East-West not necessarily best for NU

if you compare the divisions...

at the top... OSU is better than Wisconsin

next level... Michigan is a toss up with... but perhaps a bit ahead of Nebraska

Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers are better than the three middle teams in the west

the bottom for each division is somewhat unknown... but again it looks like the east is better.

So... the East is superior in every conceivable way. the BiG west is like the B12 North... NU will be fine, generally, in division but outclassed when they go east.

I'd expect the Huskers to win the west 30% of the time and Wisconsin 70% of the time in the foreseeable future (something like that.. maybe 40/60 or so). Then the west champ will lose 90% of the time to the east champ...

And... as noted by others... all the attention will go to the east... bigger schools, more populous states, more media attention, and better teams...

This does not help NU at all... if this were known when NU was contemplating a move from the B12 to the B1G... I surmise NU would have been much, much, much less interested in the move to the B1G conference.

• Fire 1

While I think this is a temporary division split until we go to 16 teams, Why not keep MSU in our division and protect the MSU-Mich game instead of Ind/Pur.

Read the article and then read this comment from a poster. He makes some good points

1. UNL_Fan - 52 minutes ago This divisional alignment is absolute trash. I know that a lot of the local media is going to spin this as being a positive, because Nebraska will have an easier road to the conference championship game and the shorter travel distance for fans. That is flat out wrong. This is a very bad thing for Nebraska from almost any vantage point it is looked at from.

Welcome back to the Big 12 north. The Big 12 north was a laughing stock within the conference and even nationally. How many times did Nebraska fans have to listen to ESPN analysts on national TV talk about how the Big 12 north was such a joke. How many times did they say things like "Nebraska will represent the north in the conference championship game, but there are really 3-4 teams (ie Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Texas, even Texas Tech and Texas A&M some years) in the Big ...12 south better than the #1 team from the north."

There is going to be a huge tv network bias / big ten bias / national media bias / fan bias towards the Eastern Division. What games would Nebraska play every year that can compete with Ohio St vs Michigan / Michigan vs Michigan St / Ohio St vs Michigan St / Penn St vs Michigan St / Penn St vs Ohio St / Penn St vs Michigan? Nebraska vs Wisconsin is the only one and that still isn't even on the same level as these other games. And that's only considering the Big Ten Network programming. There is no game vs a team in Nebraska's division that will mean anything in the national picture. All of the games I listed have more national appeal than any of Nebraska's divisional matchups.

Literally no divisional game that Nebraska has will ever be a candidate for ESPN College Gameday. Maybe Wisconsin, but that will be few and far between, so there goes that recruiting opportunity. And which of Nebraska's divisional games will even be a candidate for a prime time national TV slot? None. Again, maybe Wisconsin, but not every year.

This is flat out terrible for teams in the West Division when it comes to recruiting. The East division will be home to teams within the high population states of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Indiana. The West Division will be home to teams within the states of Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, (very very few high level prospects from each of those states). The only state within the Western Division with any significant amount high level talent is Illinois, which Ohio St and Michigan already have a leg up on the rest of the schools in the conference in Illinois.

When Nebraska joined the Big Ten, all of the talk in support of the move was how Nebraska was going to be playing the "big boys" like Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan St, but now Nebraska plays none of these teams on an annual basis and has zero divisional matchups that will draw national attention.

Welcome back to the Big 12 north Nebraska. Welcome back being a second class citizen in the second class division. At least in the Big 12 north Nebraska had decades of history with the teams on their lack luster divisional schedule. Now in the Big Ten west, Nebraska has no history with these teams...they just have a lack luster divisional schedule that will be subject to mocking from all of the teams in the eastern division along with national media. And don't think this won't be a consistent point of discussion on ESPN to a national audience, because it will be.

It’s clear that all it took was Michigan and Ohio St to say what they wanted in the divisional realignment and surprise…Jim Delany popped out of his magic lantern saying “Your wish is my command!”.

And let's not forget that strength of schedule is said to be one of the factors for the selection committee when determining the new 4-team playoff...

