Husker Camp Countdown: NU’s top 50 players heading into 2013

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 45 Paul Thurston

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Paul Thurston | 6-5 | 280 pounds | Freshman | Offensive Lineman

He’s set to compete for playing time among the second-string interior linemen this fall, perhaps setting himself up to be the center of the future on Nebraska’s offensive line.

Thurston worked at center this spring, and after battling through some growing pains, all accounts were that he began to settle in. The adjustment was expected — he was dealing with things like delivering a shotgun snap perfectly every time and executing assignments at the Huskers’ rapid-fire pace.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 45 Paul Thurston

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Paul Thurston | 6-5 | 280 pounds | Freshman | Offensive Lineman

He’s set to compete for playing time among the second-string interior linemen this fall, perhaps setting himself up to be the center of the future on Nebraska’s offensive line.

Thurston worked at center this spring, and after battling through some growing pains, all accounts were that he began to settle in. The adjustment was expected — he was dealing with things like delivering a shotgun snap perfectly every time and executing assignments at the Huskers’ rapid-fire pace.

LINK

This article says he has a nasty streak. Something we've not seen in our centers in recent years. He could just be the next great Husker O-lineman. Pipeline redux!!

/ Hey, thanks for catching this Mavric! I dropped the ball today. This will be a cool thread if we stick with it for all 50.

/ Hey, thanks for catching this Mavric! I dropped the ball today. This will be a cool thread if we stick with it for all 50.

Didn't want to step on toes but thought you might have gotten busy.

I appreciate the help! Hopefully others will chime in and post as needed. I haven't had a chance to post today. Headed out to a funeral right now. An elderly friend. /sad

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 44 Mauro Bondi

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JUNE 20, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:23 PM

Mauro Bondi | 6-0 | 205 pounds | Sophomore | Kicker

After four years of Alex Henery and two years of Brett Maher, Nebraska’s next kicker has big cleats to fill.

LINK

The article mentions competition from the Illinois kicker who transferred a few months back, Pat Smith. He's from the town where I now live.

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JUNE 20, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:23 PM

After four years of Alex Henery and two years of Brett Maher, Nebraska’s next kicker has big cleats to fill.

LINK

The article mentions competition from the Illinois kicker who transferred a few months back, Pat Smith. He's from the town where I now live.

I hope our kicker is better than the 44th most notable player on the team ... for the right reasons.

LINK

I hope our kicker is better than the 44th most notable player on the team ... for the right reasons.

Maybe he won't be attempting many field goals. Could be a good thing!

LINK

Maybe he won't be attempting many field goals. Could be a good thing!

:thumbs True. But hopefully kicking off a lot.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 43 Sam Cotton

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JUNE 21, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:01 PM

Sam Cotton | 6-4 | 235 pounds | RFr. | Tight end

<snip>

Sam Cotton isn’t quite as tall as Ben. For now, he’s not as bulky, either. <snip> This year, Sam will be coached by his dad, Barney Cotton, who moves from the main offensive line coach to more of a run game coordinator role.

LINK

I think Ben was about that size as a true freshman.

Also, interesting note about Barney's shift in coaching responsibilities.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 42 Michael Rose

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JUNE 22, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Michael Rose | 5-11 | 230 pounds | RFr. | Linebacker

A natural leader with a strong, outgoing personality, Rose will be one of three players battling for time at middle linebacker, where Will Compton patrolled the field as a senior last year. In his redshirt year, this former four-star recruit learned the ropes of NU’s defense.

LINK

• Fire 1

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 41 Jordan Westerkamp

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SUNDAY, JUNE 23, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Jordan Westerkamp | 6-0 | 200 pounds | RFr. | Wide Receiver

One of the top recruits in Nebraska’s 2012 class, Westerkamp redshirted to get acclimated to college and learn the Huskers’ offense. A natural slot receiver who runs good routes and may have the team’s best hands, Westerkamp will work as NU’s No. 4 or 5 receiver, seeing reps behind junior starter Jamal Turner.

LINK

• Fire 1
Husker Camp Countdown: No. 42 Michael Rose

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JUNE 22, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Michael Rose | 5-11 | 230 pounds | RFr. | Linebacker

A natural leader with a strong, outgoing personality, Rose will be one of three players battling for time at middle linebacker, where Will Compton patrolled the field as a senior last year. In his redshirt year, this former four-star recruit learned the ropes of NU’s defense.

LINK

I really like this kid. Hopefully he gets on the field quite a bit this year but I think it's kind of crowded at LB all of the sudden.

One of the top recruits in Nebraska’s 2012 class, Westerkamp redshirted to get acclimated to college and learn the Huskers’ offense. A natural slot receiver who runs good routes and may have the team’s best hands, Westerkamp will work as NU’s No. 4 or 5 receiver, seeing reps behind junior starter Jamal Turner.

LINK

Also really excited to see him on the field. Kind of the opposite of what I thought about Bondi. I'm not sure our #4 or #5 WR will be ranked this high in a run-first offense. But hopefully I'm wrong.

LINK

Also really excited to see him on the field. Kind of the opposite of what I thought about Bondi. I'm not sure our #4 or #5 WR will be ranked this high in a run-first offense. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Best hands on the team, and enough quicks to make that first guy miss. Wouldn't surprise me to see him become a go-to guy that keeps drives alive.