The Elephant in the Room: Poor QB Play!

I was at the game and have to admit, Taylor looks even worse in person. I've never seen a guy look so lost and so uncomfortable out there. You could see times when Beck was calling short quick easy routes just to get Taylor in a rhythm. Taylor never ever found the rhythm. Yes, the offensive line sucks, so I don't want to hear any more of this pipeline bullsh#t, but still, there were plays called that should have been simple. I don't mean those backfield passes we ran all day long either. There were short ins, and quick slants, receivers open if the ball was just delivered on time. Taylor doesn't have the footwork or the presence to understand timing. IMO there is no reason Taylor should be playing 100% of the remaining games. Tommy Armstrong should be moved into playing time and eventually take the starting position in the next 2-3 games.

I would much rather RKIII take over than an untested freshman.

really someone that will be gone in 4 months?..........just to start all over again next year? Not me.......some of the best QBs we have had were untested freshman and sophs that got the call over vets that weren't cutting it and they have went down as some of the best......bring on TA for me.......nothing to lose at this point.

Really. At least RKIII knows the playbook, knows the offense, the players, etc. Armstrong barely knows where his dorm room is right now. I would rather him sit on the bench for one more year to learn the offense to better his chances than to have him thrown to the wolves and fail miserably

Armstrong has been here for 15-16 months. He may not know the playbook as well as a 5th year senior, but I'm pretty sure he knows the great majority of it. I'm pretty sure he has probably met and shaken hands with Kenny and Jamal; maybe even spoken actual words to them, too.

And I would maybe contend Tommy knows the offense and playbook MORE than RKIII due to his abilities. The offense is predicated on some mobility by the QB (zone read, option, etc) and RKIII doesn't have that, so the amount of plays Beck can call with him in there is cut in half off the bat. Tommy has the entire offense at his disposal and may not know every single play, route, and motion for every single play, but there is still more available to him.

how do you know Armstrong would be better than Martinez? because he looked ok in garbage time against the worst team in the country that's right great proof

Who said "better than"??

Couldn't be worse because he looked good in garbage time. Some say the backup can't get playing time because he has "no experience". Some say the backup can't play because he get playing time "but it's against a garbage team". Make up your damn mind.

Through Martinez's Soph year we probably didn't have a better QB option. By the end of that year though, it was fairly obvious he didn't have "it", and I resigned myself to the fact he will never get us over the hump. That should have started to change the minute Tommy Armstrong Jr. stepped onto campus. Instead Bo stupidly locked in with TM, while TA took a shirt when he could have at a minimum gotten some valuable game experience. Now he has none, and we probably won't play him for that reason as it may give Bo his best chance to win the usual 9 games which seems to mean job security.

What TO figured out by the 80s was you get your most talented players on the field ASAP, especially young QBs that can run the option. That probably saved his job in 1981 when he turned to Turner Gill after a 1-2 start to the season. Gill had a rough first game, but turned in some stellar performances in sparking the team to run through the Big 8 a perfect 7-0. Unfortunately a weird nerve injury knocked Gill out of the last couple games including the Orange Bowl, which could have turned a 7-point loss to Clemson into a win that would have made NU the first team ever to win a national title with two losses. Gill was dominant by the time his final season rolled around in 83, but as we know TO did not quite have the defensive side of equation figured out well enough to win a title. TO kept with it though, and the culmination was with Tommy Frazier from 1992-95, the greatest run ever by a starting NU QB.

Yes Bo has also failed us on the defensive side of the ball. I can't fault those that want to focus blame there since that's why we hired them. However, those are about the only type of threads and comments I've seen. By far the biggest problem I saw on the field against UCLA was at QB, and we have seen it time and time again. That's also on Bo. Even he stated we could have been up by more at halftime, largely on the strength of what the defense did. Then, when the defense needed them most, the offense disappeared and we got rolled as a result as Mora knew just how to attack us.

As far as TM in the NFL, thanks for that one I needed a good ROFLMAO at this point.

Hey man, the 1980s and 1990s called you to tell you that it's not the 1980s or the 1990s anymore. Sure the option may have worked back then, but it certainly doesn't work in today's game, which is all about the spread.

The option can work in today's game saying it can't is pure bullsh#t. If we can't recruit the type of guys needed for a Oregon style spread offense we should change our scheme to reflect what we do have instead of forcing players who can't run the system.

Through Martinez's Soph year we probably didn't have a better QB option. By the end of that year though, it was fairly obvious he didn't have "it", and I resigned myself to the fact he will never get us over the hump. That should have started to change the minute Tommy Armstrong Jr. stepped onto campus. Instead Bo stupidly locked in with TM, while TA took a shirt when he could have at a minimum gotten some valuable game experience. Now he has none, and we probably won't play him for that reason as it may give Bo his best chance to win the usual 9 games which seems to mean job security.

What TO figured out by the 80s was you get your most talented players on the field ASAP, especially young QBs that can run the option. That probably saved his job in 1981 when he turned to Turner Gill after a 1-2 start to the season. Gill had a rough first game, but turned in some stellar performances in sparking the team to run through the Big 8 a perfect 7-0. Unfortunately a weird nerve injury knocked Gill out of the last couple games including the Orange Bowl, which could have turned a 7-point loss to Clemson into a win that would have made NU the first team ever to win a national title with two losses. Gill was dominant by the time his final season rolled around in 83, but as we know TO did not quite have the defensive side of equation figured out well enough to win a title. TO kept with it though, and the culmination was with Tommy Frazier from 1992-95, the greatest run ever by a starting NU QB.

Yes Bo has also failed us on the defensive side of the ball. I can't fault those that want to focus blame there since that's why we hired them. However, those are about the only type of threads and comments I've seen. By far the biggest problem I saw on the field against UCLA was at QB, and we have seen it time and time again. That's also on Bo. Even he stated we could have been up by more at halftime, largely on the strength of what the defense did. Then, when the defense needed them most, the offense disappeared and we got rolled as a result as Mora knew just how to attack us.

As far as TM in the NFL, thanks for that one I needed a good ROFLMAO at this point.

Hey man, the 1980s and 1990s called you to tell you that it's not the 1980s or the 1990s anymore. Sure the option may have worked back then, but it certainly doesn't work in today's game, which is all about the spread.

The option can work in today's game saying it can't is pure bullsh#t. If we can't recruit the type of guys needed for a Oregon style spread offense we should change our scheme to reflect what we do have instead of forcing players who can't run the system.

The option that you're thinking of is much different than the option. The option game today is spread and read option. That's what Oregon does. They don't line up in the I-formation and pitch it.

The option that you're thinking of is much different than the option. The option game today is spread and read option. That's what Oregon does. They don't line up in the I-formation and pitch it.

We should be copying Alabama's system. If you want to be the best learn from the best. The old style option can work even now and it worked in the 90s too when people were laughing about it.

Taylor is a safety playing QUARTERBACK. Plain and simple. As a four year starter, name another FBS QB, that has taken as many snaps as Taylor?. He should be one of the elite QB'S in FBS. But he is not. Its time to give Tommy or Johnny more snaps or it will be just another repeat of 2010, a quarterback with NO game experience.