Game 3 "Expert" Picks: UCLA vs. Nebraska

ADS

You know, I watched essentially the quick play through of the UCLA offense and they don't seem as fast as I remember from last year. I originally thought their offense would be cramming it down our throats but I am beginning to change my tune. I think our young defense has a shot to take advantage over their young offensive line.

After watching I think the speed of our secondary should be able to match the speed of their offense. I think i'm going to call for a 10 point Nebraska win.

Trust me if you can pin the loss on one thing from last year it is tackling. I was at the game and the tackling was terrible. BP is not lying when he says they picked up 300 yards after contact.

I don't complain about everything....but i see coaches who have less head coaching experience than Bo and they already have a BCS bowl win under their belt and just feels like Bo is never going to get there if he hasn't already.

Please, I want to see this list. Are you talking about a Michigan team that back doored into a win? Who else?

Are you going to acquire one of this coaches?

Please, do us a favor, bite a curb.

I've posted this list before. I'm not talking about Michigan. Coaching climate has changed and you aren't going to find many tenured coaches at one spot anymore because of it. When you coach at a school with multiple national championships you get even less time. Coaches are lucky they even get a full 4 years before they are fired now a days. Bo just doesn't have many signatures wins against good opponents. Beating UCLA will help but he has to continue that but if we lose that seat will get hotter. If UCLA stomps us there will be more serious talks about firing Bo at the end of the season. I want Bo to win and succeed but can't keep a coach who can't deliver just because you like him.

And, why does it have to be like that? And, even if other programs are like that, why does Nebraska have to be like that?

I personally find that an indictment on the fan base of those schools more so than the way the industry should be.

I hate coaching changes and believe they many times set back a program and stunts it's growth. ND over the last few decades is a prime example of this.

You know, I watched essentially the quick play through of the UCLA offense and they don't seem as fast as I remember from last year. I originally thought their offense would be cramming it down our throats but I am beginning to change my tune. I think our young defense has a shot to take advantage over their young offensive line.

After watching I think the speed of our secondary should be able to match the speed of their offense. I think i'm going to call for a 10 point Nebraska win.

Trust me if you can pin the loss on one thing from last year it is tackling. I was at the game and the tackling was terrible. BP is not lying when he says they picked up 300 yards after contact.

Watching that video, if we can take away his first option while passing, this will be a very long game for Brett. Every pass that he completed were his first reads. His incompletions came when he had to keep his footwork and go down his checklist. He has a cannon of an arm, but his footwork struggles, and you can really see it in his drop when he goes to throw deep balls. (Sound familiar?)

If we can press our corners and not get beat off the line, then we will be in good shape. Easier said then done though.

Watching those highlights, Hundley's reads are SIMPLE. 8yrd curls routes, drag routes, hb swings, and 1 or two drags. And then if he saw bump and run man coverage, he would audible Shaq Evans into a streak and try and float on over him, which were some ugly throws, btw. If Hundley trys to do those curls on SJB or Ciante, it will get deflected or picked every time as they just pick up on that route so quick it's crazy. SJB and his long arms are who I want to have on Shaq if we go man because that guys got one of the quickest release from press I've seen in a while. If we can contain those routes and have our LB's keep those swings and out and ups from the halfbacks covered, I think we win and win big. I didn't see anything special from Hundley's passing game and I can't imagine they get crazy with him this game either.

Something else to note - I don't think Hundley has a very nice deep ball, but he has a hell of an arm for quick passes on a rope. We need to keep an eye out for quick 5 yard routes. Hopefully we can bump those receivers and keep him contained.

From these highlights, a few things stick out to me.

1) Their tackles are beatable. We will have much better rush ends. I think we can get to him. When we get to him, we NEED to tackle him and contain him in the pocket.

2) They killed Nevada with short passing and especially the crossing route. We HAVE GOT to defend this well.

3) He isn't very accurate with the long ball. So, if we can commit to defending the crossing route and short game and force him to throw long, we are forcing him to do something he isn't as good at. This also allows our pass rush more time to get to him.

I'll shoot all of this over to Bo and JP so they can start putting together a game plan.

• Fire 1

1) Their tackles are beatable. We will have much better rush ends. I think we can get to him. When we get to him, we NEED to tackle him and contain him in the pocket.

2) They killed Nevada with short passing and especially the crossing route. We HAVE GOT to defend this well.

3) He isn't very accurate with the long ball. So, if we can commit to defending the crossing route and short game and force him to throw long, we are forcing him to do something he isn't as good at. This also allows our pass rush more time to get to him.

I'll shoot all of this over to Bo and JP so they can start putting together a game plan.

