The Elephant in the Room: Poor QB Play!

I am so on board with this thread. Martinez is our modern day Lord. "He's the best we have..." we keep muttering. Oh god... there has to be someone better. I saw Armstrong play. And people on this board attacked me because I said I'd rather see him in the game than Martinez. I'm glad to see there are others out there who agree. Martinez just keeps racking up stats and that's fine, but he doesn't win big games. Never has. Never will. And when he gives up, he gives up in spectacular fashion.

At this point, let's train the next QB for the job ahead. I hope we at least get ahead of SD state by enough to see the others get in the game.

I would much rather RKIII take over than an untested freshman.

really someone that will be gone in 4 months?..........just to start all over again next year? Not me.......some of the best QBs we have had were untested freshman and sophs that got the call over vets that weren't cutting it and they have went down as some of the best......bring on TA for me.......nothing to lose at this point.

Really. At least RKIII knows the playbook, knows the offense, the players, etc. Armstrong barely knows where his dorm room is right now. I would rather him sit on the bench for one more year to learn the offense to better his chances than to have him thrown to the wolves and fail miserably

Through Martinez's Soph year we probably didn't have a better QB option. By the end of that year though, it was fairly obvious he didn't have "it", and I resigned myself to the fact he will never get us over the hump. That should have started to change the minute Tommy Armstrong Jr. stepped onto campus. Instead Bo stupidly locked in with TM, while TA took a shirt when he could have at a minimum gotten some valuable game experience. Now he has none, and we probably won't play him for that reason as it may give Bo his best chance to win the usual 9 games which seems to mean job security.

What TO figured out by the 80s was you get your most talented players on the field ASAP, especially young QBs that can run the option. That probably saved his job in 1981 when he turned to Turner Gill after a 1-2 start to the season. Gill had a rough first game, but turned in some stellar performances in sparking the team to run through the Big 8 a perfect 7-0. Unfortunately a weird nerve injury knocked Gill out of the last couple games including the Orange Bowl, which could have turned a 7-point loss to Clemson into a win that would have made NU the first team ever to win a national title with two losses. Gill was dominant by the time his final season rolled around in 83, but as we know TO did not quite have the defensive side of equation figured out well enough to win a title. TO kept with it though, and the culmination was with Tommy Frazier from 1992-95, the greatest run ever by a starting NU QB.

Yes Bo has also failed us on the defensive side of the ball. I can't fault those that want to focus blame there since that's why we hired them. However, those are about the only type of threads and comments I've seen. By far the biggest problem I saw on the field against UCLA was at QB, and we have seen it time and time again. That's also on Bo. Even he stated we could have been up by more at halftime, largely on the strength of what the defense did. Then, when the defense needed them most, the offense disappeared and we got rolled as a result as Mora knew just how to attack us.

As far as TM in the NFL, thanks for that one I needed a good ROFLMAO at this point.

Through Martinez's Soph year we probably didn't have a better QB option. By the end of that year though, it was fairly obvious he didn't have "it", and I resigned myself to the fact he will never get us over the hump. That should have started to change the minute Tommy Armstrong Jr. stepped onto campus. Instead Bo stupidly locked in with TM, while TA took a shirt when he could have at a minimum gotten some valuable game experience. Now he has none, and we probably won't play him for that reason as it may give Bo his best chance to win the usual 9 games which seems to mean job security.

What TO figured out by the 80s was you get your most talented players on the field ASAP, especially young QBs that can run the option. That probably saved his job in 1981 when he turned to Turner Gill after a 1-2 start to the season. Gill had a rough first game, but turned in some stellar performances in sparking the team to run through the Big 8 a perfect 7-0. Unfortunately a weird nerve injury knocked Gill out of the last couple games including the Orange Bowl, which could have turned a 7-point loss to Clemson into a win that would have made NU the first team ever to win a national title with two losses. Gill was dominant by the time his final season rolled around in 83, but as we know TO did not quite have the defensive side of equation figured out well enough to win a title. TO kept with it though, and the culmination was with Tommy Frazier from 1992-95, the greatest run ever by a starting NU QB.

