Paps excited about D

OK then.

1) Paps not having the experience? Paps not having the experience is incorrect for one. He's been with Bo since the beginning of time. He knows Bo's system and philosophies probably better than Bo does. This is better than bringing in some outsider and having a clash of egos so to speak. Also, Bo runs the defense. This has been over-hammered numerous times. If watching the interaction of Bo and Paps (and before, Carl) on the sideline doesnt make this obvious, the you really do NOT pay attention to anything important. Maybe someday this will not be case, and maybe it shouldnt even be the case now, that is up for debate. But as of now, it is what it is.

2) No player development? What do you expect? Chicken salad out of chicken sh#t? I'm sorry, but the last two years the defense has really lacked necessary talent to be the unit it needs to be. As far as player development goes, look on the offensive side of the ball. Look at Bo's first 3 years of defense. There's been plenty of development. Just not enough talent from the first few recruiting classes. Again, this horse is already dead to.

3) You being optimistic. This is comical. I nor anyone on this board has ever seen it and still dont. Goal-line optimism is a laughable concept.

There, that's my 3 disagreements right of the top, and sadly so, it negates about 98% of your thoughts.

In 2004 Papuchis was an intern at LSU. Do you really think he is someone who has the qualifications to coach the "Black Shirt Defense", one of the most storied defensive programs in college history? I don't see it on the field. He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in 2012. Do you think he really could have the smarts and experience of eight short years to run a top defensive program? Not even close.

And no, there is not player development. Player development is what Tom Osborne built at Nebraska. How many "walk on" players are there currently on the NU squad that came from small schools and worked their way into the starting line up? Osborne knew the importance of the culture of NU football. That culture was getting home grown kids to NU and making them into players. How many recruits does NU have from last year's class? How many from this year's class?

And yes, I am optimistic because I am a huge Husker fan. I always cheer for the team, no matter how bad the defense is under Papuchis. Optimism is part of Husker Nation.

I simply tell it like I see it.

I have a good story. In '64 a man was hired to be an unpaid offensive assistant. He was named the OC for the '69 season & 4 years later he was the head coach. In 9 seasons he had moved from an unpaid assistant to the head coach of a team who had just 1 year prior won back to back national titles.Tom_Osborne_%281965%29.jpg

• Fire 1

In 2004 Papuchis was an intern at LSU. Do you really think he is someone who has the qualifications to coach the "Black Shirt Defense", one of the most storied defensive programs in college history? I don't see it on the field. He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in 2012. Do you think he really could have the smarts and experience of eight short years to run a top defensive program? Not even close.

Tim Beck.

I win.

hold up, beck was an OC before became nebraska's OC. never mind the fact that it was used against him when he became OC.

now, as to paps being qualified to be DC after just 8 short years. yes, he could have the smarts (whatever the hell you mean by that) and experience bo needed in 8 short years. he is getting on the job training basically because he has bo to fall back on. and iirc the game planning leading up to every game is a collaboration. but hey what do i know.

No he wasn't. He was a "Passing game coordinator" at Kansas, which is akin to Barney Cotton's "Run game coordinator" here. Mark Mangino called the plays at KU.

He was actually the OC at Nothwest Missouri State or some D3 school like that, but that's not exactly the same as being the OC at Nebraska.

True, he was for 1 season in 1998.

For the sake of it being unfair as hell to compare anyone to Tom Osborne, what was Chip Kelly doing 8 AGO, much less, 8 years before his first coordinator job. How's about Nick Saban? What was he doing 8 years before his first coordinator job? Bob Stoops? C'mon folks. Guys have to get their start somewhere. I understand the angst around the Papuchis promotion after just one year, but seriously, there was just as much if not more when Beck was promoted. Mainly because Bo was a defensive guy, the offense was in the tank, and he was promoting some Youngstown buddy from within to fix something that we perceived that Bo knew nothing about. But Bo had a vision, had a qb, got the guy he wanted in that position, put the talent around him that fit that vision, and now, less than 3 years later, we're sitting worrying about the defense-the thing that Bo DOES know. So what's the god damn problem?

I still feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

For the sake of it being unfair as hell to compare anyone to Tom Osborne, what was Chip Kelly doing 8 AGO, much less, 8 years before his first coordinator job. How's about Nick Saban? What was he doing 8 years before his first coordinator job? Bob Stoops? C'mon folks. Guys have to get their start somewhere. I understand the angst around the Papuchis promotion after just one year, but seriously, there was just as much if not more when Beck was promoted. Mainly because Bo was a defensive guy, the offense was in the tank, and he was promoting some Youngstown buddy from within to fix something that we perceived that Bo knew nothing about. But Bo had a vision, had a qb, got the guy he wanted in that position, put the talent around him that fit that vision, and now, less than 3 years later, we're sitting worrying about the defense-the thing that Bo DOES know. So what's the god damn problem?

I still feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Kelly had been at a bunch of small schools since the early 90's. He was the OC at New Hampshire before moving to Oregon. Stoops was at KSU for a couple of years before becoming the Co-DC at KSU & then he was DC at Florida. Saban has been coaching longer then I have been alive.

There will never again be 5-8 players in the state that we can scholarship and the walk-on program (while it truly is top notch) will never be what it was. Why? BECAUSE THERE ARE NOW SCHOLARSHIP LIMITS AND MORE OPTIONS FOR CFB PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd also like to add, in regards to why the walk-on program will never be the same again...

1993: Resident Undergraduate

Tuition: $64.50/credit hour, $960/semester (15 hours)

Room and Board: $1,100

Books: $200

Fees: $100

Total: $2,360/semester or about $21,240 for 9 semesters

Average Pay College Grad: 1995 (men): 19/hour

2013: Resident Undergraduate

Tuition: $216.00/credit hour, $3,240/semester

Room & Board: $2,107

Books: $550

Fees: $700

Bunch of other stuff: $2,000

Total: $8,500 per semester, or about $76,500 for 9 semesters (no one finishes in 4 yrs these days)

Average Pay College Grad: 2013 (men): 22.77/hour

Tuition Increase 1995 - 2013: 260%

Pay Increase 1995 - 2013: 19.8%

• Fire 1

How does that tuition increase compare to other schools? It's only a problem if the cost to go to UNL is greater than other schools. Since most of our walk-ons are in-state, the guys who would normally walk on here are either going to go to another in-state school or pay out-of-state tuition rates to go to another school.

How does that tuition increase compare to other schools? It's only a problem if the cost to go to UNL is greater than other schools. Since most of our walk-ons are in-state, the guys who would normally walk on here are either going to go to another in-state school or pay out-of-state tuition rates to go to another school.

Not if they are getting scholarships at smaller schools.

No, it's a problem when a kid can no longer walk away from the full ride that accompanies their North Dakota State offer, and walk on at UNL without being burdened by 20 years of student loan debt. In the mid-90's that was possible. Today, a kid that would have walked on 20 years ago...almost has to take the Northwest Missouri offer, or the South Dakota State offer. It seems like there are half a dozen every year in this same boat.

Our walk-on class is trending towards being comprised of lesser athletes, or kids from families that are well off. The middle-ground, good but not great athletes...those are the future contributors, and most of them are choosing the $$ - and no one can blame them.

• Fire 1

I'm not that worried about losing a kid who would play at Northwest Missouri State.

tumblr_mjps7ok77A1qe54cno1_500.jpg

I'd post pictures of the 1,000 kids who didn't have Danny Woodhead's career but there aren't any. Because they weren't very good. And they didn't play beyond college.

Woodhead doesn't make the point. He's the exception, not the rule.

• Fire 1