This divisional alignment is not good for Nebraska from almost any vantage point you look at it from. I could not be more disappointed that I am now with this alignment. Disappointed with the Big Ten conference. Disappointed with Jim Delany. Disappointed that Nebraska left the Big 12 for this.

[x] CLOSE

While I think this is a temporary division split until we go to 16 teams, Why not keep MSU in our division and protect the MSU-Mich game instead of Ind/Pur.

Read the article and then read this comment from a poster. He makes some good points

1. UNL_Fan - 52 minutes ago This divisional alignment is absolute trash. I know that a lot of the local media is going to spin this as being a positive, because Nebraska will have an easier road to the conference championship game and the shorter travel distance for fans. That is flat out wrong. This is a very bad thing for Nebraska from almost any vantage point it is looked at from.

Welcome back to the Big 12 north. The Big 12 north was a laughing stock within the conference and even nationally. How many times did Nebraska fans have to listen to ESPN analysts on national TV talk about how the Big 12 north was such a joke. How many times did they say things like "Nebraska will represent the north in the conference championship game, but there are really 3-4 teams (ie Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Texas, even Texas Tech and Texas A&M some years) in the Big ...12 south better than the #1 team from the north."

There is going to be a huge tv network bias / big ten bias / national media bias / fan bias towards the Eastern Division. What games would Nebraska play every year that can compete with Ohio St vs Michigan / Michigan vs Michigan St / Ohio St vs Michigan St / Penn St vs Michigan St / Penn St vs Ohio St / Penn St vs Michigan? Nebraska vs Wisconsin is the only one and that still isn't even on the same level as these other games. And that's only considering the Big Ten Network programming. There is no game vs a team in Nebraska's division that will mean anything in the national picture. All of the games I listed have more national appeal than any of Nebraska's divisional matchups.

Literally no divisional game that Nebraska has will ever be a candidate for ESPN College Gameday. Maybe Wisconsin, but that will be few and far between, so there goes that recruiting opportunity. And which of Nebraska's divisional games will even be a candidate for a prime time national TV slot? None. Again, maybe Wisconsin, but not every year.

This is flat out terrible for teams in the West Division when it comes to recruiting. The East division will be home to teams within the high population states of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Indiana. The West Division will be home to teams within the states of Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, (very very few high level prospects from each of those states). The only state within the Western Division with any significant amount high level talent is Illinois, which Ohio St and Michigan already have a leg up on the rest of the schools in the conference in Illinois.

When Nebraska joined the Big Ten, all of the talk in support of the move was how Nebraska was going to be playing the "big boys" like Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan St, but now Nebraska plays none of these teams on an annual basis and has zero divisional matchups that will draw national attention.

Welcome back to the Big 12 north Nebraska. Welcome back being a second class citizen in the second class division. At least in the Big 12 north Nebraska had decades of history with the teams on their lack luster divisional schedule. Now in the Big Ten west, Nebraska has no history with these teams...they just have a lack luster divisional schedule that will be subject to mocking from all of the teams in the eastern division along with national media. And don't think this won't be a consistent point of discussion on ESPN to a national audience, because it will be.

It’s clear that all it took was Michigan and Ohio St to say what they wanted in the divisional realignment and surprise…Jim Delany popped out of his magic lantern saying “Your wish is my command!”.

And let's not forget that strength of schedule is said to be one of the factors for the selection committee when determining the new 4-team playoff...

This divisional alignment is not good for Nebraska from almost any vantage point you look at it from. I could not be more disappointed that I am now with this alignment. Disappointed with the Big Ten conference. Disappointed with Jim Delany. Disappointed that Nebraska left the Big 12 for this.

[x] CLOSE

outstanding post... I agree with every point... except perhaps staying in the B12 --- that was bad... but now the B1G for NU is just as bad.

I don't know... it seems to me NU has been lost in the conference re-shuffling and is just in a no win situation. It was not good where we were conference-wise in the B12 north... it is no good here in the B1G west either.

The games against Wisconsin in the last two years ahve brought out some legit hatred, so I don't see that rivalry as being "forced". The rivalry with Iowa seems alot more forced, especially the whole naming the game BS and having a trophy.

