Interview with the Seal that Killed UBL

For the first time, the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden tells his story — speaking not just about the raid and the three shots that changed history, but about the personal aftermath for himself and his family. And the startling failure of the United States government to help its most experienced and skilled warriors carry on with their lives.

Read more: Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden - Treatment of Veteran Who Shot bin Laden - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313-2#ixzz2KcXovQW8

[/left]

• Fire 3

UBL= Usama Bin Laden?

Yes, it can be spelled either Osama or Usama. Probably something to do with Arabic to English translation, similar to how the spelling of the country Qatar is not accurate to how it is pronounced since there is no such consonant sounds in the English language.

[O]ne of the main cruxes of the piece—that the the SEAL shooter receives no health coverage from the government—is inaccurate. Like other Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, asserts McCloskey, the SEAL is eligible for five years of free medical care upon retirement, a factEsquire writer Phil Bronstein left out of his piece.

http://gawker.com/5983541/despite-esquire-storys-claims-the-seal-who-shot-osama-has-access-to-health-care

[O]ne of the main cruxes of the piece—that the the SEAL shooter receives no health coverage from the government—is inaccurate. Like other Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, asserts McCloskey, the SEAL is eligible for five years of free medical care upon retirement, a factEsquire writer Phil Bronstein left out of his piece.

http://gawker.com/59...-to-health-care

He gets it but he has no health insurance for his kids or wife. This is one of the many reasons why DOD is entertaining the idea of changing the retirement/health benefits rules. A lot of these guys are doing 8-10 years, deployed 75% of the time then getting out of the military for a more normal life but get nothing in return. The idea is, each member would receive some type of pension based on the number of years served plus any extenuating circumstances. When I first learned of this idea I thought it was a bullsh#t idea. Retirement should be left to those of us who served 20 or more years. But stories like this guys has slowly started to change my point of view.

• Fire 1

Good read but over the course of the last few days I've watched several pieces on the Military Channel about this subject and there are several inconsistencies in the Esquire article. First the target of the mission was kept secret until the helocopters were in the air. Team Six trained for the mission for a month in Afganistan before going in. And most disturbing for me bin Ladden was shot once in the chest and once in the left eye. Makes me scratch my head and wonder why two different accounts of the same situation.

I feel for this guys personal situation but most of these guys go on to good paying jobs with security firms when they retire.

T_O_B