Alamo Ticket Sales

Nebraska has how many people living in it and Michigan has how many? I have heard that excuse about being the only sport in town to watch, but that's just all it is. An excuse. Take Texas for example. They have the Longwhores, the Aggies, and Texas Tech as college football teams. Yet their stadiums are always full. They also have no problem filling their basketball stadium. Count on top of that the 3 NBA teams (Dallas, Houtons, San Antonio) which don't have problems selling seats. Add on top of that the Houston Texan and Dallas Cowboys on the NFL level. Do i need to bring up Hockey? A fan is a fan, it's doesn't matter how many teams you have on the college or professional level.

Nebraska has how many people living in it and Michigan has how many? I have heard that excuse about being the only sport in town to watch, but that's just all it is. An excuse. Take Texas for example. They have the Longwhores, the Aggies, and Texas Tech as college football teams. Yet their stadiums are always full. They also have no problem filling their basketball stadium. Count on top of that the 3 NBA teams (Dallas, Houtons, San Antonio) which don't have problems selling seats. Add on top of that the Houston Texan and Dallas Cowboys on the NFL level. Do i need to bring up Hockey? A fan is a fan, it's doesn't matter how many teams you have on the college or professional level.

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

Spot on, but you forgot to mention how every June Texas fans paint Omaha burnt orange for the CWS. "The only show in town" excuse is dumb.

Michigan sport's teams have no problem selling out, see Michigan football, they sell out 112,000 people EVERY game and lead the nation in attendance every year. I call that great fan support. Other than Notre Dame, Michigan is the largest TV draw. Just try getting a ticket to the Red Wings or Pistons, and even the Lions sell out. The topic was about traveling to a crappy bowl game. People in Michigan have many other places to spend their sports entertainment dollars, unlike Nebraska.

Michigan sport's teams have no problem selling out, see Michigan football, they sell out 112,000 people EVERY game and lead the nation in attendance every year. I call that great fan support. Other than Notre Dame, Michigan is the largest TV draw. Just try getting a ticket to the Red Wings or Pistons, and even the Lions sell out. The topic was about traveling to a crappy bowl game. People in Michigan have many other places to spend their sports entertainment dollars, unlike Nebraska.

And like i said, that is why NU fans have a better tradition of supporting the program then Michigan fans do

Oh and by the way, ND, Texas bring in more TV revenue/Draw then Michigan does. There's a reason why ND has it's own TV contract and why Texas already has 4 confirmed games scheduled for broadcast for next season in football (against OU, against Iowa St, against Nebraska, against Texas A&M). How many confirmed games is Michigan in for?

omahablue....i will ask you the same question that i asked creightonjay.

Are you going to drive to the game since you live in a state that has nothing to offer other then NU football? If you are such a fan then shell out the money, take a couple days off of work and drive the 14.5 hours and support "your" team.

a fan is a fan and will take every opportunity they can to support their team.

Not to mention that alot of the husker fans attending the game will be people living in Texas. Where are all of your alumni associations??? Im sure you have plenty of alum in Texas, just as we do. Why is it that we have an association for almost every state and even cities, all of which organize a travel game when Nebraska plays at another stadium. As far as that lame excuse about professional sports, Texas and Ohio both field more professional sports teams than Michigan, yet their fans travel ALL the time. Do you honestly think that if we played you in a BCS bowl this year instead, that you would show better than us. LOL!!!!!

lets take it one step further......NU/UM in the Rose bowl NU12-0 MU 11-0, national championship game.

Rose Bowl 75% Red 25% Blue

Excuse----Nu travels better only because the game was on a Wednesday not on the weekend, where I could get a 3 day weekend. But I went to the Pistons game instead and I had to sell my Redwing tickets, and MSU was playing basketball, and the Michagan School of the Blind had their annual fundraiser on that day.

Blah, Blah, Blah

excuses are like buttholes they both stink

But if Michigan were going to a BCS, they would travel. It just takes more than a dissapointing bowl game to get them to do it.

