Game 3 "Expert" Picks: UCLA vs. Nebraska

ADS

The more I read into match ups I like ours more. Their young OL (who gave up 52 sacks last season) vs our young DL. It would be different if their entire OL were 5th year seniors but that isn't the case.

Their inexperienced secondary vs our WRs.

If we take care of the football I don't see us having much trouble winning the game.

I don't complain about everything....but i see coaches who have less head coaching experience than Bo and they already have a BCS bowl win under their belt and just feels like Bo is never going to get there if he hasn't already.

Please, I want to see this list. Are you talking about a Michigan team that back doored into a win? Who else?

Are you going to acquire one of this coaches?

Please, do us a favor, bite a curb.

I've posted this list before. I'm not talking about Michigan. Coaching climate has changed and you aren't going to find many tenured coaches at one spot anymore because of it. When you coach at a school with multiple national championships you get even less time. Coaches are lucky they even get a full 4 years before they are fired now a days. Bo just doesn't have many signatures wins against good opponents. Beating UCLA will help but he has to continue that but if we lose that seat will get hotter. If UCLA stomps us there will be more serious talks about firing Bo at the end of the season. I want Bo to win and succeed but can't keep a coach who can't deliver just because you like him.

Bo has made obvious progress with the program from where it was when he took over. Last couple years, yes, have been a step or two back. But every program has dips in performance. There is never one single program or franchise in any sport at any level that constantly gets better year after year after year after year. Even the Bulls lost Jordan. The Yankess failed to make the world series. Tom Osborne had 1996. Alabama lost 3 game in 2010 after winning a title. Bo came in here guns a blazin and with the way 2008 and 2009 ended, he gave us (and possible himself) this feeling that getting back to the top was gonna be much quicker and easier than he thought it would. But there were setbacks. Now it's time to respond to the setback and use the difficult experiences to get better.

In the new book, several guys have reiterated that without the lost in 1993 to Florida St, they really dont believe that championships occur in '94 and 95. It was a huge catalyst. And before the run there were blowout losses in 1990. 45-10 to and unranked Oklahoma, and 45-24 to eventual national champ Georgia Tech(this score was closer than the game). Just a couple years prior to that season Nebraska was a perennial top 5. Sometimes you have to follow before you can lead. Sometimes you have to get hit in the mouth before you punch back. We gotta quit looking at Bo's short era under such a magnifying glass and viewing it through the big picture. Execute the process.

Watching the TCU/TT game they are talking about NU struggles on defense. Our D has got to be tired of hearing this and have to want to make a statement

This team has all the reason in the world to play better. They face constant scrutiny, whether warranted or not. It's time they stop looking for motivation and use what they have to create a better product, and that's from the top down.

Please don't use my post to take a sucker punch at BP. All I mean is that I would be tired of hearing the negative talk and want to do something about it.

Man this is some pissing match. :lol:

Seriously though, play the game and see what happens. I think we win by about 10-12 pts. Just a feeling, I think we get up early and the game is really never in doubt. I think the defense plays well holding them to about 350 yards. I think they will really stuff their run game fairly well holding them to about 125 yards on the ground.

I think Pelini really will have something for them. I feel about this game the way I felt about Washington #1 in 2010. I don't think they win that big, but I remember all the angst about Jake Locker going into it. I think they can shut Hundley down similar to that.

THIS.

Everyone remember the hype for the 2010 Washington game?

The spread was 3.5 points and Nebraska was ranked #8 in the nation to a 1-1 Washington team. Everyone was afeared of Locker...he was the second coming and his cleats wouldn't sink when he stepped into swimming pools...which he subsequently blessed and turned into wine.

Nebraska SHUT HIM DOWN. He was 22-33 the previous week for 289 yards when they destroyed Syracuse.

What did he do versus us?

4-20 for 71 yards with 2 INT's.

How about we have a little faith that Bo will get us ready for this one?

2010 was our second best defense under Pelini.

A secondary that had 4 future NFL STARTERS, and the best LB we've had in the last decade in Lavonte David. This years D (who could be decent) is no where near 2010.

