Like him or not, Steve Pederson's vision...

I am young and almost bald. That's how much hair i tore out of my head watching the stupid offense ran at Nebraska.

I know that this may be dedhoarse but that "stupid" offense won about 76% of its games, while the vaunted WCO is right about 57%. Besides, if Barneyball would have been given a shot, it would have likely been a better product. I cant say that Im gonna lose any hair over the WCO, but it has certainly put me to sleep, a few times :blink:

The guy did not know  how to gameplan 

While FS was no TO, and he had plenty of difficulties on gameday, you cannot say that billy c is a better game-planner or coach. His teams (with the exception of the CU game) have been woefully unprepared to play, and his gameplans make FSs plans look like a freaking masterpiece.

Pud Firing Solich DOESN'T show he has balls. It's what ANY employer would do and is required to do for someone who was not producing for them regardless if X employee had been with Y company for 50+ years.

While I dont disagree with that, it seems that someone is being dishonest here. If this is the case, then billy c would have been gone after last year. The team still isnt as good as it was the day that FS, Gill, Cotton, Pelini, etc were all shown the door.

How did you feel about Solich hiring Bohl as DC?

Like I have said numerous time, on-paper talent is nice, but someone needs to develop that talent. These coaches havent shown the ability to do that. In some areas (particularly running O and Oline) the team got worse.

It seems to me the staff hasn't really had time to develop the O-line, considering the only upper classmen still playing much are Mann and Koch, and maybe Austin. All the rest have had only a year or two in the program. As I'm sure you're probably aware, the offensive line is not a place where you'll see freshmen and sophomores come in and make an impact, and yet 3 freshman and sophomores are going to play significant time in the bowl game.

Same story in terms of the running game. The primary aspects of it that aren't dependant on the o-line would probably be receiving, picking up blitzes, finding holes and then open field running stuff. IMO Ross has become an excellent receiving threat and once again all the freshmen and sophomores behind him have come along nicely.

Of course it makes sense that these two areas are what a naysayer would choose to highlight b/c these are the only places one could say we didn't show marked improvement over the season or the last two years in general. Couple that with what NU football used to be and the traditionalists will surely talk about how BC and Co. can't develop talent, conveniently overlooking the rest of the team.

IMO the young guys on defense have done remarkably well. Considering we played a large amount of the season with two sophomore linebackers, one sophomore corner, another who hadn't played defense since HS, and a third who hadn't been in our system before, I'd say they've done a fine job. Especially when you factor in the contributions of Turner, Dillard and the JUCOs and the excellent production out of our front four this year.

Follow that up with the development of the WRs, again with freshman and sophomores. I can't think of the last time I saw a senior make a catch.

Anyone who doesn't think ZT has come a long way is probably watching a different team.

From where I've been sitting, it seems that in 2 years time BC and Co. haven't done a perfect job, but an admirable job of working with what they had while trying to build the program the way they want it to be. Sure they've made some mistakes, but considering the number of young kids playing this season leads one to believe that there wasn't that much talent to begin with and the young kids are quickly reaching a level at which they can contribute. Don't forget that BC and his staff have had less than 2 years here. Saying they can't develop talent after 2 years' time is like saying you need a new microwave b/c your minute oatmeal wasn't done in 30 seconds.

i disagree with a lot of statements saying that our coaches cant develop talent, i mean look at nate swift, corey mckeon, grix, our freshman on the o-line etc. i'd say they have developed some players that nobody said had talent.

if frank the tank's previous staff had actually gone out and recruited instead of sitting in their office expecting nebraska's name to draw recruits we wouldnt be having the depth problems we have today, which in turn makes our current staff look bad to some of you. then frank the tank got rid of those assistants and brought in new ones who werent given a fair chance to show what they could do recruiting wise and coaching wise. but there were things going on behind the scenes that got frank the tank fired. i have heard rumors that there were affairs, alcohol, and other inappropriate actions going on.

true or not, they are gone now and this argument is getting older than father time himself. some of you may not like coach callahan and this staff. cant please everybody. when you say they are changing the traditions of nebraska football, well, i thought our tradition was winning. now you are going to say "well we havent won that much since callahan and co. took over." i say if frank the tank was still at the helm he would have lost a lot of games last year and lost games this year as well. see the first sentence of the previous paragraph. Callahan and Co. can recruit and can develop talent. its only a matter of time (next year) that we will see the fruits of their labor.

How did you feel about Solich hiring Bohl as DC?

Well, when it first happened, I thought it was a pretty good deal, a NE guy who had previous DC experience at a Div 1 school, and over the first year and 11 games, it seemed to work out well. People forget that the 01 D was one of the top units in the country, I believe they still finished in the top 10 even after the debacle in Boulder and the Rose Bowl.

But as 02 showed, it appears that Bohl wasnt the right guy for the job. I was never really all that keen on his "bubble" defense, and was hoping that he would use the same system McBride did.

Saying they can't develop talent after 2 years' time is like saying you need a new microwave b/c your minute oatmeal wasn't done in 30 seconds.