Sounds very close to what would call "fair -weather"

Good = BCS = we follow

Fair = 7-4 = Alamo = probably won't follow...

I thought Notre Dame had the largest alumni fan base?

* not arguing with you, I honestly don't know.... I thought I read that ND is the largest.

omahablue....i will ask you the same question that i asked creightonjay.

Are you going to drive to the game since you live in a state that has nothing to offer other then NU football? If you are such a fan then shell out the money, take a couple days off of work and drive the 14.5 hours and support "your" team.

a fan is a fan and will take every opportunity they can to support their team.

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

Sounds like an excuse for Michigan fans to use for not being loyal and following their team. That's why personally I would have liked to see Iowa in the bowl with us because:

1. I'm from Iowa and would love to see Nebraska stomp the hell out of them.

2. It would make for a more competitive atmosphere all though it will be nice to have all those Husker faithful in the stands.

3. Did I say I would love to see the Huskers monkey stomp Iowa??? :box:woo

NU stomp the HAWKS? dedhoarse You are delirious!! dedhoarse

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Many fans plan to stay home for bowl game

By Ian Herbert, Managing Sports Editor

December 13, 2005

If it seems like none of your friends are going to the bowl game this year, it’s because they probably aren’t.

Bowl game ticket sales are down this year for Michigan, which will play Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 28. Marty Bodnar, the associate athletic director for ticketing services, said the Athletic Department has sold 147 student tickets and approximately 5,000 total tickets for the game in San Antonio.

Last year, when Michigan played in the Rose Bowl, the Athletic Department sold nearly 35,000 tickets, including 2,000 that were bought by students.

But the Rose Bowl is a bigger game than the Alamo Bowl.

The last time Michigan played in the Alamo Bowl, after the 1995 season, the University sold just more than 6,000 tickets. Bodnar said he thought the total number of tickets this year could increase by 100 or so over the next week, but he said he expected it to stay well below the number from 1995. Tickets range in price from $50 to $80, which includes a $5 surcharge that goes to the Athletic Department.

“We’d love to be able to sell more, but that’s not the case,” he said. “But is it disappointing? No.”

Bodnar has heard complaints that flights to San Antonio were too expensive and that direct flights from Detroit were difficult to find. On its website yesterday, Northwest Airlines was advertising a one-stop round-trip flight from Detroit to San Antonio for $550 before taxes.

LSA senior Laxmi Shah said that she was simply not interested in the game.

“It’s not as big of a game,” said Shah, who has season tickets and went to every game this year except one.

LSA sophomore Mohammed Khalil said that tickets for the game were not publicized well, and Engineering freshman Mike Smietana said that he just didn’t feel like traveling over break.

LSA senior Jess Evans, one of the few students who plans on attending the game at the end of the month, is traveling to San Antonio with her parents. She said that she would have bought tickets to sit with her friends, but none of them were going to the game.

“A lot of us are poor because we’re seniors,” Evans said. “It’s not as hyped as the Rose Bowl.”

Because it’s part of the BCS, the Rose Bowl generally sells more tickets than the Alamo Bowl. The stadium holds more than 100,000 fans, as opposed to the 65,000 fans that fit into the Alamodome in San Antonio.

The Rose Bowl allots the schools playing in the game 25,000 tickets to sell to students and alumni, and the Alamo Bowl gives each school an allotment of a little more than 10,000 tickets.

Nebraska sold all of its allotted tickets by last Thursday — four days after they went on sale. And according to a Nebraska press release, Alamo Bowl officials have already agreed to give the university more seats.

“The response from Husker fans has been unbelievable,” Nebraska assistant athletic director for ticketing John Anderson said in a statement. “The immediate response was outstanding, and sales have been very steady throughout the week.”

Michigan still has plenty of tickets available, and Bodnar said they will be available all week. The University uses its preferred seating plan to determine which fans get the best seats, and the program takes into account donations to the Athletic Department when determining seats. All the students are grouped together in one student section, but students who did not buy tickets by the original Friday deadline are not guaranteed to sit with other students.