The Devaney Center Renovation Project

That page is somewhat ridiculous. There are some radicals on there. Any idea why there is such an attachment to that building? Seems a little absurd.

I agree. Some of the "Save the IAB!!" people are nutters, big-time.

I don't know what their attachment to that building is/was. They certainly didn't seem to care about it for about the last ten years of the State Fair being in Lincoln, since the building was so decrepit and downright dangerous that it wasn't even being used by the Fair, and none of them were pressuring the State Fair Board to renovate it.

It's a groovy building. It was always my favorite building as a kid going to the State Fair because it had that giant train set up on the balcony, but even with my fond childhood memories I think that building should have been torn down and replaced, not renovated.

Part of me thinks these people just wanted to stick it to Perlman/the University. Living in Lincoln you're probably aware there are lots of people around here who hate UNL. Another possibility is these are old farts trying to cling to their memories of childhood, no matter the cost. Another possibility is these are people still enraged that the State Fair was moved to Grand Island, and this is a way to express that angst.

When these people went full-on into their "Save the IAB" nonsense they created a web page with all the "history" that happened in this building. It was pretty laughable, and most of the "history" was a pretty far stretch. They tried roping Charles Lindbergh into that building's history, for example.

Regardless, we're stuck with this thing for another 100 years, probably. It's a neat enough building, so whatever.

Here are some shots of the Innovation Campus work. First, the controversial Industrial Arts Building, which was originally slated for demolition but which is now being refurbished after preservation groups worked with the University.

Are you sure that isn't considered "demolition"? There's hardly anything left.

I was just going to come here to mention this. When I was driving by yesterday, there is seriously nothing left of that building but the exterior brick walls. It seems like it would cost more to use rather than just tearing them down.

At its best the IAB was nothing more than a shell, anyway. It was a trapezoid-shaped building with a main floor containing a large, open area surrounded by a few offshoot rooms, with a second-floor balcony above overlooking the open main floor below. The balcony was quite wide, but overall it was a weird-shaped place. So for renovation there wasn't ever much they were going to be able to save of the original structure aside from the outer wall.

Mostly the renovation was done to appease the "Save the IAB!!!" crowd. It wasn't necessary, and a purpose-built structure would have served the needs of the university better, but they got it declared a Historic Landmark (or whatever) and saved it from the wrecking ball.

Here's a decent shot of the old fairgrounds, showing how oddly-shaped this building is.

oRs5j8I.jpg

And here's a link to the "Friends of the IAB" Facebook page with tons of pics of the demolition/renovation.

LINK

Man, the old State Fair grounds look NOTHING like I remember...

I'm wondering if the 2000 person waiting list is from the old venue and will be filled by moving to Devaney or if there is a 2000 person waiting list at Devaney? If so why not expand now?

The waiting list is for Devaney. I think it's good to have a waiting list though I'm not sure the number should be as his as 2,000. They do have a plan to have an option to expand the seating for special events. It may not be long before the "special event" seating becomes permanent. In any event, this will easily be the best volleyball venue in the country.

Here are some shots of the Innovation Campus work. First, the controversial Industrial Arts Building, which was originally slated for demolition but which is now being refurbished after preservation groups worked with the University.

Are you sure that isn't considered "demolition"? There's hardly anything left.

I was just going to come here to mention this. When I was driving by yesterday, there is seriously nothing left of that building but the exterior brick walls. It seems like it would cost more to use rather than just tearing them down.

At its best the IAB was nothing more than a shell, anyway. It was a trapezoid-shaped building with a main floor containing a large, open area surrounded by a few offshoot rooms, with a second-floor balcony above overlooking the open main floor below. The balcony was quite wide, but overall it was a weird-shaped place. So for renovation there wasn't ever much they were going to be able to save of the original structure aside from the outer wall.

Mostly the renovation was done to appease the "Save the IAB!!!" crowd. It wasn't necessary, and a purpose-built structure would have served the needs of the university better, but they got it declared a Historic Landmark (or whatever) and saved it from the wrecking ball.

Here's a decent shot of the old fairgrounds, showing how oddly-shaped this building is.

oRs5j8I.jpg

And here's a link to the "Friends of the IAB" Facebook page with tons of pics of the demolition/renovation.

LINK

Man, the old State Fair grounds look NOTHING like I remember...

There are lots of buildings that have been torn down before that picture was taken.

• 2 weeks later...