worried about home games this fall

I have full faith the city of Ann Arbor and University of Michigan will do everything possible to ensure the safety of everyone, but someway somehow you worry a terrorist will get there bomb into such a small area where 100,000+ people are packed in like sardine cans sitting in such a small space. this is a screwed up world we live in. After 9/11 airplanes are not allowed to fly around the stadium pull advertisment banners during the game and no bags whatsoever within the stadium. For some reason I feel this is not enough.

Black Sunday, a 1975 novel

Michael Lander is a pilot who flies the Aldrich Blimp over NFL football games to film them for network television. He is also, secretly, deranged by years of torture as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, a bitter court martial on his return and a failed marriage. He longs to commit suicide and to take with him as many as possible of the cheerful, carefree American civilians he sees from his blimp each weekend.

Lander conspires with Dahlia Iyad, an operative from the Palestinian terrorist group Black September, to launch a suicide attack using a bomb composed of plastique and a quarter million steel darts, housed on the underside of the gondola of the Aldrich Blimp, which they will detonate over Tulane Stadium during a Super Bowl between the Miami Dolphins and the Washington Redskins. Dahlia and Black September, in turn, intend the attack as a wake-up call for the American people, to turn their attention and the world's to the plight of the Palestinians.

American and Israeli intelligence, led by Mossad agent David Kabakov and FBI agent Sam Corley, race to prevent the catastrophe. They piece together the path of the explosives into the country, and Dahlia's own movements.

In a spectacular conclusion, the bomb-carrying blimp is chased by helicopters as it approaches the packed stadium.

(Wikipedia)

Husker link: The first target was Nebraska vs ???? in the Sugar Bowl (out door arena) but something happened and they went for the secondary target: the super bowl. (This part from memory)

This kind of thing crosses my mind too. Memorial Stadium. 90,000 people. Sure, it's Nebraska. It's the good life and great people. But all it takes is one clever nutjob.

Regardless, I refuse to live my life in fear. This point was discussed in the Marathon bombing thread. I will NOT live my life in fear, and if that has consequences, so be it. But if terrorists get me to live my life in fear, they've already won. They've already taken my life.

No. I'd rather stand to 'em and say "f#*k you. I'm here bitch. Pull your triggers. Push your buttons. And I'll see you at the gates of hell."

i think it is unlikely a sporting event would get attacked, but then again, on a long enough timeline everything will happen. however, if you were at a stadium that was attacked, that would be horrible luck. the odds are definitely in your favor.

i agree with mr. accountability in principle, but also because life is a game of chance and the odds are in your favor to avoid something catastrophic like that happening to you.

I have full faith the city of Ann Arbor and University of Michigan will do everything possible to ensure the safety of everyone, but someway somehow you worry a terrorist will get there bomb into such a small area where 100,000+ people are packed in like sardine cans sitting in such a small space. this is a screwed up world we live in. After 9/11 airplanes are not allowed to fly around the stadium pull advertisment banners during the game and no bags whatsoever within the stadium. For some reason I feel this is not enough.

If they were able to sneak a bomb into a large sporting event it would likely be a similar result to the marathon bombing or even less catastrophic. Any more if you have a bag at an event it's getting searched and if you have a large coat you're probably going to be asked to take it off, be patted down, or both. So the odds of actually getting past security are pretty small, but if they did it would be more than likely be a much smaller device. And sparing the gory details let's just say that a smaller bomb in an open area wouldn't be as powerful as one in a corridor like the streets of a city.

i think it is unlikely a sporting event would get attacked, but then again, on a long enough timeline everything will happen. however, if you were at a stadium that was attacked, that would be horrible luck. the odds are definitely in your favor.

i agree with mr. accountability in principle, but also because life is a game of chance and the odds are in your favor to avoid something catastrophic like that happening to you.

Boston Marathon?

Boston Marathon?

Take it into context though. He said it's "unlikely". He didnt say it was "impossible". Two sports events as targets of terrorism come to mind. The 1996 Olympics bomb and the Boston Marathon-separated by nearly 16 1/2 years. How many sporting events have taken place in that time period without a hitch? (Unless i'm forgetting an event or 3).

To say it's unlikely and that the odds are in our favor is not remotely incorrect in any way, shape, or form. It's dead-on balls accurate.

• Fire 1

A football stadium has controlled access. Easy to check bags coming in, put people through a metal detector, capture everyone on camera, etc. A marathon is usually on public roads. Access to the start is minimally controlled, and the finish on a street is not, though they could move the finish to a stadium and control it just like a football game. If there is are changes made to marathons, this seems like a likely one to me, along with more controls at the start. We were a lot more tightly packed there (3 waves of ~9000 runners) then any other time during the race. There were also probably 20,000 people before the race in the athletes village (Hopkinton middle/high school grounds).

I just can't see being overly concerned with going to a football game. You would have to avoid all forms of public transportation, malls, movie theaters, and so on, and even then you can't guarantee safety.

Boston Marathon?

Take it into context though. He said it's "unlikely". He didnt say it was "impossible". Two sports events as targets of terrorism come to mind. The 1996 Olympics bomb and the Boston Marathon-separated by nearly 16 1/2 years. How many sporting events have taken place in that time period without a hitch? (Unless i'm forgetting an event or 3).

To say it's unlikely and that the odds are in our favor is not remotely incorrect in any way, shape, or form. It's dead-on balls accurate.

well said. although, i was referencing sporting events in stadiums, since that is what we were talking about. but what you said is 100% accurate, even dead-on balls accurate.

also, interesting that you brought up the 1996 olympics. i said sporting event, referring to ones held in stadiums, because i view the boston marathon, similarly to the bombing at the 1996 olympics, as big, open-area gatherings more than a sporting event. along those lines, the sporting events i was referencing are the ones held in stadiums, which have secured entrances and exits.

There's not much you can do if someone wants to be insane, other than worry all the time or realize there's nothing you can do about it and live your life. I mean, before a game there are always huge crowds around the stadium. They wouldn't even have to get past the gate to kill people. You can't search people at every stupid place they go just in case one person might be crazy.