Braylon Heard Transferring...

I truely wish Heard would have received more carries. Every time he touched the ball, he had the look of breaking it. He looked like he had the moves and the vision. I don't think he was afforded the amount of carries he should have gotten. Whether that was due to injury or lack of "work ethic", we will never know. I guess we will know more about him next season. As for Green, will see this year.

There's still nothing to be happy about in this situation, but realistically Braylon was slated to have a small role in the offense. In fact, it sounds exactly like the kind of role you'd hand to a true freshman.

I was excited to see Braylon play this year and I'm disappointed he's leaving, but what a few have posted above is right. Time to move on. Ship has sailed. Let the shunning of He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named continue. On with a long, boring offseason.

Depth behing Green when he transferred: Heard.

Depth behind Heard when he transferred: Cross, Newby, Taylor, Frazier.

All speculative of course. Cross, Newby, and Taylor could all qualify as being ahead of Heard. We just dont know yet.

Burkhead and Abdullah were ahead of Green. That was set in stone.

that's kind of the point though - the depth is 'behind' Heard. Green was likely the #4 back when he left. Heard was arguably the #2...at least at this point. Who knows where he would have ended up. Also, when Green left we had Cross, Nibity, Frazier, Nelson, etc behind him....all with equal experience as those behind Heard.

There's just a lot of unknowns at RB right now. Can Ameer carry the load? Will Cross step up and fill a role beyond a short yardage back? Will the 2 freshman live up to expectations? At the same time with Taylor likely slotted to increase his pass attempts 3-5 per game, and better WRs maybe the focus will shift more to the passing game. Then again, us in the 3rd year of the system the tempo will probably increase dramatically and there will be another 4-6 rushing plays per game just for that reason. And can we keep that tempo with freshman RBs? Knowing the playbook is key to being able to maintain that tempo. Will they have it down? (who knows if Braylon even did...but he was in his 3rd yr so I'd say he was ahead of the rest in this area)

Depth behing Green when he transferred: Heard.

Depth behind Heard when he transferred: Cross, Newby, Taylor, Frazier.

All speculative of course. Cross, Newby, and Taylor could all qualify as being ahead of Heard. We just dont know yet.

Burkhead and Abdullah were ahead of Green. That was set in stone.

that's kind of the point though - the depth is 'behind' Heard. Green was likely the #4 back when he left. Heard was arguably the #2...at least at this point. Who knows where he would have ended up. Also, when Green left we had Cross, Nibity, Frazier, Nelson, etc behind him....all with equal experience as those behind Heard.

There's just a lot of unknowns at RB right now. Can Ameer carry the load? Will Cross step up and fill a role beyond a short yardage back? Will the 2 freshman live up to expectations? At the same time with Taylor likely slotted to increase his pass attempts 3-5 per game, and better WRs maybe the focus will shift more to the passing game. Then again, us in the 3rd year of the system the tempo will probably increase dramatically and there will be another 4-6 rushing plays per game just for that reason. And can we keep that tempo with freshman RBs? Knowing the playbook is key to being able to maintain that tempo. Will they have it down? (who knows if Braylon even did...but he was in his 3rd yr so I'd say he was ahead of the rest in this area)

I also disclaimered it by saying that Newby, Cross, and Taylor could all wind up ahead of Heard. I think this is what he was seeing. That he was gonna have to bust tail just to stay out of the #5 spot on the depth chart.

Ameer can carry the load. We know that already. He just did a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Towards the end of the season he was worn...he looked like crap against Iowa. Rex played a lot of snaps against Wisconsin 1.0, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin 2.0 and Georgia (nearly all of them).

Abdulla basically sat out the Idaho St, Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and Georgia games....barely racking up 50 carries in those 6 games. That's 40%+ of the season he was absent. I don't think it's proven yet that he can carry the load. We need him in there 100% for 14 games.

Towards the end of the season he was worn...he looked like crap against Iowa. Rex played a lot of snaps against Wisconsin 1.0, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin 2.0 and Georgia (nearly all of them).

Abdulla basically sat out the Idaho St, Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and Georgia games....barely racking up 50 carries in those 6 games. That's 40%+ of the season he was absent. I don't think it's proven yet that he can carry the load. We need him in there 100% for 14 games.

To be fair to Abdullah, he had 226 carries and was still fielding punts and kicks. It's feasible to think that if you take away the punt and kick returns he might not have been "worn". Also, Burkhead was the feature back and was going to get the bulk of the snaps if he was healthy to play. Abdullah was going to get much fewer carries during those times. And everyone looked like crap at Iowa. The score reflected that.

I see what youre saying. Youre looking at it from a season-long aspect whereas I'm looking at it on a game by game basis. Can he carry the load for a particular game? Yes. For the whole season every week? Probably not. Not many-if any-can with out becoming wore out. So i agree with you there. Just a different perspective of looking at it I guess. Yes, staff is going to have to find a way to get Ameer his rest whenever possible against the SDSU's and Purdues and such.

As far as the Iowa game goes, everyone looked like crap against Iowa. Winds howling at 40 mph with the chill in the teens. Ron Brown said after that game that they had to go away from any toss plays becuase the wind was affecting the pitches and that the shotgun snaps were even bein affected. That whole game was just a complete shitshow.