Government Shutdown

This is your GOP, people.

It was your Democrats when they were out of power, that was the point of my post. There's nothing new under the sun in American politics and to pretend otherwise is either naivete or disingenuous partisan hackery.

Anyway a couple of new things today.

The White House and the Department of the Interior rejected a request from Rep. Steven Palazzo’s office to have World War II veterans visit the World War II memorial in Washington, the Mississippi Republican told The Daily Caller Tuesday.

Utterly disgraceful. The WWII monument is scenery not a building. They had to put up - and man - barricades to keep people out. Total political theater - the Memorial is open 24/7, regardless of whether it's staffed or not......unless the White House is trying to make things look as bad as possible, of course.

In other news, I'm guessing private Democratic polling on the shutdown isn't quite what Obama was hoping for.

What you are seeing is the government trying to PROVE how important it is that they are open and running.

Oh...but...those evil disgusting Republicans are the only ones who are playing politics with this.

It was your Democrats when they were out of power, that was the point of my post. There's nothing new under the sun in American politics and to pretend otherwise is either naivete or disingenuous partisan hackery.

The White House and the Department of the Interior rejected a request from Rep. Steven Palazzo’s office to have World War II veterans visit the World War II memorial in Washington, the Mississippi Republican told The Daily Caller Tuesday.

Utterly disgraceful. The WWII monument is scenery not a building. They had to put up - and man - barricades to keep people out. Total political theater - the Memorial is open 24/7, regardless of whether it's staffed or not......unless the White House is trying to make things look as bad as possible, of course.

In other news, I'm guessing private Democratic polling on the shutdown isn't quite what Obama was hoping for.

ghostbusters_02.gif

Funny, and quite telling, what institutions and organizations that the Republicans want to reopen. The VA, national parks, District of Columbia services... but not WIC or the CDC. You're all up in arms about Vets not getting to see a memorial. But babies that might not get necessary formula or vaccinations? Meh.

• Fire 2

Funny, and quite telling, what institutions and organizations that the Republicans want to reopen. The VA, national parks, District of Columbia services... but not WIC or the CDC. You're all up in arms about Vets not getting to see a memorial. But babies that might not get necessary formula or vaccinations? Meh.

Really???? If the government is shut down, wouldn't the monuments in the middle of a grassy area be left for who ever wants to walk by them to walk by them? If the government is shut down, how do they man the barricades to keep people from walking around them?

That's because babies should be able to pull themselves up by the bootstraps (boobstraps?).

• Fire 2

Really???? If the government is shut down, wouldn't the monuments in the middle of a grassy area be left for who ever wants to walk by them to walk by them? If the government is shut down, how do they man the barricades to keep people from walking around them?

Don't care. Not even a little. I don't give a flying crap about whether or not people get to see a monument when children might have to go without food.

• Fire 2

I'm not sure whether you missed my point deliberately or not. There was literally no reason to close the memorial. It's open 24/7, staffed or not, there's no additional expense in letting people wander in and out as they please. But no, the Administration wants to inconvenience as many people as it possibly can, so it goes to the extra expense to barricade off the memorials.

Fortunately, we have history to point to how ridiculous the Administration is being on this. From the shutdown during the Clinton years:

Tourists were free to wander the halls of the Capitol, touch the walls of the Vietnam Memorial and climb the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to read the Gettysburg Address - those and other similar sites don't require supervision by federal employees.

All of the sites that never closed during the 1990s shutdown are closed now. Say it with me: political. games.

I'm not sure whether you missed my point deliberately or not. There was literally no reason to close the memorial. It's open 24/7, staffed or not, there's no additional expense in letting people wander in and out as they please. But no, the Administration wants to inconvenience as many people as it possibly can, so it goes to the extra expense to barricade off the memorials.

Fortunately, we have history to point to how ridiculous the Administration is being on this. From the shutdown during the Clinton years:

Tourists were free to wander the halls of the Capitol, touch the walls of the Vietnam Memorial and climb the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to read the Gettysburg Address - those and other similar sites don't require supervision by federal employees.

All of the sites that never closed during the 1990s shutdown are closed now. Say it with me: political. games.

I didn't miss your point. I just think it is an irrelevant point given the people will actually suffer, not just be inconvenienced on vacation.

On the flipside of all of this, could you image the Wharbagal that the 'baggers would spew if these monuments were left open and unsupervised, and something happened to them (e.g. vandalism, theft)? There's a reason they were closed off.

Don't care. Not even a little. I don't give a flying crap about whether or not people get to see a monument when children might have to go without food.

I love how you ridicule one side for playing politics but don't care/support the other one for doing so.

Bias much?

I didn't miss your point. I just think it is an irrelevant point given the people will actually suffer, not just be inconvenienced on vacation.

But, yet...if the government does something that causes an American business to be less competitive and cause layoffs or go out of business......so what. Is the difference because those employees work for some evil private company?

Didn't the House reject a bill that would have specifically funded (and kept open) Federal monuments and national parks?

Or is that something that we just ignore because it gets in the way of Luke and BRB's herpaderp-a-thon trying to convince us that starving children and mothers are inconsequential?

This is the definition of a temper tantrum. I'm not getting what I want, so I'm going to go out of my way to ruin everyone else's day.

On the flipside of all of this, could you image the Wharbagal that the 'baggers would spew if these monuments were left open and unsupervised, and something happened to them (e.g. vandalism, theft)? There's a reason they were closed off.

Yes, there is a reason they were closed off: Obama thought he saw political benefit in it. All open air monuments are open 24/7, and only staffed for roughly 12 hours a day.

Didn't the House reject a bill that would have specifically funded (and kept open) Federal monuments and national parks?

Or is that something that we just ignore because it gets in the way of Luke and BRB's herpaderp-a-thon trying to convince us that starving children and mothers are inconsequential?

Dude, just stop:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Republican measure to keep national parks open during the U.S. government shutdown was rejected on Tuesday by Democrats in the House of Representatives.

Thanks for proving that you don't get the idiocy of this.

Let's spend money to keep everyone out when it wouldn't cost ANYTHING to allow people to simply walk basically down a sidewalk or on grass.

Yeah...let's keep playing politics.

This bickering is asinine. If you people won't stop digging deeper trenches around your party affiliation you will never ever see what's really going on here.

This country is playing Russian roulette with its economy for no other reason than party politics. And the electorate is supporting them.

This crap in this thread is exactly why we're in this mess. Just keep supporting your party forever, damn the consequences. No matter how far they stray from what you originally believed in, just vote R or D whenever you get to the polls, and BY GOD do not even think to question what they tell you - you might not like the answers you get.

• Fire 4