Hurry up.... and wait

tmfr15

I know that a lot of us are concerned with the defense and how it might hold up this weekend. Count me in that camp too. I certainly believe that the defense needs to have its best performance of the year, but I don't think that means dominance. And I don't think it's only the defense that can limit the UCLA offense.

Special teams will play a role. And the defense needs to get off the field on third down.

There is a role here for the offense too IMO. I think the offense needs to get the play called early in the clock, get to the LOS, and then milk the clock down. We are at home. We need to use dummy calls, read the defense, and keep UCLA uncomfortable and frustrated with a "hurry up and wait" kind of pace. If we can pile up some first downs and possess the ball, our defense will not only have time to rest, they'll also have time to work out any problem areas and refine the strategy for the next UCLA possession.

If we possess the ball for 30 seconds and score, it might be as damaging to us in the long run as if the offense went three-and-out.

Efficiency and execution is key for the offense. We can count on these veteran performers and, if plays out right, our defense will have less of a work load and less pressure on them when they get out on the field.

There is a role here for the offense too IMO. I think the offense needs to get the play called early in the clock, get to the LOS, and then milk the clock down.

This is something Beck and Martinez are great at doing. Quick to the LOS, then making reads and changing plays until the clock exhausts. Gives us the best of both worlds: No defensive substitutions, and we (hopefully) get to the right call against a particular defensive scheme.

Defensively, if Nebraska gives up in the 400-500 yards range and around 30 points, I'd call that a victory to be honest. Anything better than that is awesome, anything worse... yikes.

Offensively, Nebraska needs to score, score and score some more, regardless of what the defense is doing. That said, I don't think it's a bad idea to pace the offense for long drives. If Nebraska can put together long, 10+ play touchdown drives and keep UCLA's offense off the field, then I'm all for it. The last thing I want to see Nebraska in is a shootout.

Control the tempo and don't turn the ball over.

Bo is undefeated against ranked opponents when we win the TO battle.

He has yet to pull one out when we lose the TO battle.

I think there is as much, if not more, pressure on the offense than defense this weekend. Taylor really wants this one. Let's hope he plays like it.

All things being equal. Limit TO's to less than UCLA, improve in our punting when needed (return and punting), try and not get pinned deep on their KO's. Saw Muschamp said every offensive drive needs to end in a kick ie field goal, point after or punt to change the field. Last year at UCLA ST was horrific. Even improving this aspect and still allowing 650 yrds we win.

Beck needs to unleash the hounds. If it works, make UCLA stop it.

A role for the offense? The offense could be THE role. Many are expecting a shootout. This offense needs to be ready to answer repeatedly. Especially this offensive line. If we can't protect Taylor, that's when bad stuff happens. Bad stuff= turnovers.

I on the other hand expect us to be ready for them this time defensively. We win by two scores and hold them to 23 or less.