out_there.jpg

Anyone else see this new show yet?

It's the creation of someone that grew up in my hometown about a decade after I did, so it's kind of fun seeing some old landmarks (I think the writer's family bought my old girlfriend's childhood home) and some familiar people (I think I may have coached the "bully" in pee-wee Football).

The main character seems to mirror my life growing up as a social misfit? although I still think I was just shy.

My Son wasn't all that impressed at first, but I think it started to grow on him after I laughed a few times..Anyway..Just wondering what a more unbiassed HuskerBoard crowd thought of it.

<snip>

“Out There” is the tale of social outcasts Chad (voiced by Quincy) and Chris (Justin Roiland) as they navigate high school in their small town. Both Chad and Chris are weird daydreamers who — like many outsiders — can’t wait to escape their small town trappings. Before that can happen they must deal with bullies, awkward encounters with girls and pain-in-the-ass parents. LINK

It's on IFC. Not sure what small town it's about.

http://splitsider.co...or-ryan-quincy/

Pretty good interview with Ryan Quincy

He must of hated growing up in Holdredge. He describes it as a Midwestern wasteland.

Ever been? I believe he's lowballin it a little!

It's not that bad, basically the same as everyother town with a population of 5,000 something in Nebraska. Atleast that's what it looks like driving through. Now Atlanta the town just down the road... yeah that would be a more accurate describtion.

He must of hated growing up in Holdredge. He describes it as a Midwestern wasteland.

It's not that bad, basically the same as everyother town with a population of 5,000 something in Nebraska. Atleast that's what it looks like driving through. Now Atlanta the town just down the road... yeah that would be a more accurate describtion.

I grew up further west of Holdredge so I would occasionally drive through it while going back and forth to Lincoln. I thought it looked like a nice town. Father of a guy I went to UNL with worked at BD. I remember asking him about the bethpage place. He said there were more retards in that place then my home town. That was before PC so nobody thought it was wrong to call retards, retards.

I grew up further west of Holdredge so I would occasionally drive through it while going back and forth to Lincoln. I thought it looked like a nice town. Father of a guy I went to UNL with worked at BD. I remember asking him about the bethpage place. He said there were more retards in that place then my home town. That was before PC so nobody thought it was wrong to call retards, retards.

How far west were you?

How far west were you?

Not too far west. I grew up in the large city of Lebanon, pop. 70. It still shows up on google maps :D. I can't imagine what Quincy would call that area. It's kind of like a Mad Max wasteland (without the freaky people) since you can drive as fast as you want.

How far west were you?

Not too far west. I grew up in the large city of Lebanon, pop. 70. It still shows up on google maps :D. I can't imagine what Quincy would call that area. It's kind of like a Mad Max wasteland (without the freaky people) since you can drive as fast as you want.

Right on man, I drive out to Cambridge a lot but I've never been that far south.

Actually, I was proud of growing up in Holdrege..Similar to being proud of being from Nebraska.

At the time, I knew I'd never be able to live there after highschool mainly because I wanted to be an Engineer..

or a Astronaught...or a double naught secret spy like Jethro Bodiene.

We had teachers that usually seemed to really care for us..I had several teachers that taught my older siblings up to 14 years before and most stayed around past retirement...My Sr year, out of ~110 graduates, about 80 of us went on to college right away..We almost always swept the Science Fairs..Had somewhat nice facilities and respectable sports teams..The one radio station played a little too much Swedish Folk music every Sunday after brodcastin' a rotating series of church sermons...I swear, every time I see the town meeting scene in "Blazing Saddles" with all the Johnson's remonding me of the 15 pages of Johnsons (and 17 pages of Anderson) in our 89 page phonebook.

I was pretty much invisible except for band and football..mainly because I was shy. But I can't imagine a place I'd rather be from.

Maybe Hawaii

I actually looked up the address of Ryan's parents..It IS my old girlfriend's parent's house..we dated around 6 years.

It seems to be a little different than most cartoons...Instead of everything being resolved in a 20 minute episode it seems to build a little from episode to episode..(even after only seeing 3 episodes..or maybe that's what Ryan said in an interview I vaguely remember seeing last week).

It's on IFC Fridays accd to my DVR..then replays the next day or two (if I remember right).

Or you can look at the yearbook and see next Fridays episode here: http://www.ifc.com/shows/out-there.

It was a little surreal looking at Ryan's classmates on http://Dusteralumni.org/ and try to match some of the faces to the characters.