• Fire 1

Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers are better than the three middle teams in the west

the bottom for each division is somewhat unknown... but again it looks like the east is better.

So... the East is superior in every conceivable way. the BiG west is like the B12 North... NU will be fine, generally, in division but outclassed when they go east.

I'd expect the Huskers to win the west 30% of the time and Wisconsin 70% of the time in the foreseeable future (something like that.. maybe 40/60 or so). Then the west champ will lose 90% of the time to the east champ...

And... as noted by others... all the attention will go to the east... bigger schools, more populous states, more media attention, and better teams...

This does not help NU at all... if this were known when NU was contemplating a move from the B12 to the B1G... I surmise NU would have been much, much, much less interested in the move to the B1G conference.

gallery_1_209_1200631.gif

I think it will come down to who each school plays in the cross-division. Taking on OSU-Mich-MSU is gonna be a lot harder than PSU-Rutgers-MD

They (Wisconsin) have crushed, mauled, brutalized and embarrassed us 2 of the three times they played us. They have a much more physical team than NU. They are crafted as an anti-NU machine (their strengths unfortunately match well to our weaknesses and so they expose us badly). There is nothing that suggests that things will change overly in the immediate future. Yes. Wisconsin owns NU and are far more likely to win the west than NU on average.

Didn't people think the SEC was unbalanced for a long time and now people think it is unbalanced the other way? Come on!

I dont recall that. The SEC divisions may become unbalanced based on coaching changes, but the demographics that matter are generally even throughout their conference (TVs, recruits, tradition).

They (Wisconsin) have crushed, mauled, brutalized and embarrassed us 2 of the three times they played us. They have a much more physical team than NU. They are crafted as an anti-NU machine (their strengths unfortunately match well to our weaknesses and so they expose us badly). There is nothing that suggests that things will change overly in the immediate future. Yes. Wisconsin owns NU and are far more likely to win the west than NU on average.

I'm sure that most of their coaches and all-time NCAA TD leader leaving will have no effect.

• Fire 4

I think everyone's way to worried about this. It's going to so irrelavant by the time comes to fully implement this setup becuase the landscape of college athletics is changing at such a rapid pace that honestly, no one knows what's going to happen. I mean just sit back and think, Nebraska's in the Big 10, Creighton's in Big East, and UNO is a Div 1 school probably going to the valley. What's next? UNK to the WAC?

Except for maybe that tiny little snippet of the fact that they have a completely new coaching staff.

I'm sure their coach and all-time NCAA TD leader leaving will have no effect.

It could. That said, they still have the OL and DL and overall physicality that they have had. But you are right... there are variables whose effect we cannot yet know. Still... Wisconsin has a huge up on NU in having destroyed us several times... their confidence against us will be sky high (they do not, I'd suspect, see the Huskers as major competition) --- and that too can be to NU's advantage (they might take NU lightly which plays well for us).

In any event, I concede that it could be a 40/60 thing in their favor in terms of winning the west. Whatever... when the split takes place and the west is formed... Wisconsin, not Nebraska, will be the expected front runner.

It could. That said, they still have the OL and DL and overall physicality that they have had. But you are right... there are variables whose effect we cannot yet know. Still... Wisconsin has a huge up on NU in having destroyed us several times... their confidence against us will be sky high (they do not, I'd suspect, see the Huskers as major competition) --- and that too can be to NU's advantage (they might take NU lightly which plays well for us).

In any event, I concede that it could be a 40/60 thing in their favor in terms of winning the west. Whatever... when the split takes place and the west is formed... Wisconsin, not Nebraska, will be the expected front runner.

Their dominance is more scheme than simple physical overpowering. I happen to remember a certain maligned blackshirt unit stonewalling a Wisconsin rush attack for 60 minutes last September.

... and we won't play Wisconsin for another two years.

I wish this could have been implemented in 2015, considering we won't get a fair shake with the opposite division teams. We only get one year off from Wisconsin, could feasibly pick up OSU, and might only get to play the Leaders bottom dwellers for one yet.