Yes Bo has also failed us on the defensive side of the ball. I can't fault those that want to focus blame there since that's why we hired them. However, those are about the only type of threads and comments I've seen. By far the biggest problem I saw on the field against UCLA was at QB, and we have seen it time and time again. That's also on Bo. Even he stated we could have been up by more at halftime, largely on the strength of what the defense did. Then, when the defense needed them most, the offense disappeared and we got rolled as a result as Mora knew just how to attack us.

As far as TM in the NFL, thanks for that one I needed a good ROFLMAO at this point.

Hey man, the 1980s and 1990s called you to tell you that it's not the 1980s or the 1990s anymore. Sure the option may have worked back then, but it certainly doesn't work in today's game, which is all about the spread.

And the biggest problem against UCLA was the QB? Not the offensive linemen? Not the running backs? Not the playcalling? But the QB? Whatever man.

Enjoy Knoxville.

• Fire 1

I am so on board with this thread. Martinez is our modern day Lord. "He's the best we have..." we keep muttering. Oh god... there has to be someone better. I saw Armstrong play. And people on this board attacked me because I said I'd rather see him in the game than Martinez. I'm glad to see there are others out there who agree. Martinez just keeps racking up stats and that's fine, but he doesn't win big games. Never has. Never will. And when he gives up, he gives up in spectacular fashion.

At this point, let's train the next QB for the job ahead. I hope we at least get ahead of SD state by enough to see the others get in the game.

I have been around a long time as I alluded to watching Turner Gill first hand. Armstrong showed better timing and skill on the old school option in his short time on the field than TM in his entire career. Clearly that would give our run game a boost and the other team something else to worry about. Something legit that works, you fail to prepare for at your own risk, and you are hard pressed to address on the fly via halftime adjustments. Making teams prepare for both TM and a legit option threat QB makes far to much sense for Bo to figure out until at least game 10 or so this season, if we're lucky.

So I don't advocate benching TM fully or all of the sudden, I think it starts with a timeshare. If TA plays lights out great, maybe he wins the job. We have nothing to lose either way.

I don't think TM gives up, he's just not good enough plain and simple.

Sure the option may have worked back then, but it certainly doesn't work in today's game, which is all about the spread.

I thought the future was the quarterback read with quarterbacks who could run...which is an option of sort... :dunno However, if by today's game you literally mean today's game against UCLA, why then no, the option doesn't work any more, unless Armstrong is in the game.

No matter. I'm guessing you aren't old enough to recall that Turner Gill and Tommie Frazier both could both throw a beautiful pass and hit a receiver in stride, time after time.

Now remember, I was the one who said last week that Martinez was rightfully starting over the other two because he could always turn on the jets and have a better than even chance of getting the yardage for a first down. I didn't see that this week. Don't know if that is injuries or coaching or Martinez too stubborn to tuck the ball and run, but Martinez not running is a "bleh" quarterback.

Hey man, the 1980s and 1990s called you to tell you that it's not the 1980s or the 1990s anymore. Sure the option may have worked back then, but it certainly doesn't work in today's game, which is all about the spread.

And the biggest problem against UCLA was the QB? Not the offensive linemen? Not the running backs? Not the playcalling? But the QB? Whatever man.

Enjoy Knoxville.

Yeah TM was rock solid just like we expected and the strength of the team. Can't throw, can't run, but at least he can play one good quarter per game.

Clearly we are not going to build our entire offense on old school option ball, like GA TECH has done quite well. I'd rather modernize and go with the Oregon style which I think resonates more with recruits this day also. That's what makes Frost a perfect hire to replace Bo, he could install that no problem at NU.

I have been around a long time as I alluded to watching Turner Gill first hand. Armstrong showed better timing and skill on the old school option in his short time on the field than TM in his entire career. Clearly that would give our run game a boost and the other team something else to worry about. Something legit that works, you fail to prepare for at your own risk, and you are hard pressed to address on the fly via halftime adjustments. Making teams prepare for both TM and a legit option threat QB makes far to much sense for Bo to figure out until at least game 10 or so this season, if we're lucky.

