Like him or not, Steve Pederson's vision...

Like I've said before, Steve Peterson is not just the Football Director, he is the Athletic Director.  Sports in general at NU are doing very well (except for men's bball...but thats another story)  I understand that around these parts football is the most important sport, but sometimes you need to look at the big picture.  SP may be a slimeball or whatever, but Nebraska sports as a whole are doing very well.

:dis

The majority of the other sports are doing well, but pud hasnt had time to get his hands on them. He has been too busy manipulating the FB program, and getting someone to change the traditions of NU football.

Baseball, V-ball, etc are all great, but those were built before he got to NU. Hardly a visionary by staying away, but those programs are better for it :thumbs

So what you are saying is as long as the AD doesn't fire a coach, he is simply "staying out of the way? :wtf

Hey, I'll bet SP doesn't even know we have a baseball or volleyball team. :sarcasm

I don't care if you don't like the guy, that is certainly your choice, but to simply say he doesn't do anything (except "ruin" things) is very troll-like.

Point is, Nebraska athletics as a whole are doing very well (by the way go v-ball team tonight :horns2 ) and to say SP had nothing to do with anything good and everything to do with things that aren't, is just plain close minded.

Like I've said before, Steve Peterson is not just the Football Director, he is the Athletic Director.  Sports in general at NU are doing very well (except for men's bball...but thats another story)  I understand that around these parts football is the most important sport, but sometimes you need to look at the big picture.  SP may be a slimeball or whatever, but Nebraska sports as a whole are doing very well.

:dis

The majority of the other sports are doing well, but pud hasnt had time to get his hands on them. He has been too busy manipulating the FB program, and getting someone to change the traditions of NU football.

Baseball, V-ball, etc are all great, but those were built before he got to NU. Hardly a visionary by staying away, but those programs are better for it :thumbs

So what you are saying is as long as the AD doesn't fire a coach, he is simply "staying out of the way? :wtf

Hey, I'll bet SP doesn't even know we have a baseball or volleyball team. :sarcasm

I don't care if you don't like the guy, that is certainly your choice, but to simply say he doesn't do anything (except "ruin" things) is very troll-like.

Point is, Nebraska athletics as a whole are doing very well (by the way go v-ball team tonight :horns2 ) and to say SP had nothing to do with anything good and everything to do with things that aren't, is just plain close minded.

What I am saying is that those programs (wrestling, V-ball, Baseball, etc) were built prior to his arrival, and were good to great prior to his arrival. Like him or not, Byrne had a hand in that :thumbs

No props to pud for that. Take a look at Pitt to see how they are doing. Last I checked, the FB was bad, and the Mens BBall team was up-and down. Many at Pitt are glad he's gone.

No props to pud for that. Take a look at Pitt to see how they are doing. Last I checked, the FB was bad, and the Mens BBall team was up-and down. Many at Pitt are glad he's gone.

I believe Pitt just fired their coach last year after they took them to a BCS game. I'm quite certain Peterson wasn't there last year, therefore had nothing to do with Harris' firing.

I also bet there are quite a few Pitt fans quite happy with their new events center that was built because of Peterson.

Also, if Peterson is as bad as you would like everyone to believe, how is it that these other sports haven't just gone down the crapper? You can show no proof that Peterson "stays out of those sports" other than they still have the same coaches.

I don't care that you don't like him. I'm also very sure that everyone here knows you don't like him so you saying that he is a slimeball and a horrible AD everytime his name is brought up is really not necessary.

I believe Pitt just fired their coach last year after they took them to a BCS game. I'm quite certain Peterson wasn't there last year, therefore had nothing to do with Harris' firing.

C'mon, Pitt never should have been in a BCS game, you know that just like everyone else does.

pud at best is suspect. <_<<_<:wtf

Pud Firing Solich = right thing to do in my opinion and i will always be grateful for him doing that. I am young and almost bald. That's how much hair i tore out of my head watching the stupid offense ran at Nebraska. The guy did not know how to gameplan or recruit. You can say what you want, but in my opinion, this guy should never have been handed over the team. Period.

Pud Firing Solich DOESN'T show he has balls. It's what ANY employer would do and is required to do for someone who was not producing for them regardless if X employee had been with Y company for 50+ years. College Football is the most profitable business for schools and you treat it like a business. There is NO nice way to fire someone. If someone can tell me a nice way to fire someone, i am all ears. Even Barnett went out blazing in his press conference with his suttle insults to the AD. There's no reason to pour more fuel on the fire and let the coach go out on his own terms. You just fire smeone and Pederson did it the right way. No If's, but about it

Someone said Pederson didn't have a clue on who he was going to hire. Not many schools have a clue. I am pretty sure Buffalo didn't have a clue on who it was going to hire when it fired it's coach. Notre Dame didn't have a clue on who would get the job (don't confuse wanting to get someone and actually getting them as the same thing, it will make you look like a fool).

