Failing U.S. Infrastructure

http://usnews.nbcnew...is-weekend?lite

This weekend, millions will cross 66,000 bridges that the federal government has deemed "structurally deficient," meaning key elements are in poor condition.

The Federal Highway Administration hastens to note that label doesn't mean they are unsafe or in danger of collapse, but transportation advocates say it highlights a growing crisis of aging infrastructure, deferred maintenance and rebuilding, and design flaws.

I'm assuming that somehow, the free market will correct for this?

This weekend, millions will cross 66,000 bridges that the federal government has deemed "structurally deficient," meaning key elements are in poor condition.

The Federal Highway Administration hastens to note that label doesn't mean they are unsafe or in danger of collapse, but transportation advocates say it highlights a growing crisis of aging infrastructure, deferred maintenance and rebuilding, and design flaws.

Couldn't agree more. The problem is the money has to come from somewhere. I say we start diverting NSF funding to road projects. I'd much rather see construction workers getting paid building bridges then researchers getting paid to post on football message boards. It would be a good first step.

Couldn't agree more. The problem is the money has to come from somewhere. I say we start diverting NSF funding to road projects. I'd much rather see construction workers getting paid building bridges then researchers getting paid to post on football message boards. It would be a good first step.

Researchers tend to work long, strange hours. For example, Sunday morning, 7am, where was I? In the lab.

I doubt you know my schedule.

Researchers tend to work long, strange hours. I doubt you know my schedule.

Definitely know part of it!! :lol:

Sure, lets just sell all the bridges and make everything a toll bridge. So much better right?

The bridge that failed up in Washington had been deemed structurally obsolete. Not unsafe just too old. Just like me waaaaahhhh.

Good one, Once you get over 50 it all begins to feel that way.

Back to the original post - actually, a growing, robust free market place would solve a lot of problems - bringing more money into the treasury so we could fix these roads and bridges. It is a matter of priorities.

Maybe we close bases in Germany and else where - let them pay for their own defense and we have money to spend on our own issues here at home. Maybe we go to zero based budgeting - getting rid of a lot of built in increases in programs we no longer need or value.

The bridge that failed up in Washington had been deemed structurally obsolete. Not unsafe just too old. Just like me waaaaahhhh.

Good one, Once you get over 50 it all begins to feel that way.

Back to the original post - actually, a growing, robust free market place would solve a lot of problems - bringing more money into the treasury so we could fix these roads and bridges. It is a matter of priorities.

Maybe we close bases in Germany and else where - let them pay for their own defense and we have money to spend on our own issues here at home. Maybe we go to zero based budgeting - getting rid of a lot of built in increases in programs we no longer need or value.

Sounds good.

Near where I work, we have a bridge that most tractor trailers can not fit under, but Costco built a hub to restock their retail stores. Well the amount of trucks that have hit the bridge has got to be close to 500 in 4 years. For a time we were getting 3-5 trucks a day stuck or having to back up the road to miss the bridge. They have limits on bridges for a reason, and even small structural damage can be catastrophic to older bridges. Maybe state and local governments should use the gas taxes for the roads rather than all the other crap they spend it on.