Curiously, how much time is enough??

yes former the running game was worse than last year. but guess what, NU lost 6 players (4 starters) from the 2 deep last year. the only recruited OL player that returned this year is Kurt Mann. If you remember Brandon Koch was orignally on defense along with Seppo even Patrick started out on defense. Austin was not in the 2 deep last year because of his knees. We all know what happened with Herian. Slausen is a freshman and Murtha is a RS freshman.

so of course the running game is going to suffer just a little when your OL goes through that much turmoil in one year.

but you are right the lack of depth and talent is Coach Callahan's fault :sarcasm

it couldnt be that the lack of depth was due to the poor recruiting and player development from Solich? if the cupboards were so full when Solich was fired then why the hell did Callahan have to move people from the defensive side of the ball to play on offense.

for someone that has almost 2000 posts on this board i would figure that you would have 1 maybe 2 intellegent arguments. But I have come to realize that most of your posts sound like the comment you hear from a drunken baffoon at the bar.

sorry guys i should have belived you...you have all been on the board longer than i have and after reading your warnings i should have realized that you were speaking from experience.

oh well maybe i am just typing to see words appear on my screen

if frank the tank's previous staff had actually gone out and recruited instead of sitting in their office expecting nebraska's name to draw recruits we wouldnt be having the depth problems we have today.... then frank the tank got rid of those assistants and brought in new ones who werent given a fair chance to show what they could do recruiting wise and coaching wise.

:yeah Agreed :thumbs

when you say they are changing the traditions of nebraska football, well, i thought our tradition was winning.

It was, before billy c was here. Youre right, that IS a tradition he changed, for the worse <_<

i say if frank the tank was still at the helm he would have lost a lot of games last year and lost games this year as well. 

:dis I think that the former staff would have easily won 9-10 games last year, would have won the North this year, probably would have been 11-1 right now (got beaten badly by UT).

Obviously, its all speculation, both by you and me, but I dont see that staff getting outcoached, outclassed, and outmanned by some of the teams that NU has been the last 2 years. No way, no how.

Besides the capital construction and financial situation, what teams have done the best under Peterson? A guess of successful sports by order of anticipated/actual current season success:

1) W Bowling

2) W Volleyball

3) Rifle Team

4) M Baseball

5) W Gymnastics

6) M Wrestling

7) W Track & Field

8) M Track & Field

Do the first 5 have a shot or have already clinched the Big 12 for this school year?

Do any of you think I'm missing the order or another sport. It looks like the NU athletic teams are trying to challenge Texas for overall top sporting program in the Big 12. Hats off to Peterson!

for someone that has almost 2000 posts on this board i would figure that you would have 1 maybe 2 intellegent arguments. But I have come to realize that most of your posts sound like the comment you hear from a drunken baffoon at the bar.

Pot and kettle??? And it only took one post of yours to realize the same. Im sorry that you cant understand that, and that my posts are too complex for your comprehension. In simple terms, NU is not better than they before this staff was hired. What part of taking a 10-3 team to 5-6 do you not get?? I was one of the few people who thought that NU would have a realistic shot at a losing season last year. People called me stupid (not on this board), but look what happened. I simply looked at the coaches brought in and the schemes that they ran, and it was easy to see disaster.

yes former the running game was worse than last year.  but guess what, NU lost 6 players (4 starters) from the 2 deep last year.  the only recruited OL player that returned this year is Kurt Mann.  If you remember Brandon Koch was orignally on defense along with Seppo even Patrick started out on defense.  Austin was not in the 2 deep last year because of his knees.  We all know what happened with Herian.  Slausen is a freshman and Murtha is a RS freshman.

Both Seppo and Mann were returning OL starters :thumbs

but you are right the lack of depth and talent is Coach Callahan's fault :sarcasm

He has a penchant for going after JUCOs maybe he should have gotten some top JC OLs if NU was lacking there :wacko:

it couldnt be that the lack of depth was due to the poor recruiting and player development from Solich?

Ive never said that they had the talent of USC or UT, but they had plenty of talent to win 10 games the year before :blink:

if the cupboards were so full when Solich was fired then why the hell did Callahan have to move people from the defensive side of the ball to play on offense.

Perfect. Because billy c is not that good of a coach. He also moved one of the better QB candidates to S, the fastest RB to CB, and hasnt figured out where to play many of his other "vaunted" recruits. :dumdum

Like I said, billy c has done some "great" things. No other coach in NFL history ever took a SB team to the worst record from one year to the next. That is something special. :thumbs

so in '03 when we lost to kansas state frank didnt get outcoached outmanned etc?  by UT?  by Mizzou?

I guess its better than getting beat 40-15 by KU, or getting beat by S Miss.

It happened 3 times in 03, 6 times last year by some not so good teams.

Besides, it was just the NEW assistants first year. They hadnt even been there ONE year, they needed time.........

so in '03 when we lost to kansas state frank didnt get outcoached outmanned etc?  by UT?  by Mizzou?

I guess its better than getting beat 40-15 by KU, or getting beat by S Miss.

It happened 3 times in 03, 6 times last year by some not so good teams.

Besides, it was just the NEW assistants first year. They hadnt even been there ONE year, they needed time.........

ok so what was it for 04 again? their first year... then how do you explain '02?

This topic has sure brought a lot of comments considering all Pederson has done so far is fire the football coach. If you travel 50 miles either side of this state you would see the Football team hasn't returned to any national prominence. Time will tell if this guy has any vision or not. The fact that he can't get people to contribute to a building that Osborne wasn't even sure he wanted his name on shows that many people are not ready to blindly follow this guy.

This topic has sure brought a lot of comments considering all Pederson has done so far is fire the football coach. If you travel 50 miles either side of this state you would see the Football team hasn't returned to any national prominence. Time will tell if this guy has any vision or not. The fact that he can't get people to contribute to a building that Osborne wasn't even sure he wanted his name on shows that many people are not ready to blindly follow this guy.

unless his name is Frank "the tank" Solich.

whether you like Pud or not, donations for the athletic facility is a reflection on the fans, NOT THE AD OR THE COACH......IMHO........we need to support the team and the building of world class facilities.....we can always get another AD or coach later if need be.......

hunter