So I don't advocate benching TM fully or all of the sudden, I think it starts with a timeshare. If TA plays lights out great, maybe he wins the job. We have nothing to lose either way.

I don't think TM gives up, he's just not good enough plain and simple.

Totally agree Knox.......that little bit I saw of TA was pretty fun . As far as the poster that says it's not the 80s or 90s and the option won't work............LOL In the 80s and 90s people were saying NE ran this "simple offense" but no one could stop it with the right leader. Now with everyone so IN LOVE with the spread/hurry up offense.........no offense has any idea how to defend an option offiense.....they can't practice against it let alone defend it in a real game against a team who is good at running it ..........that is the point.......which was pretty much the point when TF ran it to perfection in the early 90s. The whole world fell in LOVE with the fast RUN AND GUN that the Floridas had......UNSTOPPABLE..........LMFAO.......we all know how that went. How do you think FL practiced agaist a option team.........think their scout team did the REAL thing justice? I guess not......same thing would happen now if/since we have a great option QB. Bring on TA and and OC that knows the option.......maybe Turner Gill or TF himself? LOL

I understand being frustrated at the coaches. But being angry at kids who play football is childish. Taylor has worked and played to the best of his ability for the past 5 years. I agree that he may not be the best player but bashing him because of that is silly.

You hit the nail on the head. Nobody wants to bash a player and so we've just put up with this for four years now. That's why the thread title, most of us are just being too polite to say anything, for fear of being accused of bashing a kid who deserves better.

I love Taylor Martinez for all he's given the program and am not the slightest bit angry at him or any NU player. I am just speaking honestly about what I see on the field and what could be done to correct it. TM has had a great career and will be noted as such, but I've seen enough of it and am ready for something different, as I believe the large majority of the fan base is but just chooses not to talk about it.

We start a 4th year senior QB because as a freshman he ran for a few long TD and we got all giddy. In 2010 the guy is unreal. Comes out of nowhere and wins the starting QB job. We all see why, he's unreal on the read option, running for long TD after long TD. He's a phenom. Who cares if he's an erratic passer?

Fast forward to 2013. School record 33 TDs. The tease continues, we need to look further. It's boom or bust. The QB play is erratic. Far too many costly turnovers, fueling blowout losses. No pocket presence. Poor passing mechanics. Inability to move the offense consistently for more than a quarter or two a game. No ability to improvise when a play breaks down. Terrible lateral speed when scrambling. No poise in the pocket or out of it. Traditional option game is poor and read option heyday peaked 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to attack the player, just point out what we all see on the field. A 4th year starting senior QB did not get it done for us.

I don't understand why this poor QB play is getting a pass. QB play is everything, just look at aTm who just played the best team in the last couple decades to within a TD on the strength of a Heisman QB and little else. aTm is an eight win team at best without Johnny Football, yet with him they played might Bama almost even.

Play Tommy Armstrong Jr. Alternate him with Martinez, We need to get ready for next year anyway. We are not winning any championships with the current QB, and we need to give defenses something else to worry about. Namely, a legitimate option football threat that helps us gut out tough yards and the long drives that we need. It will also make our run game far less predictable, opening up things for our RBs.

south parks examination of Mormonism is all it takes to answer this....

I think some pretty good points have been made here. Let's not forget though that for all the criticisms, Taylor has shown up, I mean really shown up, in a number of big games throughout his career against good competition.

I'm inclined to agree, because I've always questioned the actual value of making use of Taylor's gamebreaking ability. Which is there, still. Guy rushed for 1000 yards and 10 TDs last year. I'd say the every play, pre-snap, in pocket, directing the troops on the field stuff is more important overall- especially because you take away Taylor's running and we still have a plethora of very dynamic, athletic playmakers to get the ball to. At this he's improved but I wouldn't say he's in the elite categories, and meanwhile, maddeningly, his running seems to be making less and less impact even when he rolls up the yards. And there are days like today where he doesn't.

But then I come back to games like he had against Ohio State (the one we won). I think I'd like to see how he cements his legacy this year.