Is Gov. Heinemen a "special person"

Just a question, someone please explain if possible....

Governor Heinemen wants to rid the state of income tax to make it attractive to investors and business owners.

Big businesses say it is a horrible idea and they will leave if his new policy is passed as law....

Heinemen then vows to "fight businesses" to pass his proposal...

What don't I get?

If our fine governor didn't propose these tax reforms and at least make a token effort to pass them, you do realize that his paycheck at whatever think tank or lobbying job he lands after public service will be considerably smaller? Stop thinking about yourself and our state for once, and start thinking about poor Dave's prospects in a few years.

• Fire 1

My personal opinion, the guy is a tool, and will lie to whomever is in front of him....(personal experience of my Father and approximately 92 other county employees)

I just want to believe, as a citizen of Nebraska, that he might actually have our best interests in mind.....I give up!

• Fire 1

Governor Heinemen wants to rid the state of income tax to make it attractive to investors and business owners.

Big businesses say it is a horrible idea and they will leave if his new policy is passed as law....

What don't I get?

Could you provide some links? I'm curious what "big businesses" are saying.

What don't I get?

omaha.com

journalstar.com

norfolkdailynews.com

Loziers said they will go to Council Bluffs. Farmers would be destroyed. Basically, all manufacturing jobs and agricultral jobs (aka "The Good Life") would be decimated...Peoples' INCOME would be taxed before they even have a chance to make it.

What don't I get?

omaha.com

journalstar.com

norfolkdailynews.com

Loziers said they will go to Council Bluffs. Farmers would be destroyed. Basically, all manufacturing jobs and agricultral jobs (aka "The Good Life") would be decimated...Peoples' INCOME would be taxed before they even have a chance to make it.

Thanks. Apparently I had been too focused on recruiting lately to keep up with what's going on.

My personal opinion, the guy is a tool, and will lie to whomever is in front of him....(personal experience of my Father and approximately 92 other county employees)

I just want to believe, as a citizen of Nebraska, that he might actually have our best interests in mind.....I give up!

Funny I said the same thing one time and got told off by somebody that he was a nice pleasant guy to work with. But if you have a parent who works for the state/county/city in some capacity you can hear some not so pretty stories about him if they aren't on the same page he is. In my opinion the guy is a sleaze ball and will do whatever is politically popular at the time, case in point the pipeline.

Right now he wants to do a major overall of our tax system to "modernize it" but things seem to be working pretty well the way they are now. We have plenty of new age business investing in the state and if it weren't for a drought agriculture would be humming along as usual. Yes the budget needed to be dialed back, but that may have been a result of bad projections brought about by the recession.

Well, this is a pretty important issue for me.

First off, to answer the question in the title....I don't know the Governor well but I have been around him several times in situations a little more than a casual hand shake. I have always liked the guy and have voted for him. I don't work for the state but the comments I have always heard said about him from state employees is based around budget issues. The state has a balanced budget amendment that I fully support. With that, sometimes things need cut that people feel are important. The comments I have heard from state employees is no different than what I have heard from private sector employees the last 4-5 years when companies are trying to survive. So, in those situations...sorry, I don't have this sympathy card for state employees any more than the private sector employees that are stuck in this crappy economy.

All that said, getting to the tax proposal, this really really really sucks for us and I will oppose it all the way. This bill potentially would cost our company, as a manufacturer, a huge amount of money every year.

What I absolutely don't get is the argument that he is doing this to create jobs but then turns around and claims he is going to "fight big business" that is opposing it and threatening to leave the state if it goes through.

Nebraska is at a disadvantage to many parts of the country for lots of jobs. We need every advantage we can get. Passing this bill will do nothing but kill economic development in the state.