Tailgating TV Set Up

Hey guys, can anyone help out if they know the easiest way to do this?

I want to set up a TV, running from the power outlet in my car while I tailgate.

I know I need an adapter of some sort for the TV to plug into that I can then plug into the power outlet in my car

Then I need to set up portable dish?

I guess I am starting from scratch here and just looking for some thoughts/help

So, if you got any ideas, let me hear them!

I would suggest a higher wattage inverter. The 600W will probably handle a lot of TV's but not all and there isn't much else you can do on only 600 watts.

I think the thing you have to think about is how long do you plan to operate the TV? Running off an inverter, you will drain your battery if you go for any significant length of time. I wouldn't worry about that too much if you have provisions for getting your vehicle started with a dead battery. Shouldn't be too tough in a lot full of Husker fans to get a jump or maybe you have one of them jump starter dealies. But, if you want to run that big screen TV for 2+ hours, and you have a little coin to blow, get a nice quiet power generator. Won't have to worry about draining your battery or not having enough power for multiple devices. And, those things are really handy for many other things; camping, remote operation of pitching machines, crock pots and other electrical appliances, etc.

I'm just a bit down on low to mid powered inverters. That is what I have and I've run into numerous things I just can't do with it. They're handy if you know for sure it's high enough wattage but they're frustrating when you run into their limitations.

We run a satellite, TV, the sat box on one inverter. My advice; do not skimp on the inverter. Get one that wires directly to your battery, the little lighter adapter ones will not hold out, even if you have enough watts many times you vehicles wiring cannot handle the long amp draw and you will blow fuses.

For the satellite, we have one for an RV, once you are set, you plug it in, and it will find the satellite and lock on, once that is done, you dont need to power it, as long as no one moves it.

Check the back of the TV you want to use, and see what the max and continuous draw is, also check the sat box (this is really low). As long as your inverter can continuously handle that draw you should be fine. We start up in stages, Sat location, once that is done, sat box, then TV. We can run for a few hours with the motor off.

Also, always remember you jumper cables. You WILL need them at least once a year.

I bought an inverter about 15 years ago and still runs strong. 1000 watts. It has clips much like jumper cables to hook directly to the battery and a PTO plug with 3 plugins for appliances. I paid around $30.00. Sears automotive, seemed back then they were the only ones selling inverters.

Is the PTO plug basically, the outlets?

Do you use your inverter for a TV?

The inverter will get the job done and quieter but some of the newer generators are scary quiet. If you go the inverter route, really look at jumping up to minimum 1000w and maybe 1200-1500. Also I like the direct wire suggestion. Cig lighter outlets aren't designed for that constant amp draw.

The inverter will get the job done and quieter but some of the newer generators are scary quiet. If you go the inverter route, really look at jumping up to minimum 1000w and maybe 1200-1500. Also I like the direct wire suggestion. Cig lighter outlets aren't designed for that constant amp draw.

The more I look at it the more I would go with an inverter at 1000w higher and I thinking hooking it up directly would be best and just make sure to start and run my car for about 10 minutes every hour.

The more I look at it the more I would go with an inverter at 1000w higher and I thinking hooking it up directly would be best and just make sure to start and run my car for about 10 minutes every hour.

That is a good plan. As for wiring, its not bad, you do need to run large gauge wire though. If you can find one of those car stereo stores they can do it pretty quickly.