Cheapest Obama care to cost $20,000 per IRS

I will admit that this article is confusing and from a "conservative site", but damn, 20k for the Bronze (cheapest plan). Who the hell can afford that plan? Sure doesn't seem like this is affordable care. Maybe I am missing something. Someone smarter, feel free to explain in common terms.

http://cnsnews.com/n...be-20000-family

If I am reading correctly, the fine is $2400? I like the fact that they show a family of 5 making 120K What about the whole "middle class" that make a whole lot less than that?

If the average income is 26K, how does this family pay 20k for insurance?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/us-incomes-falling-as-optimism-reaches-10-year-low_n_1022118.html

i am not one of those smarter people you are looking for, but at a quick glance i will say this: that is $20,000 per year for a family of 5. that is (20,000/5)/12=$330.00 per person per month. honestly, that might be about right. people who have good healthcare provided by their employer do not know how good they have it. my wife works for the state and it is a huge relief. the rest of it is pretty complicated and i really did not read much beyond the first few paragraphs.

also, it could be a lot less than that for the 'penalty'.

Bronze will be the lowest tier health-insurance plan available under Obamacare--after Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Under the law, the penalty for not buying health insurance is supposed to be capped at either the annual average Bronze premium, 2.5 percent of taxable income, or $2,085.00 per family in 2016.

(underline added by me)

i am not one of those smarter people you are looking for, but at a quick glance i will say this: that is $20,000 per year for a family of 5. that is (20,000/5)/12=$330.00 per person per month. honestly, that might be about right. people who have good healthcare provided by their employer do not know how good they have it. my wife works for the state and it is a huge relief. the rest of it is pretty complicated and i really did not read much beyond the first few paragraphs.

Bronze will be the lowest tier health-insurance plan available under Obamacare--after Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Under the law, the penalty for not buying health insurance is supposed to be capped at either the annual average Bronze premium, 2.5 percent of taxable income, or $2,085.00 per family in 2016.

(underline added by me)

IIRC, large companies will have the option to either cover their employers or discontinue covering in 2014. This is what I was told by our Health Insurance Rep when he came in a month ago, explaining why we had an increase. Of course, we had questions on how Obamacare was going to effect us.

(underline added by me)

I know my plan (to my knowledge) isn't dependent on the number of people on it. I have a family plan with a set monthly payment and annual deductible. Looks like a lot of folks will just pay the fine.

$20,000 divided by 12 is $1667/mo. That is fairly steep for a family plan but not astronomical. However, if this is basically a third tier "bronze" option, it is ridiculously high. I pay about $1000/mo for a family plan and that is about as cheap as coverage gets. In group health plans the number of people in the family does not matter. You have four options; employee only, employee &spouse, employee & children, or family. I could get what I would consider between a silver and gold plan for about $1500/mo. If that helps ya out any....

(underline added by me)

No, it's not.

(underline added by me)

No, it's not.

ok.

Actually, now that I have read the article and learned there is a platinum level and bronze is really fourth tier and the lowest option, this is just plain ridiculus. I've long suspected the idiots in Washington didn't have a clue and this helps confirm it. I guess when Obama talks about helping the middle class he envisions a family of four with a household income north of $150k. Nobody is going to be able to afford any of these four level options. And if they can afford it, the can go the private route for a whole bunch less. What it will do is cause private plan rates to increase faster and go even higher. Thanks for the butt reaming Obama. You suck.

this story may be a little misleading. the subsidy for buying from the insurance exchange is for lower income families ($88,000 per year). they give a higher income family for their example. they would already be on a plan at a cheaper rate. health care exchanges are for lower income families that do not have no other options (hopefully they become competitive with the private sector) and then they still get a tax credit to help pay for the premiums. the costs in company payroll systems will still be much cheaper.

they are just looking at the worst case scenarios for people choosing to sign up for the gov't plan, which no one has to do.

You may be absolutely right sd'sker. I might have come unhinged a little prematurely by not taking into account any subsidy that might kick in at a lower income level. But, I still stand by the morons in DC not having a clue about the average citizen. $20K for the lowest level plan tells me they don't get it on a basic level. But hell why would they? They probably get some platinum type plan fully on the backs of us taxpayers. That's like expecting people in Hollywood to understand life on the plains.

You may be absolutely right sd'sker. I might have come unhinged a little prematurely by not taking into account any subsidy that might kick in at a lower income level. But, I still stand by the morons in DC not having a clue about the average citizen. $20K for the lowest level plan tells me they don't get it on a basic level. But hell why would they? They probably get some platinum type plan fully on the backs of us taxpayers. That's like expecting people in Hollywood to understand life on the plains.

i still do not fully understand the article and how healthcare exchanges will be executed. i am pretty sure they will be different in every state.

i do agree that politicians are pretty hypocritical. they all get top of the line healthcare that we pay for and then do nothing to help lower the average families premiums. they are all (and i do mean all) in bed with big medicine. if anything, obamacare will turn out to be a huge boon for health insurance companies.

(also, i did not think you were that unhinged)

We are just now working through the effects of Obamacare. Our company is just starting to look at our health insurance renewal. I am being told some pretty ridiculous stuff by one source that we may be forced to do. I'm not sure I trust just this one source so I'm not going to get into a discussion about it here until it's confirmed.

But, if true, it's pretty pathetic.

We are just now working through the effects of Obamacare. Our company is just starting to look at our health insurance renewal. I am being told some pretty ridiculous stuff by one source that we may be forced to do. I'm not sure I trust just this one source so I'm not going to get into a discussion about it here until it's confirmed.

Since the business I own is small, we don't have extraneous people around to be in charge of these types of things so many of them fall on me and that includes the fun yearly health plan selection and renewal process. I use a broker for help and to answer questions but, this time around, there was so much BS about the ACA changes that I just ignored it all. At this point, I don't give a flying F. We're small enough that if the government even begins to hassle me I'll just cancel the whole group health plan. That's where I'm at with it. And, if they don't like that, they can also have the keys to the flippin building. Life's too short for all this regulatory BS. They always portray it as helping the little guy but all they really do is make it so tough on you to attempt the right things that you wanna go take a job flippin burgers at Mickey D's.

Since the business I own is small, we don't have extraneous people around to be in charge of these types of things so many of them fall on me and that includes the fun yearly health plan selection and renewal process. I use a broker for help and to answer questions but, this time around, there was so much BS about the ACA changes that I just ignored it all. At this point, I don't give a flying F. We're small enough that if the government even begins to hassle me I'll just cancel the whole group health plan. That's where I'm at with it. And, if they don't like that, they can also have the keys to the flippin building. Life's too short for all this regulatory BS. They always portray it as helping the little guy but all they really do is make it so tough on you to attempt the right things that you wanna go take a job flippin burgers at Mickey D's.

It's where my Dad is with his small business. He's spent the last 10 years pinchin pennies and buryin cash. He gets hassled too much more, he's just gonna shut the doors. Tough f'ing sh#t to those the work for him, and farm the 150 acres that he's been doing for a glorified hobby for some money, and live off the cash he has. He's old enought that he really does not give a damn anymore.