Man this is some pissing match. :lol:

Seriously though, play the game and see what happens. I think we win by about 10-12 pts. Just a feeling, I think we get up early and the game is really never in doubt. I think the defense plays well holding them to about 350 yards. I think they will really stuff their run game fairly well holding them to about 125 yards on the ground.

I think Pelini really will have something for them. I feel about this game the way I felt about Washington #1 in 2010. I don't think they win that big, but I remember all the angst about Jake Locker going into it. I think they can shut Hundley down similar to that.

THIS.

Everyone remember the hype for the 2010 Washington game?

The spread was 3.5 points and Nebraska was ranked #8 in the nation to a 1-1 Washington team. Everyone was afeared of Locker...he was the second coming and his cleats wouldn't sink when he stepped into swimming pools...which he subsequently blessed and turned into wine.

Nebraska SHUT HIM DOWN. He was 22-33 the previous week for 289 yards when they destroyed Syracuse.

What did he do versus us?

4-20 for 71 yards with 2 INT's.

How about we have a little faith that Bo will get us ready for this one?

2010 was our second best defense under Pelini.

A secondary that had 4 future NFL STARTERS, and the best LB we've had in the last decade in Lavonte David. This years D (who could be decent) is no where near 2010.

Personally, at the time, we had no idea that those guys would become NFL starters, and had no idea that they would be THAT dominant.

Let's give this team a chance to prove themselves before you shoot them down. None of us have any idea how good these guys are going to be.

I wasn't "shooting them down", and I'm pretty sure most of us had an idea that the 2010 defense was going to be really good. I mean Mel Kiper at one time had Prince, Crick, and Fonzie on his big board. It's not really fair to compare the two, imo.

I wasn't "shooting them down", and I'm pretty sure most of us had an idea that the 2010 defense was going to be really good. I mean Mel Kiper at one time had Prince, Crick, and Fonzie on his big board. It's not really fair to compare the two, imo.

He didn't have all of them on his big board at the start of the 2010 season.

Did I say start?

Did I say start?

Hindsight is 20/20. Bandaras, Gerry, Gregory, and Collins may be on Mel Kiper's big board in 2-3 years. I am not comparing the 2 teams. I am saying you or I don't know. This could end up being one of BP's best defenses.

It appears that you choose to be more of a glass half empty guy, I like my glass half full. :lol:

Did I say start?

Hindsight is 20/20. Bandaras, Gerry, Gregory, and Collins may be on Mel Kiper's big board in 2-3 years. I am not comparing the 2 teams. I am saying you or I don't know. This could end up being one of BP's best defenses.

It appears that you choose to be more of a glass half empty guy, I like my glass half full. :lol:

This is what I was trying to say, alas I'm terrible. Hah

Their young OL (who gave up 52 sacks last season) vs our young DL.

I've seen this mentioned often here - a lot of those sacks were due to Hundley's inexperience, as opposed to a offensive line breakdown. He just didn't throw the ball away when his receivers were covered. He showed vast improvement in this area against Nevada. One area that is not getting enough focus is our defensive line. Even though Owa probably won't play (there were reports of him practicing after the Nevada game) we have very good, if young, players in the defensive trenches.

Did I say start?

This is what I was trying to say, alas I'm terrible. Hah

My original post was talking about this year, not 2-3 years down the road. I was saying I don't believe the 2013 defense will be as good as the 2010. Couple years? Sure, it's possible.

You know, I watched essentially the quick play through of the UCLA offense and they don't seem as fast as I remember from last year. I originally thought their offense would be cramming it down our throats but I am beginning to change my tune. I think our young defense has a shot to take advantage over their young offensive line.

Something else to note - I don't think Hundley has a very nice deep ball, but he has a hell of an arm for quick passes on a rope. We need to keep an eye out for quick 5 yard routes. Hopefully we can bump those receivers and keep him contained.

After watching I think the speed of our secondary should be able to match the speed of their offense. I think i'm going to call for a 10 point Nebraska win.

• Fire 1