner. The negative answer is that we haven't recruited and develope OL like we use to. :dunno

2. Poor recruiting

I think it is you. First time I asked this question. It was an honest ?? Can you think of a post-Solich OL that should be on this list? I cannot and I don't have an answer. The positive answer is that our style of offence has changed and we are more balanced run to pass - thus less of a chance of a Outland winner. The negative answer is that we haven't recruited and develope OL like we use to. :dunno

Spencer Long?

Tyler Moore?

The reason these guys are considered the "greatest" especially Tyler Moore, is because championships weren't won.

I hope some of the older, more seasoned posters could help me out here because I'm clueless on this one. I understand the '90's run will never happen again, it was the perfect alignment of the stars, with partial qualifiers, no CCG's, no BCS, switch from 5-2 to 4-3 defense and coming up big on several recruits. However, one factor of that run is one that I scratch my head as to why it still can't happen today. We use to corner the market on the some of the best linemen in the country, home-grown right in the great state of Nebraska. Anyone know what the reason is as to why we can't keep churning out these corn-fed, steak-n-tater eating big boys from the plains and consistently have All-American Offensive Lines? We still have farms there in Nebraska that these kids can get "country strong" on and develop the work ethic and strength that will help them succeed on the football field.

I hope some of the older, more seasoned posters could help me out here because I'm clueless on this one. I understand the '90's run will never happen again, it was the perfect alignment of the stars, with partial qualifiers, no CCG's, no BCS, switch from 5-2 to 4-3 defense and coming up big on several recruits. However, one factor of that run is one that I scratch my head as to why it still can't happen today. We use to corner the market on the some of the best linemen in the country, home-grown right in the great state of Nebraska. Anyone know what the reason is as to why we can't keep churning out these corn-fed, steak-n-tater eating big boys from the plains and consistently have All-American Offensive Lines? We still have farms there in Nebraska that these kids can get "country strong" on and develop the work ethic and strength that will help them succeed on the football field.

Kids are more lazy now days. Partying and playing video games are more important lol. Basically, kids are less disciplined now. There are still a lot of these "Farmer" kids out there, just less to pick from.

Agreed though, we need more instate talent for the offensive line. Ricky Henery was the most recent OL we had instate, but had to go JUCO first, due to academics. I also think if we had him all 4 years, he could have been an All American.

Not that they werent talented coming out of high school, but it was more of our S&C being far superior to anything in the country that would develope them into that elite lineman. Also the pride they had in the program that they were willing to bust their but everyday for it. That pride was lost about 10 years ago, and I still think we're trying to find it again. That pride also trickles down through the high school kids. They use to work to strive to wanna play for Nebraska, regardless if they legitimately had a shot. Now, I'm not so sure.

2. Poor recruiting

Spencer Long?

Tyler Moore?

The reason these guys are considered the "greatest" especially Tyler Moore, is because championships weren't won.

Good observation. Would you place them on this list?

Agreed, accountability. In addition, Boyd Epley talked about "recruiting bone structure, then building linemen." It seems that was as much an art as it was a science in those years.

Add to that: once a 'pipeline' is established it feeds itself. In the "OLD DAYS" many of our linemen had the luxury of redshirting a year. By the time they were Seniors the line was like a machine. Can you imagine no sacks allowed for an entire year & very limited penalties - 1995.

On the flip side, once the pipeline is broken, it takes years to get it working again. I think we are getting closer. Consistency at coaching helps - If Bo can keep the same group of coaches together we should see better results. After BC's firing, we had a lot of revolving doors wt our new coaching staff. Hopefully, our "on the job coaching training" will start to pay off - if these assistant coaches show loyalty and stay in the program long term.

And, i also agree to an extent that our style of play, as well as the style of play of football in general in those days did not require the near exclusive use of the taller, lankier type of lineman we're accustomed to today. Back then it was more about power and center of gravity. We utilized numerous shorter, stockier types of guys. Now-a-days it's all about height. The 6'6's, 6'7's for the sake of range and reach and being able to get the athleticism out of a 320 pounder.

It's just a different game today than it was then. It's no different than trying compare Martinez to Frazier, in my eyes anyways.

You covered most of the ones i could think of. hmm

One of my favorites was Richie Incognito.

Matt Slausen,and Russ Hochstein.were pretty good too.

Incognito (best name ever by the way) was a beast. Friend of mine encountered him at a part as a freshman and provided a detailed description of what Richie did to some kid who pushed his buttons. Dude was mean. Could you imagine what he wouldve done to Borland of Wisconsin at the CCG when he tried to bodyslam Taylor. Richie was always gettin PF penalties.