1 - Gregory is really good and is a HUGE upgrade from what we've had the last few years. Ankrah is decent at best - hasn't made any plays when he's had a chance. I hope Moss or McMullen keep improving.

2 - Wyoming also hurt us with crossing routes. Not as bad as Northwestern a couple years ago because we at least made the tackle without any YAC. Against So. Miss we made a change to line up inside their slot receivers to be in better position to defend crossing routes and switched better. Hopefully we are in better shape on this.

I'm still really worried about our safeties. Cooper has made a couple plays but has also failed to step up and make a tackle on quite a few occasions. Harvey Jackson really hasn't done anything of note. The only thing I remember about Green is how he got run over by the Wyoming receiver. Looks to me like we are still lacking a play-maker back there. Hopefully we aren't also still lacking player to just make the routine plays.

1 - Gregory is really good and is a HUGE upgrade from what we've had the last few years. Ankrah is decent at best - hasn't made any plays when he's had a chance. I hope Moss or McMullen keep improving.

2 - Wyoming also hurt us with crossing routes. Not as bad as Northwestern a couple years ago because we at least made the tackle without any YAC. Against So. Miss we made a change to line up inside their slot receivers to be in better position to defend crossing routes and switched better. Hopefully we are in better shape on this.

I'm still really worried about our safeties. Cooper has made a couple plays but has also failed to step up and make a tackle on quite a few occasions. Harvey Jackson really hasn't done anything of note. The only thing I remember about Green is how he got run over by the Wyoming receiver. Looks to me like we are still lacking a play-maker back there. Hopefully we aren't also still lacking player to just make the routine plays.

I agree with what you are saying. I'm concerned that we will end up some how with an empty defensive back field like we saw with Wyoming. That is what happened many times to Nevada in these clips. Nevada was able to hit Hundley several times. If they can do it, I'm confident our rush ends can get to him a lot.

I must not have seen the crossing routes where he actually threw to them. He hit Fuller many times on drag routes that went for a lot of yards though. You're right about the lack of safety playmakers though. It makes me wonder where CJax is and why they switched Gerry out(beside the fact that he's been really good at lb).

I've posted this list before. I'm not talking about Michigan. Coaching climate has changed and you aren't going to find many tenured coaches at one spot anymore because of it. When you coach at a school with multiple national championships you get even less time. Coaches are lucky they even get a full 4 years before they are fired now a days. Bo just doesn't have many signatures wins against good opponents. Beating UCLA will help but he has to continue that but if we lose that seat will get hotter. If UCLA stomps us there will be more serious talks about firing Bo at the end of the season. I want Bo to win and succeed but can't keep a coach who can't deliver just because you like him.

And, why does it have to be like that? And, even if other programs are like that, why does Nebraska have to be like that?

I personally find that an indictment on the fan base of those schools more so than the way the industry should be.

I hate coaching changes and believe they many times set back a program and stunts it's growth. ND over the last few decades is a prime example of this.

completely agree, brb. and husker_99, you can keep a coach around just because you like him. especially if it appears that the future is bright and he has succeeded.

I must not have seen the crossing routes where he actually threw to them. He hit Fuller many times on drag routes that went for a lot of yards though. You're right about the lack of safety playmakers though. It makes me wonder where CJax is and why they switched Gerry out(beside the fact that he's been really good at lb).

Which game are you talking about here?

Which game are you talking about here?

He's watching the same one. Just a different name for the routes. Drag routes are crossing routes.

Im sure that these have been posted before. But is it just me? Or in the second half of football did we look like an entirely different football team defensively? We did a lot better job of disguising coverages that we were in. In the first half UCLA was basically able to motion a RB out and we would tip the coverage we were in and then we had Compton in on a RB or slot guy which spelled trouble from the beginning. This also left the middle of the football field wide open for that big TE they had to catch the football.

Bottom line if we would have made a handfull of key tackles last year against this team we beat them and it would have decreased the amount of yards (because everyone is fascinated with that stat here) by about 150-200 bare minimum.

Something else to note - I don't think Hundley has a very nice deep ball, but he has a hell of an arm for quick passes on a rope. We need to keep an eye out for quick 5 yard routes. Hopefully we can bump those receivers and keep him contained.

Bottom line, Nevada Wolf Pack is decent or terrible?

BigReadBuster post: 3) He isn't very accurate with the long ball. So, if we can commit to defending the crossing route and short game and force him to throw long, we are forcing him to do something he isn't as good at. This also allows our pass rush more time to get to him.

Plus winds from the SSE at 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 35 mph. (Saturday forecast)