Brady Hoke says ND is chickening out of game.

MSU and Purdue need to drop ND. For the most part, the B1G early OOC schedules have been terrible. Mich, MSU, Purdue seem to play 3 MAC teams plus ND every year. What does beating ND really do for you anyway? Wisconsin's OOC sked has been worse. B1G needs to play more vs any SEC teams and some marquee games vs ACC, B12, P12 (FSU, Clemson, VT, OU, Tex, OSU, Oregon, USC)

Well the same thing MSU got from beating Michigan 4 times in a row, the stadium sells out and you get bragging rights over your historical foe. In history, Michigan fought to keep Michigan Agricultural out of the BUG, but the series with Notre Dame raised their national profile to the point the other schools wanted them in. They'd probably be another MAC school without their football program.

Purdue should be a mac school because of their football program. But they're an easy in-state bus ride so it just makes sense for the schools to play.

Leave it to a domer to berate two teams as MAC quality......oh yea the same two teams they want to keep on their schedule! Classic stuff.

:lol:

Technically that was a bilateral agreement to pause the series for 2 years - not a one sided cancelation and Michigan's win record against ND is the same as MSU's win record against UM the past 6 years...so glass houses and all that :)

Anyway, at this point I feel like this point's been debated to death since it was first announced last year...let's just enjoy the final two games and see if the passage of time will cause both fan bases to resume the series in a decade or two.

MSU > UM lately.

Michigan had already cancelled the 2017 game and said repeatedly that the series had to end. We just set a date.

Everyone beat Michigan during the Rich Rod years...oh wait....except ND. OK they won one against a 3-9 team.

Series record: Michigan 23-16-1.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick informed Brandon in September that Notre Dame would exercise a three-year out clause in the schools' contract, meaning the teams would stop playing annually after the 2014 game in South Bend, Ind. Michigan and Notre Dame had extended their contract through the 2031 meeting but on a three-year rolling basis, which gave one side a chance to back out.

Would ND be playing football if it weren't for Michigan?

1887: Michigan teaches the game to Notre Dame

The first game in the Michigan–Notre Dame football rivalry occurred in November 1887. Michigan had been playing football since 1879. Two players on Michigan's 1887 team, George Winthrop DeHaven, Jr. and William Warren Harless, had previously attended Notre Dame. In October 1887, DeHaven wrote to Brother Paul, who ran Notre Dame's intramural athletics program, telling him about the new game of football. Michigan had planned a game in Chicago on Thanksgiving Day, and the three men, DeHaven, Harless and Brother Paul, persuaded their respective schools to play a football match on the Notre Dame campus on the day before Thanksgiving.[5]

After Michigan's visit to South Bend in November 1887, football became a popular game on the Notre Dame campus. A football association was formed with Brother Paul as the president. In the spring of 1888, Brother Paul challenged Michigan to return to South Bend. Two games were scheduled for a weekend in April 1888. Michigan won the first game by a score of 26 to 6 and the second 10-4.

Everyone beat Michigan during the Rich Rod years...oh wait....except ND. OK they won one against a 3-9 team.

Series record: Michigan 23-16-1.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick informed Brandon in September that Notre Dame would exercise a three-year out clause in the schools' contract, meaning the teams would stop playing annually after the 2014 game in South Bend, Ind. Michigan and Notre Dame had extended their contract through the 2031 meeting but on a three-year rolling basis, which gave one side a chance to back out.

They had already scheduled two hiatus in little over a decade, effectively ending it as a regular game. Michigan had been making a lot of statements, officially or through their surrogates, that the ND series was going to come to an end. My favorite being

I have to have seven home games a year. If you think about a nine-game Big Ten schedule, there will be one year I have four home games and one year I have five. In the year that I have four, I have to play every one of my non-conference games at home, so I can't be in a world where I have four Big Ten home games and I'm supposed to play Notre Dame (in South Bend). I can't live in that world. Those are the kinds of issues I have to deal with.

http://collegefootba...gan-rivalry.htm

They knew they couldn't live in a world with the 9 game conference schedule that Michigan/OSU had to approve of.

Would ND be playing football if it weren't for Michigan?

1887: Michigan teaches the game to Notre Dame

The first game in the Michigan–Notre Dame football rivalry occurred in November 1887. Michigan had been playing football since 1879. Two players on Michigan's 1887 team, George Winthrop DeHaven, Jr. and William Warren Harless, had previously attended Notre Dame. In October 1887, DeHaven wrote to Brother Paul, who ran Notre Dame's intramural athletics program, telling him about the new game of football. Michigan had planned a game in Chicago on Thanksgiving Day, and the three men, DeHaven, Harless and Brother Paul, persuaded their respective schools to play a football match on the Notre Dame campus on the day before Thanksgiving.[5]

After Michigan's visit to South Bend in November 1887, football became a popular game on the Notre Dame campus. A football association was formed with Brother Paul as the president. In the spring of 1888, Brother Paul challenged Michigan to return to South Bend. Two games were scheduled for a weekend in April 1888. Michigan won the first game by a score of 26 to 6 and the second 10-4.

And they credit for all 3 of those wins. When dealing with Blue tinted statistics, remember to ask about the record since a TD was worth 6 points (1910). In this case the series remains 15-15-1.

Good for Brady. Screw Notre Dame and their elitest bullsh#t. After they go 6-6 this year and their star player has a real life girlfriend boyfriend(?), things will be back to normal.

Fixed for accuracy?

And I wish we would have publicly called Oklahoma the cowards they are when they chickened out of playing us when the Big XII was formed. Then again, they were going through all of that Gibbs nonsense, but still...

