NFL Openings

c-husker

It is pretty important that I make this point first:

THIS SPECULATION IS JUST THAT, AND IS BASED ON ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

OK. Here's what I'm wondering. With the NFL season winding down, it seems likely that there will be a near-record number of NFL head coaching jobs coming open. Should we be worried about Coach Callahan leaving? Even if he isn't in line for a head job (get your mind out of the gutter) new head coaches bring in new coordinators. There could be a hell of a lot of openings! I assume Coach C's financial situation is better in Lincoln than it would be as a coordinator in the NFL, but does anybody have thoughts about this?

i'll go one step further, and i'll expect formerfan to bounce in here and agree with me on this one: billy c. really hasn't proven that he's a head coach yet.

nebraska is hovering around the *.500 mark. not exactly resume material per se.

give him a few years. we start winning big xii and take a national championship, *then* i'd be worried about him heading to the NFL.

now this is the part were FF jumps in and does his song and dance. we all know the words and tune by heart, so get ready...

i'll go one step further, and i'll expect formerfan to bounce in here and agree with me on this one: billy c. really hasn't proven that he's a head coach yet.

nebraska is hovering around the *.500 mark. not exactly resume material per se.

give him a few years. we start winning big xii and take a national championship, *then* i'd be worried about him heading to the NFL.

now this is the part were FF jumps in and does his song and dance. we all know the words and tune by heart, so get ready...

:yeah

I almost fell out of my chair :blink:

:cheers

We shouldn't be worried at all. First, of all the things that SP has botched, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I am assuming he at least (at the very least) made dang sure each and everyone of these coaches from BC, Elmo, Blake, and Norvell wanted to be here......for a long time.

Also, we won't need imo to be worried about anyone of those I named to be leaving until we at least have a couple title years or at the very least get to the game. Even after that I have a solid feeling that BC and Elmo are LONG TERM hires and I hope so. NU has benefited time and time again because of the longevity and stability of our past coaching staff's.

my 2 cents,

Weasel

I honestly don't think Callahan has any desire to go back to the NFL at this point in his life. Let him build something here before we worry that he is leaving(in which case, I doubt he would). If Callahan keeps the train on the track moving forward, I can't see him leaving anytime soon.

i think Coach C. overdosed on egos at Oakland and isnt ready to jump back into that fire. I think he wants to coach players who arent payed millions and bitch and moan when the coach doesnt do things their way.

Plus I think Coach C. wants to teach and coach and do those things for a tradition rich college program. Nebraska is a home run in those accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that BC and Pete Carrol are pretty good friends. College gives you better job security and your kids the chance to grow up in a normal atmosphere with out a lot of travel and making new friends.

Most felt Pete was gone around here. But he just signed a new deal to keep him here at least another 5 years. BC is saying the same things Pete said when he first came to SoCal. I think we will keep our coach for as long as he is wanted. No need to comment FF we all know your song and dance. Chorus here.

After watching most of the games this year it appears we beat a pretty good team in Michigan. Talent wise we seem to be closer than I had thought. Or the coaching is better than FF thought. Most likely a little of both.

I think after next year we will truly know where BC is on a coaching level. Last year everyone wanted Cozgrove gone. Now he walks on water. Give it another year and I think most will be happy.

BC is here to stay. No worries. The Raiders gave him the real NFL taste and he did not like it.

I have heard that BC and Pete Carrol are pretty good friends. College gives you better job security and your kids the chance to grow up in a normal atmosphere with out a lot of travel and making new friends.

Most felt Pete was gone around here. But he just signed a new deal to keep him here at least another 5 years. BC is saying the same things Pete said when he first came to SoCal. I think we will keep our coach for as long as he is wanted. No need to comment FF we all know your song and dance. Chorus here.

After watching most of the games this year it appears we beat a pretty good team in Michigan. Talent wise we seem to be closer than I had thought. Or the coaching is better than FF thought. Most likely a little of both.

I think after next year we will truly know where BC is on a coaching level. Last year everyone wanted Cozgrove gone. Now he walks on water. Give it another year and I think most will be happy.

BC is here to stay. No worries. The Raiders gave him the real NFL taste and he did not like it.

I think BC stays, but someone at work told me Chris Mortenson mentioned that Callahan's name was mentioned with the MN Vikings opening. I say crap, but what do I know? If true, that will really suck for the entire program.

On a side note, the experts said we beat the "Best 7-5 team in the history of College Football!!!"

In coaching, a lot depends on whether the "hiring official" has a relationship with the persons under consideration. Couple that with the fact that head coaches in the NFL tend to be recycled. Put those two together and I think the likelihood of an offer for Callahan would be low.

And the Vikings? After what he went through with the Raiders, I would suspect that if he does get offered and accepts a NFL head coaching position, it will be with a team that isn't loaded with head cases...

After watching the games, it appears that Michigan lost to some very good teams in the final seconds of games. That is coaching decessions. Not talent.

We played down for down with a top 5 talented team. Our coaching seemed to be better.

I said this would be the toughest opponent we could have drawn. I think they are truly the best 7-5 team in the country and could have easily been playing in the Rose Bowl again this year. The talent is there for that. Matching talent with Michigan was something I did not feel we were capable of. I must admit I am very happy with the coaching and the ability to bring kids to a higher level than I thought they were capable of.

Again give it time. And do anything to keep this coach!!!!