Where do we go from here?

mwj98

As my hangover has gotten better this morning, reality has set in. I honestly don't understand it.

I think we get too cute on offense. And I simply think the defense got tired. Too many 3 and outs.

We really need to figure out who we want to be as a team. We don't really have an identity. I'm not mad. Just disappointed. We have gone through so much as a program with Callahan, etc. we get who we wanted. And this is the product? We us? We don't just lose.....we get mashed!!

I love my huskers. I just don't like what we have become. Breaks my heart.

Honest question. What can we do to turn this around? I know folks are mad and upset. I really want to know we we gotta do. This can't continue.

GBR!!

Fishing, and when it is too cold for that, deer hunting. Better to put your Saturday happiness in your own hands them someone else's.

That is the absolute best post I have read on the forum this whole weekend. I congratulate your insight. Thank you. Silly me. I scheduled a rafting trip to Idaho on the Middle Fork of the Salmon on the bye weekend coming up - was afraid I would miss something Husker. That's what I get for planning ahead for sure. Should have been out there this weekend, would have never known the hurt.

Don't know, but I have been a Nebraska fan and supporter for over 40 years and I am ashamed to call myself a husker fan and am embarrased bu there performance. At about the 9:00 minute mark of the third quarter we had total collapse, Coaches and players are all responsable for this, Don't know if I am going to pay attention to our season or not, yesterdays game really turned me off. We should be better then this but we are not.

When we were up 21-3 with about 5 min. left, and the offense went into "protect mode" instead of going for the jugular, I got mad. I didn't think we'd get blown out like we did, but right there I said this game was going to come down to the wire. My friends thought I was nuts. How could i be angry, up 21-3 about to go into the half (of course they would prove my point on the next drive by scoring before going into the locker room).

Pelini's teams have ALWAYS lacked killer instinct. That is shocking considering his attitude and the way he coaches. It is a major disconnect that is always there. While we have the ability to come back on anyone, no lead of our own is ever safe with Pelini is coach. I believe it all comes down to that, and that is 100% coaching. This fact makes Pelini constantly throwing his players under the bus after games ("it's all their fault, you saw the game" is his constant refrain) particularly disheartening. Pitiful. Not becoming of Nebraska football.

Pelini is a good guy, and I think he wants the best for Nebraska, but he isn't capable of instilling the killer instinct, or making the necessary adjustments to function in games against high quality opponents. That's really the crux of it.

So where do we go from here? Hopefully to Scott Frosts doorstep with a bag full of money and a mea culpa. Because while he is inexperienced, we need to take a chance on a guy who can recruit, adjust a gameplan as needed and no doubt wants to be here. We are basically back to square one in 2004, IMO. Let's build this thing up right, and not use a big name rent-a-coach (Tressel, Mangino, etc.) who will be looking for the next big thing.

i think the course we are headed to is extremely painful. the entire body of work is not working from top to bottom. there are so many things going wrong it would be tough to know where and how to start other than to gut and hope 4th time is a charm cause i don't think there will be a 5th that is good. . i am beyond seriously concerned with the future of this program...staying along the analogy of the outdoors....we are where iowa is in pheasants(off 90% from 20 years ago), SE Kansas is with quail.(off 80% from 15 years ago) --so many things wrong in both places...there is not even a clear path out of this at this point. i think a lot of pain is coming...call me a POS fan...but after 40 years of not missing games on the radio in the deer stand, duck blindetc or being there live, season tix, family members who played there, i've earned the right to be deeply concerned. its a very hard reality.

When we were up 21-3 with about 5 min. left, and the offense went into "protect mode" instead of going for the jugular, I got mad. I didn't think we'd get blown out like we did, but right there I said this game was going to come down to the wire. My friends thought I was nuts. How could i be angry, up 21-3 about to go into the half (of course they would prove my point on the next drive by scoring before going into the locker room).

Pelini's teams have ALWAYS lacked killer instinct. That is shocking considering his attitude and the way he coaches. It is a major disconnect that is always there. While we have the ability to come back on anyone, no lead of our own is ever safe with Pelini is coach. I believe it all comes down to that, and that is 100% coaching. This fact makes Pelini constantly throwing his players under the bus after games ("it's all their fault, you saw the game" is his constant refrain) particularly disheartening. Pitiful. Not becoming of Nebraska football.

Pelini is a good guy, and I think he wants the best for Nebraska, but he isn't capable of instilling the killer instinct, or making the necessary adjustments to function in games against high quality opponents. That's really the crux of it.

So where do we go from here? Hopefully to Scott Frosts doorstep with a bag full of money and a mea culpa. Because while he is inexperienced, we need to take a chance on a guy who can recruit, adjust a gameplan as needed and no doubt wants to be here. We are basically back to square one in 2004, IMO. Let's build this thing up right, and not use a big name rent-a-coach (Tressel, Mangino, etc.) who will be looking for the next big thing.

I think you have a very good theory going on here. The killer instinct is not there.

I am not ready to fire BP, but if we loose 4 this year and have a couple more meltdowns than I am ready to look at other possibilities.

Tressel got fired otherwise he never would have left Ohio St.

Pelini's teams have ALWAYS lacked killer instinct.

Minute left to go in the half, 2 timeouts, a fast no-huddle offense... and we don't even make an attempt to score. That sums up the killer instinct this team has under Bo.

We ended up punting, and UCLA damn near got a long FG. That comes straight from the head coach.

He had ties to Ohio. If he came here, he would certainly be looking to advance his career from Nebraska, IMO.

Fishing, and when it is too cold for that, deer hunting. Better to put your Saturday happiness in your own hands them someone else's.

That is the absolute best post I have read on the forum this whole weekend. I congratulate your insight. Thank you. Silly me. I scheduled a rafting trip to Idaho on the Middle Fork of the Salmon on the bye weekend coming up - was afraid I would miss something Husker. That's what I get for planning ahead for sure. Should have been out there this weekend, would have never known the hurt.

no problem, you can still schedule for the NW and Michigan weekends!

He had ties to Ohio. If he came here, he would certainly be looking to advance his career from Nebraska, IMO.

So unless Urban leaves Tressel is not coaching Ohio St again. then again Ohio St may not want tressel back because that would mean a more conservative play style.

Don't know, but I have been a Nebraska fan and supporter for over 40 years and I am ashamed to call myself a husker fan and am embarrased bu there performance. At about the 9:00 minute mark of the third quarter we had total collapse, Coaches and players are all responsable for this, Don't know if I am going to pay attention to our season or not, yesterdays game really turned me off. We should be better then this but we are not.

You would not do well as a Kansas football fan :)

All I can say is, it is one game. Firing coaches during the season never works out and once the word is out, recruiting dips too. I would recommend trying not overstate the importance of a single game. You guys got to the BIG championship last year (can't explain what happened in that game), but being a top team in a 14 team conference shows all is not lost. Hopefully they learn from the experience. Until the season ends and the body of work is comprehensive, I would step away form the ledge...

You would not do well as a Kansas football fan :)

All I can say is, it is one game. Firing coaches during the season never works out and once the word is out, recruiting dips too. I would recommend trying not overstate the importance of a single game. You guys got to the BIG championship last year (can't explain what happened in that game), but being a top team in a 14 team conference shows all is not lost. Hopefully they learn from the experience. Until the season ends and the body of work is comprehensive, I would step away form the ledge...

I agree with what you say, wait and see but you would be the same way if KU lost 4 straight by 20 pts in bball.