They had already scheduled two hiatus in little over a decade, effectively ending it as a regular game. Michigan had been making a lot of statements, officially or through their surrogates, that the ND series was going to come to an end. My favorite being

I have to have seven home games a year. If you think about a nine-game Big Ten schedule, there will be one year I have four home games and one year I have five. In the year that I have four, I have to play every one of my non-conference games at home, so I can't be in a world where I have four Big Ten home games and I'm supposed to play Notre Dame (in South Bend). I can't live in that world. Those are the kinds of issues I have to deal with.

They knew they couldn't live in a world with the 9 game conference schedule that Michigan/OSU had to approve of.

And they credit for all 3 of those wins. When dealing with Blue tinted statistics, remember to ask about the record since a TD was worth 6 points (1910). In this case the series remains 15-15-1.

This is funny. The stats are from Wiki, but feel free to spin it however you like. And last I heard Swarbrick gave Brandon the 'dear john' letter just before the kick-off of last years game....not the other way around. I doubt ND quit because Michigan wants 7 homes for the money and they wanted to help. Instead of ND, Michigan went out and scheduled home and home with Arkansas and VT. They would have kept the home and home with ND, if ND was willing. Personally I like ND-Mich better than either of those series, and would have liked to see Michigan replace ND with someone like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Alabama, maybe Texas or even OU, but oh well.

ND quit the series because they sold out to the ACC for 5 games and had to dump to someone. Even though the MSU and Purdue series have more history, people are more interested in watching ND-Mich. Not sure ND-MSU really means much nor does ND-Purdue outside of Indiana.

This is funny. The stats are from Wiki, but feel free to spin it however you like. And last I heard Swarbrick gave Brandon the 'dear john' letter just before the kick-off of last years game....not the other way around. I doubt ND quit because Michigan wants 7 homes for the money and they wanted to help. Instead of ND, Michigan went out and scheduled home and home with Arkansas and VT. They would have kept the home and home with ND, if ND was willing. Personally I like ND-Mich better than either of those series, and would have liked to see Michigan replace ND with someone like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Alabama, maybe Texas or even OU, but oh well.

ND quit the series because they sold out to the ACC for 5 games and had to dump to someone. Even though the MSU and Purdue series have more history, people are more interested in watching ND-Mich. Not sure ND-MSU really means much nor does ND-Purdue outside of Indiana.

They also found room for Applachia St, again.

M is claiming some aggrieved status they haven't earned. They publicly said they can't live in a world without 7 home games. They made it clear we weren't going to be a regular opponent anymore. Their mouthpieces suggested that the entire conference should not play us, again. They had wanted their darling conference refs for their HOME games, stealing wins in 1999 and 2009.

Sparty did none of these things and kept in contact with Swarbrick. (It will be a fun in the years that come to patch together the soap opera between Delaney and Jack, but until then we can assume they acted in accordance with their history). Lately both Michigan schools have been equally good games, but we have to balance ESPN's needs with our own. It looks like we've gotten an arrangement to play 4 years out of 6. They deserve it more.

Last point, Blue is blubbing as though we forever banned them from playing a football game. No one suggested that other than Hack. We can schedule future games (if they have room in their world) but they can get in line behind our other OOC opponents like Texas, Oklahoma, BYU. There's no need for special treatment.

They also found room for Applachia St, again.

M is claiming some aggrieved status they haven't earned. They publicly said they can't live in a world without 7 home games. They made it clear we weren't going to be a regular opponent anymore. Their mouthpieces suggested that the entire conference should not play us, again. They had wanted their darling conference refs for their HOME games, stealing wins in 1999 and 2009.

Sparty did none of these things and kept in contact with Swarbrick. (It will be a fun in the years that come to patch together the soap opera between Delaney and Jack, but until then we can assume they acted in accordance with their history). Lately both Michigan schools have been equally good games, but we have to balance ESPN's needs with our own. It looks like we've gotten an arrangement to play 4 years out of 6. They deserve it more.

Last point, Blue is blubbing as though we forever banned them from playing a football game. No one suggested that other than Hack. We can schedule future games (if they have room in their world) but they can get in line behind our other OOC opponents like Texas, Oklahoma, BYU. There's no need for special treatment.

OUCH !!!!!!! :blink:

OUCH !!!!!!! :blink:

Not really. Finding room for two patsies a year to have more home games is pretty common place

among the conference affiliated teams. Everyone wants 6 mil from home games. Pay the patsies1 mil and pocket 5.

Hopefully the Big 10 keeps its word about not playing FCS anymore.

Not sure when that will start....I guess 2016.

As Hoke just said, one of the great things about Michigan is playing ND, OSU and MSU. Only two left now for a long time (2020 maybe).

I think Michigan is bummed about losing the ND series. Arkansas, Oregon St, VT, Utah, Colorado, BYU, Cincy, Uconn...

they just don't carry the same excitement. I for one am bummed about not being able to look forward to an ND match up early in the season.

Maybe in a bowl game.

It's a mixed bag - on one hand it's a marquee annual game, on the other hand it limits the scheduling options of any Big Ten team that schedules ND.

I'm actually glad to see some more variety in the OOC schedule, but it would've been great to have something like a 2 on - 2 off schedule so that the game doesn't go away entirely.

If the Big Ten ever goes towards allowing OOC games past September there's a good chance that ND will show up on a Big Ten team's schedule even if it's not Michigan - that was one of the actual practical limitations that led to the cancelation of the series (ND had 3 Big Ten teams that needed to be scheduled between weeks 1-4, which limited their schedule flexibility)