My opinion on our JUCO/lower star grabs

Carrington

All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their own peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their own peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself. 
- Oscar Wilde

In my opinion, through this quote; Everything our coaches and program directors do is an image to the outside. How we interpret what they do, is how we see them. And if we interpret the actions badly, then they will be bad. The same goes if you switch it around. What we have to do is let our coaches coach. Would you run out in the middle of a concert and conduct the choir? No. So you should let our coaches coach, recruit, and direct our program back to it's winning ways. We shouldn't discourage their efforts. Believe it or not, our staff knows what they're doing. It's hard to sit back and watch a dominant program struggle with Kansas, but what will you do? Now... on to our disapproval of one-star recruits.

Demorrio Williams was a one star JUCO. Now he's the starting Linebacker for the Falcons. It dosen't matter about stars. Do I love them? Who dosen't? They're bright and shinny! But the point is, if our coaches like what they see then they are the right players. When it gets right down to it, stars are nice but they count for nothing once they sign. USC a few years back signed the number three back, one mister Reggie Bush. But they also signed the number one quarterback , and he never panned out. It only goes to show you that recruits, no matter how talented, are only as good as the coaches that teach them. If we had Reggie Bush, or LenDale White this year... I'm positive they wouldn't have done anything with our Offensive Line. So do not worry on our lack of stars, because with the right amount of coaching and development... They'll soon be stars on the field.

Kudos to Callahan & Company for their continued development of our players, tradition, and program. Let's gear up for the future baby, it's right around the corner.

"We're Nebraska, whoever is here should

show the same class as our great

tradition." -Godspeed and Go Big Red!

E-mail questions, comments, and ideas to

HuskerCarrington@hotmail.com

-your turn-

I agree with you about letting the coaches recruit. In my opinion stars do matter, to some extent. I can almost guarantee the percentage of success is higher with 4 and 5 star recruits vs 3 star recruits and so on. This dosen't mean that there won't be a bust with top recruit or be a great player that goes unnoticed in high school.

Also Demo Williams was a 5-star JUCO and not a 1-star.

Reggie Bush was the #1 running back for 2003.

Per scout.com

D. Williams is listed as I stated it earlier in my post.

Just scroll down and find his name.

R. Bush is listed as the number three back.

Verse same as the first, scroll and find.

I appreciate the commentary though.

Per scout.com

D. Williams is listed as I stated it earlier in my post.

Just scroll down and find his name.

R. Bush is listed as the number three back.

Verse same as the first, scroll and find.

I appreciate the commentary though.

I think Polo was referring to the Rivals ratings, in which he is correct.

Nice post Carrington and welcome aboard!

I think by the end Becks jr season we will all know if coach Cal system is going to work. He will have the players he wants for the wco by then. He shouldn't have any problem bringing in a top qb prospect either as back up for Beck, with no one really on the depth chart that jumps out at you after next season. I look for a return to the top of the Big 12. With the players the Huskers have brought in the last 2 seasons and the way these coaches can recruit we should see some very good results very soon. IMHO.

GBR!!!

Believe it or not, our staff knows what they're doing.

I dunno about that :wacko: A 12-10 record against sub-par competition doesnt show much to me. How about you??

It is tough to argue with the numbers. However, I'm going to hold off on calling them great coaches until they actually win something. Every coach in D1 "knows what they're doing" but I think we deserve better than that at Nebraska. We want championships and a coach who simply "knows what he's doing" is not going to get that done. I'm going to stand behind Callahan and support these coaches but they haven't accomplished enough to say that they're great or not.