Government Shutdown

Abraham Lincoln in 1860:

Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events. This, plainly stated, is your language…

In that supposed event, you say, you will destroy the Union; and then, you say, the great crime of having destroyed it will be upon us! That is cool. A highwayman holds a pistol to my ear, and mutters through his teeth, "Stand and deliver, or I shall kill you, and then you will be a murderer!"

To be sure, what the robber demanded of me - my money - was my own; and I had a clear right to keep it; but it was no more my own than my vote is my own; and the threat of death to me, to extort my money, and the threat of destruction to the Union, to extort my vote, can scarcely be distinguished in principle….

Let us be diverted by none of those sophistical contrivances wherewith we are so industriously plied and belabored - contrivances such as groping for some middle ground between the right and the wrong...

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/cooper.htm

• Fire 1

I don't have much to say, but our elected officials are some of the most pig-headed, selfish pieces of sh#t. Let's shut the government down, begin the process of ruining people's lives while at the same time not caring because hey, we're not effected. All in the name of, "MOMMMMMM!! WE'RE NOT GETTING OUR WAY!!!!!"

F*ck politicians.

Both sides are at fault...

They could come to an agreement about this, but it appears that they won't. If the gov't shuts down, it doesn't affect them, so why should they care...

Both sides are not at fault. They simply aren't.

Bro, don't let the media get to you... They're going to get you all twisted up and pointing fingers...

So the Dems are supposed to cave on the ACA to appease the right? This is political terrorism by the house. "Nobody gets anything until we get what we want!"

Face it, the right has lost. The ACA has been voted into effect by Congress, upheld by the Supreme Court, re-voted on 40 times by the House and rejected continually by the Senate. We've had a presidential election since it was voted into law... The right has lost, and they refuse to admit it. So they are holding the government hostage. And you think "both sides are to blame" because.... why?

People love to drop the "well all politicians suck" and "blame both parties" lines because they either:

(A) Don't understand what is happening, which I don't think is you

(B) Want to come off as a moderate when they really aren't

© Recognize that their party has screwed the pooch, but want to somehow cast blame on the other party nonetheless.

+1

. . . A highwayman holds a pistol to my ear, and mutters through his teeth, "Stand and deliver, or I shall kill you, and then you will be a murderer!"

To be sure, what the robber demanded of me - my money - was my own; and I had a clear right to keep it; but it was no more my own than my vote is my own; and the threat of death to me, to extort my money, and the threat of destruction to the Union, to extort my vote, can scarcely be distinguished in principle….

. . ..

. . . and then the highwayman spat, "I propose a compromise. Give me half of your money instead of all of it."

• Fire 1

http://www.motherjon...ically-everyone

Here's a quick guide to who and what will be most affected:

Anyone who might get sick: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) would lack funding to support its annual flu vaccination program.

Military personnel: Barring last-minute congressional action, members of the armed forces would have their paychecks put on hold while they continue to work.

People who use boats: The Coast Guard will cut back on routine patrols and navigation assistance.

Civilian defense employees: 400,000 Department of Defense employees will be given unpaid vacations.

Family members of fallen soldiers: Death benefits for military families will be delayed.

Gun owners: During the 1990s shutdown, applications for gun permits were delayed due to furloughs at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

People traveling abroad: A shutdown would cause delays in the processing of passport applications.

Sick people: The National Institutes of Health will not admit new patients unless ordered by the director.

Factory workers: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will halt regular inspections.

Hikers: All 401 National Park Service sites will be closed.

People who make money off tourists: Shuttered national parks are bad news for the hotels, restaurants, and other attractions that feed off them.

Small business loan applicants: The Small Business Administration will furlough 62 percent of its workforce.

Oil and gas exploration: The Bureau of Land Management will stop processing permits for oil and gas drilling on federal lands.

Chemical site facility security: Funding for Department of Homeland Security regulatory program ends October 4.

@CuriosityRover: 98 percent of NASA's staff will be furloughed, and the agency's website and live-streams will go dark.

Renewable energy permits: The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management will stop all new offshore renewable-energy projects.

Disability payments: Although the VA will continue to provide medical care, disability payments may also be disrupted after a few weeks

Infectious disease surveillance: The CDC will be unable to track outbreaks and monitor infectious diseases at a local level.

People on food assistance: The USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) will stop making payments on October 1.

Food inspections: The Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration warned of "inability to investigate alleged violations" due to a lack of funding; food imports will also go unexpected.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission: The agency could furlough more than 92 percent of its employees next week, with much of the remaining staff handling inspections.

People without heat: If the shutdown persists, it could affect the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, which funds heating assistance programs.

People trying to pay taxes: The Internal Revenue Service will shutter its tax hotline, and stop processing tax payments.

Head Start: The child development program, already hammered by the effects of sequestration, will stop doling out new grants on October 1.

LOL...Mother Jones...LOL

You really linked a site that on the side talks about Zombie medicine has reached the US and "it's no joke".

Priceless.

This one? http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/09/zombie-apocalypse-drug-reaches-us-not-joke

or . . . this one? http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/26/first-cases-flesh-eating-drug-krokodil-surface-in-us/

Quite frankly, Mother Jones and Fox News are roughly comparable. Occasionally one or the other will get a big scoop . . . but mostly they're just echo chambers.

That said, Fox News viewers are more misinformed than those who watch no news at all. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/ :P

Everybody should care about the debt ceiling.

There appears to be no limit to the amount of real damage Republicans are willing to inflict on Americans, just because they can.

Yeah, life will go on and a lot of people for a long time are not going to be affected. We can weather many crises and withstand a lot of blows. Including deliberate ones levied by your friendly House speaker and friends.

Anyone celebrating this or looking forward to the coming debt ceiling issu clearly isn't concerned about the economic growth of this country.

• Fire 2

We're the only developed nation IN THE WORLD that doesn't offer guaranteed healthcare to its citizens. It is patently absurd that we didn't have universal healthcare decades ago.

Well you know, every life is precious, as long as it's in the womb. Once out, get a job and fend for yourself already.

The people doing this have no real reason to care about this. It's not going to affect their personal lives. And a year or three from now they'll blame the other side and their constituents will believe them, so it won't affect their re-elections.

Our government doesn't work and it's going to take a collapse or a revolution to change it.

• Fire 1