Time to tax the poor?

There's probably some room to increase income taxes on the poor and / or cut back on refundable tax credits. The idea that some people are getting a free ride from taxation though is nonsense. Everyone who works pays payroll taxes, everyone who purchases goods pays sales taxes, and a litany of other taxes and fees beyond income taxes. As for the tax burden increasingly falling on the wealthy, it shouldn't be that hard to do the math showing that surprisingly when the wealthy are the only ones seeing an real increase income, they pay more taxes.

I would agree that many of those jobs that used to pay a livable wage do not seem to exist anymore. I think our economy and value are way out of whack due to the loss of so many manufacturing jobs. I'm not often accused of being overly brilliant but I would say we're on the wrong path, sending more and more of our money to foreign countries to buy things our people could be making, all the while we create a few more service industry (starbucks, fast food) type jobs. The day is coming that $5 coffees aren't going to cut it. Instead of fixing this root problem, we extend unemployment benefits and continue paying slave labor in Asia to provide necessities. That's not the fault of any one party. It's a collective failure of our government and our citizens that don't seem to have even a remedial grasp of how it all works.

I would agree that many of those jobs that used to pay a livable wage do not seem to exist anymore. I think our economy and value are way out of whack due to the loss of so many manufacturing jobs. I'm not often accused of being overly brilliant but I would say we're on the wrong path, sending more and more of our money to foreign countries to buy things our people could be making, all the while we create a few more service industry (starbucks, fast food) type jobs. The day is coming that $5 coffees aren't going to cut it. Instead of fixing this root problem, we extend unemployment benefits and continue paying slave labor in Asia to provide necessities. That's not the fault of any one party. It's a collective failure of our government and our citizens that don't seem to have even a remedial grasp of how it all works.

Who do you think sent the jobs to Asia? Your job creators who you don't want to increase taxes on, that's who.

Who do you think sent the jobs to Asia? Your job creators who you don't want to increase taxes on, that's who.

So if we increase taxes on them they will bring the jobs back over here?

lmao tax the poor? That's like getting blood from a stone. And just how much exactly do you expect to get from the poor? What benefits are there to shrinking the money supply? How bout that ridiculous wealth inequality we got going on?

This article is ridiculous propaganda for the 1%. Whoever wrote it has no idea, economically speaking, what they're talking about. Keep in mind we have a fiat currency and we're essentially pulling money from thin air, and he national "debt" is not a debt in the way this article portrays it. The instant someone talks about balancing the federal budget is the instant you can safely ignore anything they say.

http://pragcap.com/understanding-the-modern-monetary-system-part-1-2

http://pragcap.com/understanding-the-modern-monetary-system-part-2a

http://pragcap.com/understanding-the-modern-monetary-system-part-2b

http://pragcap.com/understanding-the-modern-monetary-system-part-3-2

http://pragcap.com/understanding-the-modern-monetary-system-part-4-2

• Fire 1

Good point HSKR. And no, I don't think a majority of our manufacturing jobs were off shored by our own job creators or primarily by the republican party. If I had to assign blame along party lines, I would be looking at the job killing policies of the dem party. Out of control unions, overbearing regulations, OSHA safety bs that far exceeds our global competition, a total lack of protectionist policies, and selfish consumers who can't comprehend the effect they have when they choose to not buy American.

So, let me ask this, if i am an American company and i am taxed heavily if i send manufacturing to China, but a Chinese company can import products without any added tariff, how am i supposed to compete?

So, let me ask this, if i am an American company and i am taxed heavily if i send manufacturing to China, but a Chinese company can import products without any added tariff, how am i supposed to compete?

I know, I know *eager student-hand raised high*

But I'm waiting for Junior to take a crack at it. Is it cricket season already?

Make a better product than the product coming from China? :dunno

Make a better product than the product coming from China? :dunno

In general he product coming from China is cheaper to produce because of the borderline slave labor. It's not a quality issue.

"Some" will pay more for a better product but most will not - evidence Wal-Mart and the decline of smaller retailers and mom & pop stores. There has to be a healthy mixture of buy American sentiment, protectionist polices and tariffs, and regulatory support (not job killing strangulation). We can't expect the average consumer to electively pay more for most goods. It's time to level the playing field with cheap Asian labor. We need to reshore some of these low tech, low education jobs. If we do it with livable wages and acceptable safety and work conditions, tariffs can do the rest of the job.

"Some" will pay more for a better product but most will not - evidence Wal-Mart and the decline of smaller retailers and mom & pop stores. There has to be a healthy mixture of buy American sentiment, protectionist polices and tariffs, and regulatory support (not job killing strangulation). We can't expect the average consumer to electively pay more for most goods. It's time to level the playing field with cheap Asian labor. We need to reshore some of these low tech, low education jobs. If we do it with livable wages and acceptable safety and work conditions, tariffs can do the rest of the job.

Free market choice + government manipulation?

In general he product coming from China is cheaper to produce because of the borderline slave labor. It's not a quality issue.

Labor costs are a big obstacle but some people will still pay more money for a better product.

Some is exactly right. A very VERY few some. I work in wholesale. Trust me.