"You tell the SEC when they can learn to read and write, then they can figure out what we're doing,"

From the article:

"The fathers are holy on Sunday, and they're holy hell on the rest of the week," Gee said to laughter at the Dec. 5 meeting attended by Athletic Director Gene Smith and several other athletic department members, along with professors and students.

"You just can't trust those damn Catholics on a Thursday or a Friday, and so, literally, I can say that," said Gee, a Mormon.

Gee also threw a few blows in the direction of the SEC when asked to respond to SEC fans who wonder why it is still referred to as the Big Ten with 14 members. "You tell the SEC when they can learn to read and write, then they can figure out what we're doing," Gee said.

Wow..in this context, it looked like Gee was just using some religious humor, and really wasn't taking a pot-shot at Catholicism per se...especially since the same criticisms/stereotypes have been levied against Mormons for decades now.

And I don't think anyone (outside of ESPN) is really contesting what he said about the SEC, AMIRITE? :)

From the article:

"The fathers are holy on Sunday, and they're holy hell on the rest of the week," Gee said to laughter at the Dec. 5 meeting attended by Athletic Director Gene Smith and several other athletic department members, along with professors and students.

"You just can't trust those damn Catholics on a Thursday or a Friday, and so, literally, I can say that," said Gee, a Mormon.

Gee also threw a few blows in the direction of the SEC when asked to respond to SEC fans who wonder why it is still referred to as the Big Ten with 14 members. "You tell the SEC when they can learn to read and write, then they can figure out what we're doing," Gee said.

Wow..in this context, it looked like Gee was just using some religious humor, and really wasn't taking a pot-shot at Catholicism per se...especially since the same criticisms/stereotypes have been levied against Mormons for decades now.

And I don't think anyone (outside of ESPN) is really contesting what he said about the SEC, AMIRITE? :)

lol I don't think they are either. I listen to sports talk radio in the mornings wich the morning show is a espn affiliate I believe. They didn't mention anything at all of the sec bashing. Just what he said about Notre Dame. So I bet even they know he's right on that account lol

From the article:

Sure. Gee's comments have a bit of truth to them. And they're funny! But also a bit inappropriate given that he's a university president. He deserves the minor sh#tstorm he created over this. :lol:

Gordon Gee and ohio lol

http://bleacherrepor...-dame-catholics

the more I hear about this on the radio the more I wanna know what he said lol

I wonder what are the odds of Notre Dame joining the B1G now lol.

Brady Hoke called Notre Dame chicken.

yea and they are for ditching the Michigan game. While keeping Purdue and Michigan State. Thats why you didn't hear to much about it since it's true.

What I find hilarious right now is that people from the SEC make fun of us for not knowing how to count but when someone from the B1G pokes fun at them for reading and writing feelings get all hurt. See Andy Staples article over at SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130530/gordon-gee-sec-notre-dame-comments/?sct=uk_t11_a4.

The Catholic thing I can see people being a bit upset with (even though it was a joke about Notre Dame, and not pointed at the Catholic faith at large, though it did sound that way), but people being upset with the SEC thing is ridiculous.

What I find hilarious right now is that people from the SEC make fun of us for not knowing how to count but when someone from the B1G pokes fun at them for reading and writing feelings get all hurt. See Andy Staples article over at SI http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t11_a4.

The Catholic thing I can see people being a bit upset with (even though it was a joke about Notre Dame, and not pointed at the Catholic faith at large, though it did sound that way), but people being upset with the SEC thing is ridiculous.

That's what I was thinking. Didnt the whole thing start with the SEC poking fun at the 14 team conference still calling itself the Big 10? Just another bunch of double standard hoo-ha.