Why Wyoming Can Beat Nebraska - from the blogs at WyoNation

knapplc

LINK

There is good news though for the Pokes, this current Huskers team isn’t your grandfathers, fathers or even older brothers Nebraska program. The Nebraska mystique has been gone since 2001 and the Big Red are currently just another college football program with a rich and storied tradition. Nebraska is no longer feared and the days of Tom Osborne running a triple option attack are a distant memory. It is a tough ask but there are several factors that should give Wyoming hope that they can pull off an upset at (the other) War Memorial Stadium come August 31st.

Martinez also has many flaws as a passer, a poor throwing motion that looks more like a shot put than a proper release, he throws off his back foot, he stares down his primary receiver and has a hard time reading defensive coverages (especially intermediately over the middle). These are all factors Wyoming can take advantage of and the Cowboys can limit Martinez’s production and force him into the mistakes he has so often made by doing the following things:

1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

2. Keep Martinez in the pocket with a containment philosophy that does not blitz often. Blitzing is the only way Martinez will hurt you on the ground. He only has elite straight line speed and does not have the ability to make people miss in the hole or in the open field. By blitzing you give him a wide lane to run through if the blitz is picked up and he will hurt you.

3. Mix up your coverages. Martinez has a hard time reading a defense presnap and Wyoming’s switch to the 3-4 (with no film on it for Nebraska to look at) could give the Cowboys an advantage in confusing Martinez by masking coverages where the fourth pass rusher is coming from.

So there you have it, if Wyoming can take advantage of the weaknesses I have outlined above the Cowboys could be making national headlines come Saturday night.

There is a lot of speculation and dreaming going on here. Read the whole blog if you like. These are the salient points. It's a bit comical, and it appears the author skipped past most of 2012.

Did Wyoming do this?

Hats off to you guys Virginian, great game by the Cowboys. No doubt that alot of us around here underestimated you guys and your QB. While I mostly I attribute that to the pre-season koolaid enjoyed by every fanbase as opposed to a real lack of respect for your program, no doubt we are eating a bit of crow.

Good luck on the rest of your season, hope you run the table in the MWC.

:wasted

OK. That was unbelievable.

I'm sure Wyoming has a number of good storylines -- their QB, their OC, whatever. Look around the country and almost any small time program is going to have good storylines and a few plucky players or savvy coaches. The thing is, premier programs still eat these guys for lunch. It's awfully hard to swallow when that doesn't happen, especially in this manner.

Yes, it's opening weekend. There are so-called cupcakes that give top-25 teams trouble every year, and I'm sure many of those go on to eventual success. That's all true, but the kind of performances we've seen put up against us are starting to feel like a trend. Bo's a very, very smart coach. He knows defense. And what's more, he's a tremendous leader in that he's tided the team through odds that would've caused cracks and crumbles for most. But the defenses that we have been fielding are starting to get very hard to defend. It's absolutely right that it's just about execution...but the coach needs to be able to field a squad that is able to avoid total execution breakdowns more often than this.

I'm sure that D will bounce back. They always do. This won't be the best we see out of them this year by a long shot. Not saying much, I know.

• Fire 1