The Elephant in the Room: Poor QB Play!

how do you know Armstrong would be better than Martinez? because he looked ok in garbage time against the worst team in the country that's right great proof

Who said "better than"??

Couldn't be worse because he looked good in garbage time. Some say the backup can't get playing time because he has "no experience". Some say the backup can't play because he get playing time "but it's against a garbage team". Make up your damn mind.

i'm all for getting Armstrong in the game when its out of reach like it was yesterday but to assume he is better than a Martinez because of him playing S. Miss and watching his high school tape is jumping to conclusions, the back up QB is always the most popular player after a loss but he's the back up for a reason

I would much rather RKIII take over than an untested freshman.

really someone that will be gone in 4 months?..........just to start all over again next year? Not me.......some of the best QBs we have had were untested freshman and sophs that got the call over vets that weren't cutting it and they have went down as some of the best......bring on TA for me.......nothing to lose at this point.

Really. At least RKIII knows the playbook, knows the offense, the players, etc. Armstrong barely knows where his dorm room is right now. I would rather him sit on the bench for one more year to learn the offense to better his chances than to have him thrown to the wolves and fail miserably

Armstrong has been here for 15-16 months. He may not know the playbook as well as a 5th year senior, but I'm pretty sure he knows the great majority of it. I'm pretty sure he has probably met and shaken hands with Kenny and Jamal; maybe even spoken actual words to them, too.

And I would maybe contend Tommy knows the offense and playbook MORE than RKIII due to his abilities. The offense is predicated on some mobility by the QB (zone read, option, etc) and RKIII doesn't have that, so the amount of plays Beck can call with him in there is cut in half off the bat. Tommy has the entire offense at his disposal and may not know every single play, route, and motion for every single play, but there is still more available to him.

This

What I don't like about these threads is that you're blaming the player who is doing the best that he can and not the coach who has perpetuated this for four years. Do you think the coach doesn't see all of this? Are we getting the best use from the players at any position?

I saw few if any threads when I started this geared towards calling for change at QB, and thank you for highlighting exactly why as that was the whole point of this thread. I just considered it a given that the coach is at fault here, since that is who decides to play. The point of this thread is no matter what a guy has done or how hard he has worked, if the result is woefully inadequate its time to try another approach.

This thread is not about attacking Martinez as at all. The Elephant in the Room is simply the fact that we are almost afraid to even talk about the horrid QB play for fear of being accused of such an attack. Thus we as good classy fans were tip toeing around the issue, big time.

All I care about is calling it how I see it and speculating on what could make it better which is every fan's right. If NU is 0-12 I am still a fan, that's not going to change. I am sick to death for the last several years of seeing such butt ugly QB play, as any fan being honest would agree!

Now I see some new Qb threads popping up, which I view as a good and healthy admission to finally make.

I like when new posters come in with exciting revelations.

Taylor is simply another wheel of the train. Thinking that benching him would have any positive effect is delusional.

Your QB is "simply another wheel of the train." The guy who touches the ball every play on offense (and quite carelessly at times) is no more important than any other position? I beg to differ there. QB play is easily the most important position, it sets the tone for the entire team's confidence level and it is impossible to play offense with QB play as shoddy as we saw for 2.5 quarters of the UCLA game, much less win.

As far as my post count, I am sure I have thousands at the former huskerpedia now huskermax, but I saw no reason to stay there due to the excessive attempts to censor posters, and who pays to use and Internet message board?

I like when new posters come in with exciting revelations.

Taylor is simply another wheel of the train. Thinking that benching him would have any positive effect is delusional.

Your QB is "simply another wheel of the train." The guy who touches the ball every play on offense (and quite carelessly at times) is no more important than any other position? I beg to differ there. QB play is easily the most important position, it sets the tone for the entire team's confidence level and it is impossible to play offense with QB play as shoddy as we saw for 2.5 quarters of the UCLA game, much less win.

As far as my post count, I am sure I have thousands at the former huskerpedia now huskermax, but I saw no reason to stay there due to the excessive attempts to censor posters, and who pays to use and Internet message board?

QB is a very important position, but at the center of everything is the line, both offensive and defensive. You can have an amazing QB, but if his line is crap, then he's going to look great for a while until the line ineptness gets him smoked.

Yesterday was the best day for T Mart, but with that being said look at the situations he was put in by the playcalls of Shawn Wat.. oops, I mean Beck...

QB is a very important position, but at the center of everything is the line, both offensive and defensive. You can have an amazing QB, but if his line is crap, then he's going to look great for a while until the line ineptness gets him smoked.

Your point is well taken, but a strong QB almost always makes the first guy miss, and frequently eludes 2-3 rushers to turn a bad play into something positive. Our guy simply has no such ability, but a good defense will get that type of pressure numerous time over the course of a game. You can't just curl up into a ball in those situations.

The case in point is look at our defense. We got pretty good pressure and coverage frequently, but we missed at least three tackles when Hundley (who is not all that quick) converted that long 3rd down scramble. We stop that, and its more than likely 21-3 at halftime.

Hundley is only a second year starter, but he has many times more pocket poise and elusiveness than TM. This is an innate ability which I believe you either have or you don't. Obviously if it came with experience we'd be having a much different post-UCLA conversation.