2015 In-State Prospects

Anyways.....

Some of the names to watch for so far are:

WR CJ Johnson. The potential is there for him to become a solid WR. There are many areas of improvement needed, but you can see the potential. At times he catches the ball at its highest point, runs good routes at times, can take on press coverage and beat it, and does a good job of using his body to position himself to make catches. Needs to become more concisest with crisp route running, catching the ball with his hands, etc. Depending on how well he develops and how his junior season goes, I could see some offers besides Nebraska coming his way.

RB Calvin Strong. Everyone that follows Nebraska recruiting has heard about him. Already attended a Junior Day and met with the coaching staff to learn study his film.

Those are two names on the radar so far.

no offense to Nebraska kids (well maybe a little) - but if you're a skill position player...maybe the Huskers aren't the place for you. We need to go south for those guys. Now, if you're a a 305lb OL...let's talk.

I see what you are trying to say, but Calvin Strong is a kid we will be lucky to have.

no offense to Nebraska kids (well maybe a little) - but if you're a skill position player...maybe the Huskers aren't the place for you. We need to go south for those guys. Now, if you're a a 305lb OL...let's talk.

Yup. There have never been elite skill players from Nebraska. Ball carriers from omaha have a particularly lackluster history at NU and the NFL. Oh, wait, you're serious.

Yup. There have never been elite skill players from Nebraska. Ball carriers from omaha have a particularly lackluster history at NU and the NFL. Oh, wait, you're serious.

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt, I see what he is trying to say. As in we haven't produced kids at the skilled positions in clusters like the Southern states have, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't grab the kids that come our way. I would like to have Clay Fisher in this class and Calvin Strong in the next one.

For those who have seen Calvin Strong play, how would you say he stacks up on a national level? I hear that he is probably the best in-state skill guy in a while, but in the little I've seen of him I haven't been super impressed. Obviously he is only a sophomore, but he seemed undersized and lacking in breakaway speed compared to other kids around the country.

For those who have seen Calvin Strong play, how would you say he stacks up on a national level? I hear that he is probably the best in-state skill guy in a while, but in the little I've seen of him I haven't been super impressed. Obviously he is only a sophomore, but he seemed undersized and lacking in breakaway speed compared to other kids around the country.

How much 2015 RB recruits film have you seen? What are you comparing him to? Juniors? Seniors? Point of reference.

Do you mean skill positions players like Rodgers, Green, & Crouch to name just three. Talent isn't relegated to the South & West only. They have more of it, but it isn't any better.Higher population area's playing football nearly year round, red shirting in HS, Some have more opportunity to develop that talent due to the area in which they grow up. Thus making them more polished and higher rated. It doesn't necessarily mean a three star isn't better talent wise. Selling the home state kids short, without considering the added element out of state player don't possess. Grow up in Nebraska and being able to play for them is a dream come true for most. Perhaps a little shorter on talent than another, but a better player due to emotional commitment. Obviously I don't agree with you. I apologize for being so long winded.

Do you mean skill positions players like Rodgers, Green, & Crouch to name just three. Talent isn't relegated to the South & West only. They have more of it, but it isn't any better.Higher population area's playing football nearly year round, red shirting in HS, Some have more opportunity to develop that talent due to the area in which they grow up. Thus making them more polished and higher rated. It doesn't necessarily mean a three star isn't better talent wise. Selling the home state kids short, without considering the added element out of state player don't possess. Grow up in Nebraska and being able to play for them is a dream come true for most. Perhaps a little shorter on talent than another, but a better player due to emotional commitment. Obviously I don't agree with you. I apologize for being so long winded.

haha - I knew I was gonna catch crap for that. And you really don't think it's any better in the southwest? Ammeer/Rex/Turner/Carnes/Moore/Cross (and that's just in the last couple years). I'm not talking about ratings - i'm just talking strictly about performance. Sure, you can throw out players from 20 years ago...but I think we can all agree the game (and the recruiting landscape) is very different today than it was back then. It's been a long time since we've had a scholly skill position player make much of a contribution. Lets look at the last decade... (and I'm partially going off memory in regards to some of their performance so I might be missing some things)

David Horne 4* RB - Remember him? Me either.

Mark LeFlore 4* WR - Never more than a couple hundred yards of receiving in a season

Andy Birkel 3* WR - Never made it past his freshman year

Niles Paul 4* WR - (laughing) - still the best skill position player from the state of Nebraska in over a decade - that's saying a lot huh?

John Levorson 3* ATH - (giggling & hungry...because I am high like he was most of his career)

Collins Okafor 3* RB - yawn

Bronson Marsh 2* ATH/QB - gone

Tyler Evans 2* ATH/WR - jury still out...

...that's it, 12 recruiting classes and the best we got was Niles Paul

The dearth of local skill players in recent years certainly hasn't helped during the last decade. That's no reason to give up on talented local kids when they do emerge. The game hasn't changed that much since we won with local speedsters going back for decades. Talent is talent no matter where it comes from. Ask Danny woodhead, whom we damn sure should have offered.

Also, laugh all you want at niles paul, but he was an all-league player that made a lot of big plays for us and now collects nfl pay checks.

Laugh all you want at niles paul, but he was an all-league player that made a lot of big plays for us and now collects nfl pay checks.

As a TE - where he should have played while he was at Nebraska. He wouldn't have hardly seen the field as a WR with the talent we have currently. His career at NU was a product of the situation and not of his own making.