Head of Husker Recruiting Candidates

KickThePig

The more I think about this, the less it concerns me. The teams currently "winning" the recruiting war and already signing the "top" recruits can still only sign 25 each year on average, it's not like they are now going to be able to sign 40. Nebraska already out-spends the rest of the B1G on recruiting. So any doubts that we can afford to or will do whatever is necessary to make this an advantage? No.

In the long run, it probably helps the coaches as maybe they can now focus more on coaching, and hire additional staff to do the planning/organizing/administrative/texting/tweeting/emailing/fatheads/etc.

I am not sure which way we will go on this. If the regulations that have been suggested stand, it will most likely call for additional staff of some sort. I believe the staff as we know it will probably do the recruiting (final sale) but we will have several people involved in the maintenance (overseeing, scheduling and following up) with potential recruits as well as a few people who look and review potential targets and forward their thoughts to the coaches on staff to review potential. Do we need a big name recruiter or someone who has been in the limelight and is known for their recruiting abilities? Not sure that our present staff is of that mindset as they like to keep things close to the vest with those they trust.

I think some of you are interpretting my post as a slam on Kevin Steels resume and abilities. It's not. My comments are just an opinion I have that many are just over-analyzing what this position is actually going to be about. Kevin Steel is very good at what he does. However, he is not going to sell Bama or Saban anymore then those two already do on their own. I see it as being more of a manager of the recruiting processes than a salesman of the program.

Be honest. He's a douchebag and the majority of the staff and TO were ok with him moving on. I believe he's a regret in TO's eyes even though he was ok at his job because of who he is as a person.

I think some of you are interpretting my post as a slam on Kevin Steels resume and abilities. It's not. My comments are just an opinion I have that many are just over-analyzing what this position is actually going to be about. Kevin Steel is very good at what he does. However, he is not going to sell Bama or Saban anymore then those two already do on their own. I see it as being more of a manager of the recruiting processes than a salesman of the program.

Be honest. He's a douchebag and the majority of the staff and TO were ok with him moving on. I believe he's a regret in TO's eyes even though he was ok at his job because of who he is as a person.

You serious clark? I seriously dont anything about that or anything negative that went on. Care to elaborate?

You serious clark? I seriously dont anything about that or anything negative that went on. Care to elaborate?

He was an arrogant a-hole that very few players or coaches liked. Most people only tolerated him if he picked them as his favorite and he did this quite often. One of the best stories is how he benched a Sr. LB who was a co-caption of the team Randall Jobman to play one of "his guys" who was either a RSF or Sophmore. He bad mouthed our former starter left and right etc and made up a justification for why the other guy should start. Well we got into the 4th quarter of the OU game and the young guy was getting beat left and right and his head was spinning. So he went over to Randall and told him to get in the game. (hes been riding the bench several games now) and he says to Steele "no thanks" in a few different words and he goes ape sh#t on the kid on the side lines and threatens to kick his ass if he wont get in the game. No one held him back, he looked like a fool and Randall refused to go in.

He was also very abrasive toward other coaches and often tried to change the schemes from what they wanted and just plain bad for team chemistry. He was hired because he was a recruiter and he did that very well.

Bill Callahan.

I'm sorry but we're going to have to ask you to log out and never come back to the board.

Say what you will, but the man could do a few things well, one of them being the ability to attract top talent. He just could not do a lot of things well, which doesn't cut it for a head coach at Nebraska. He was stretched too thin and couldn't focus on his strengths because he had to divert some of his attention to the little details of running a program that Bo is better at managing. Bill Callahan has huge downside risk as head coach, that's already been proven here.

But hiring him as a head of recruiting hedges that coaching risk to a very low level and in my opinion would be a boon for the program since you're allowing him to specialize at what he's good at. I was kind of amazed that the guy could so consistently attract the interest of elite recruits, because he seems like an extremely bland and boring guy that couldn't sell something to save his life, but his results speak for themselves. Pair a recruiting whiz with an ace developer in Bo (and a better head of the program) and you have an ideal combo.

HuskerBoard is going to consult with The Bobs

^^ I don't think I'm making too outrageous of a case in the post above yours. There's mostly agreeable things in there. Obviously I'm ignoring the whole awkward staff dynamic of having a former HC work for the guy who replaced him, but it was more of a theoretical exercise than one rooted in practicality.

HuskerBoard is going to consult with The Bobs

^^ I don't think I'm making too outrageous of a case in the post above yours. There's mostly agreeable things in there. Obviously I'm ignoring the whole awkward staff dynamic of having a former HC work for the guy who replaced him, but it was more of a theoretical exercise than one rooted in practicality.

I wasn't commenting on your post. More so da Skers'. Would have said it regardless.