Roughing the Quarterback?

TaraTony

That's football in 2013. The QB in particular has a tiny strike zone. You grab him by the neck like that, and the refs see it, it'll get called every time.

The thing that surprised me is that they saw it. Initially I thought it was just a really good sack, but in slow motion it was pretty obvious. There were some bad calls in that game, as the video reviews demonstrated, but that was actually an exceptional call by the ref. Not that I agree with the rule.

Unless its our guy.

That crew was especially inept. THREE calls overturned? Surprised we weren't called back after the game to review the opening kickoff.

Don't forget about the two flags that were waved off.

My dad and I talked about this one on the way home and when we officiate high school games on friday nights, our crew wouldn't have thrown a flag on that play. Sure it looks vicious and nasty but thats part of the game and a legal tackle.

The three overturned calls didn't bother me. The game happens extremely fast and those multiple angle slo-mo replays make everyone an expert in hindsight. They were three close calls overturned by review. The system works. The Enunwa review made me appreciate how brilliant his little toe drag really was.

Hated, hated, hated the Gregory penalty when it happened, but kinda got the horsecollar aspect upon review. As did Eric Crouch. If you hated this call you're going to hate a lot of calls in the NCAA and NFL this season.

Worst personal foul call I've ever seen.

This wouldn't have been called a penalty in the SEC. There are many reason why Southern football is looking better than elsewhere. The application of "roughing" rules is one of them.

You say that, but A&M had a player ejected for targeting yesterday. He leveled a hit on the guys chest with his shoulder on a tipped ball before the whistle blew. The wussificationofamerica is everywhere.

Maybe it shoulda been called. Maybe not. But here's the deal that hasnt been mentioned yet. Josh Mitchells blind side sack on Smith on the 2 point play. He stuck the crown of his helmet right in the back of Smith's head. No call. And that was far more detrimental. The rules have the best at heart, but the application and consistency really suck.

And check out the last play of the Wyoming game. Brett Smith had unloaded the ball while avoiding the grasp, but the Husker defender still flung him to the ground. Hard.

Of course I had no problem with it and we were all busy exhaling from the last gasp victory, but had the refs thrown a roughing the passer penalty you could hardly have been surprised, given other similar calls, and Smith would have had another shot, 15 yards closer.