I've never met Pederson personally (never really wanted to), and just by watching him and the way he talks, he sounds like an arrogant guy. Maybe it's just the way he is wired. I am sure he know people hate him for 1 reason or another and the fact he doesn't seem to care about what people think in order to push a product on the consumers has earned my respect. You are either behind him right now or you are against him, but don't be a bandwagon fan and sit on the fence waiting and then if NU wins a national title say "I told you so" and if they never win another Big12 title or National title, say "I told you so".

I am young and almost bald. That's how much hair i tore out of my head watching the stupid offense ran at Nebraska.

I know that this may be dedhoarse but that "stupid" offense won about 76% of its games, while the vaunted WCO is right about 57%. Besides, if Barneyball would have been given a shot, it would have likely been a better product. I cant say that Im gonna lose any hair over the WCO, but it has certainly put me to sleep, a few times :blink:

The guy did not know  how to gameplan 

While FS was no TO, and he had plenty of difficulties on gameday, you cannot say that billy c is a better game-planner or coach. His teams (with the exception of the CU game) have been woefully unprepared to play, and his gameplans make FSs plans look like a freaking masterpiece.

Pud Firing Solich DOESN'T show he has balls. It's what ANY employer would do and is required to do for someone who was not producing for them regardless if X employee had been with Y company for 50+ years.

While I dont disagree with that, it seems that someone is being dishonest here. If this is the case, then billy c would have been gone after last year. The team still isnt as good as it was the day that FS, Gill, Cotton, Pelini, etc were all shown the door.

the only person pederson fired was solich. the rest of the coaches were kept on staff until the new coach was hired. bill callahan, like any other head coach wanted his own people in place, not hand me downs from another coach.

do i think that some of the assistant coaches could have / would have done better than the current ones? yes.

i think that barney cotton would have been a better OC then norvell. i think that ron brown would have been a better reciever coach then gilmore. bo pelini would have been a better DC then coz but pelini would not have been happy here after pedersen didnt hire him as the HC so he would have been out of here on the first train rolling.

now we have a coach with a new system and it is getting better than it was last year. and will be better next year. give it time and it will work.

oh well i forgot who i was talking to

:yeah

If no one can see what kind of a team we will have next year, you are walking around with blinders on.

Look at all of the talent that is being pulled in on the recruiting scene. Look at the talent of the players that are out due to season ending injuries.

The future is scary...for the rest of the NCAA. What a weapon Husker football will be! :thumbs

As for the arguement of the AD; our baseball team did really well last year as did our women's volleyball team this year. Football is on the rebound and looking very promising. :cheers

I have to disagree with you on the Ron Brown thing. The guy is a good coach and i love him to death but he was not suited to coach in a WCO. He is more of an option offense type of coach. I have no problem with people expressing opinion and throwing in gods name every once in a while, but after TO left, he took it a little overboard. It became god this, and god that and the University was turning more into Baylor with him preaching then coaching. Again, there's a place for that called a church and i think that's one reason why Solich never even thought about hiring Brown at Ohio.

As far as Coz, i am still on the fence with him. Bo Pellini was to much of a crybaby for me and i was glad he left the program. The turnaround of the 2003 defense was more on Sanders then on Bo Pelini. The only guy i wish Callahan had kept was Sanders. I am not that big on Coach Elmassian and i believe our secondary would be miles ahead of where it is today.

you're right, i guess i was looking at the person and not the coach. i forgot all about the sanders/elmassian comparison. i am not sure if bullocks and washington would have stayed had sanders been kept but i am sure that was part of thier decision to leave.

we will have to wait and see how thigs turn out. next year should be alot of fun

If no one can see what kind of a team we will have next year, you are walking around with blinders on.

Look at all of the talent that is being pulled in on the recruiting scene. Look at the talent of the players that are out due to season ending injuries. 

Like I have said numerous time, on-paper talent is nice, but someone needs to develop that talent. These coaches havent shown the ability to do that. In some areas (particularly running O and Oline) the team got worse.

Since you obviously have your crystal ball out, tell me how good is this team going to be next year??

Top 10?? Top5?? Big 12 Champs?? National Champs??

The future is scary

:yeah

As for the arguement of the AD; our baseball team did really well last year as did our women's volleyball team this year.

Like I said, all programs built before pud was here. Are you gonna give him credit for the great gymnastics programs that NU had back in the 80's also :wacko: ??

with the players that are coming back next year and with the talent that is coming in it looks like a very promising position to be in.

just on the defensive side of the ball, if we can fill the gaps at saftey, next year should be a top 10 in all catagories.

FYI, since billy c has been in Lincoln, NU has averaged about 23-24 PPG, and has averaged giving up right about the same.

now we have a coach with a new system and it is getting better than it was last year. and will be better next year. give it time and it will work.

NU is in the middle of the pack of a bunch of mediocre teams (B12 N). NU STILL isnt to the level that they were prior to him being hired.

Curiously, how much time do we need to give them to get things right?? We finally got one good game after 2 years, Im personally sick of the excuses.

Had you ever heard of Pitt basketball 10 years ago.... No.

I know that Pitt had some good teams for a few years, but how are they doing now?? I honestly dont know :blink: Im curious as if to whether they sustained their success and built a strong program, or if their BB team was a flash in the pan like their FB team.