Boy Scout New Policy

"It doesn't occur to you, Someone that there is so much more under the overarching category of environment than just how you were raised. Whatever you're reading was conducted using bad science with the goal of making their point look true even though it's not true."

Perhaps you can post a link to study that says gayness come from genes and "and societal conditions in which they are raised"

Here is a link to a study that doesn't attribute much to how 'they are raised"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2246991/Why-people-gay-New-study-claims-trait-passed-mothers-sons-fathers-daughters.html

Do you have link to the 'How they are raised' scientific study?

OH MY GOD

Environmental factors (which include everything from what nutrients you received while in the womb to the elevation that you grew up at to the foods you ate and friends you had...literally everything EXCEPT your genetic code) accounts for 90% of the homosexuality phenotype

Someone, you have no idea how wrong you are. (Or you do and are just trolling)

OH MY GOD

Environmental factors (which include everything from what nutrients you received while in the womb to the elevation that you grew up at to the foods you ate and friends you had...literally everything EXCEPT your genetic code) accounts for 90% of the homosexuality phenotype

You and I agree on this. I am still looking for the article or study that says Gayness come from "how parents choose to raise their kids". It is faulty logic and it allows the pro-discrimination crowd to suggest that parents are to blame when their kids grow up to become gay adults.

OH MY GOD

You and I agree on this. I am still looking for the article or study that says Gayness come from "how parents choose to raise their kids". It is faulty logic and it allows the pro-discrimination crowd to suggest that parents are to blame when their kids grow up to become gay adults.

Someone, re-read the original statement that started this disagreement (made by me, not knapp), and notice how you turned it into what it isn't:

I think we can all agree that people don't choose their sexual orientation, and that it always ends up as a combination of different amounts of genetics and societal conditions in which they are raised.

Admittedly, environmental would have been a better word to use, because societal is included within the scope of environmental, but it's the exact same statement.

Again: "they are raised" is the part I object to.

How you raise your kids isn't a factor in them becoming gay. Period.

And this is key to the topic because there is no basis to the notion that Gay adult are unfit to be scout leaders are will harm the kids who are exposed to their gayness.

You're arguing semantics. My statement has nothing specifically to do with parents. You are raised by a lot more than your parents; you're raised by your environment.

But you're wrong in saying that it absolutely is not any kind of a factor.

Can I see a link to the study that identifies the things parents do in raising their kids that causes them to grow up gay?

Can I see a link to the study that identifies the things parents do in raising their kids that causes them to grow up gay?

Why do you need one? You agreed yourself that it's mostly due to environmental factors.

The definition of an environmental factor is anything that influences living organisms. Last time I checked, parents do a hell of a lot of that.

Exactly what point are you trying to make? Parenting is a component of environment and certainly a fairly large component in the environment experienced by a child throughout development and so it almost certainly has some effect on the sexual orentation, even if it is a small one. There is no good way to test things like this because we obviously can't just run experiments on generations of humans; there are ethics codes (and for good reason).

...there is no helping he who cannot comprehend.

"They are raised" in this sense isn't the part to argue, as it is just filler for the rest of the sentence. Would "as they grow up" be better?

I'm not giving you an article to cite a hypothesis you are assuming I am making.

Nearly all behavior is a result of gene environment interaction. What constitutes environment varies on the behavior being looked at.

It's THAT plain and THAT simple.

There is a vast difference in saying 'genes + how they are raised' vs. genes + environmental influences.

The later doesn't place any 'blame' on the parents if the kids turn out gay [a popular belief held by people who approve of placing limitations on people based on their sexual orientation].

You're talking about blame like it's bad if a son is gay or a daughter is a lesbian? Why?

There's nothing wrong with saying the parents have a part in their child's sexuality, albeit small. Look I think I understand where you're coming from: that those policy makers who have those discriminatory inclinations to gays would take the parents play a role and combat that with different and wrong parenting.

But ignoring the small role parents could play in sexual preference doesn't allow us to tell the whole story, and that isn't good science.