Government Shutdown

Really think the demands are reasonable here? This is a battle that's been fought so...many...times and lost.

I agree, its really getting old and its very predictable. The Right will continue to try to delay affordable care until they can get a sufficient voting block to kill it. They aren't trying to postpone it a year to get the financial house in order, that's a load of crap. They want to delay it just long enough so that the next time this fight rolls around they can say "we're going to delay and fight it again until the election because the American people deserve a say" and of course the GOP will gain seats in '14 because its a midterm.

Ah, fun times in DC.

Two issues,

1 - The people had a say, and re-elected Obama. The right needs to accept the fact and get the F over it.

2 - History says the next election will not be favorable, it wasn't for the right 17 years ago.

I think we're in agreement. I'm not saying that I agree with the strategy or that I want the GOP to win seats next year it's just what I possibly happening.

I think that if voters hated affordable care as much as the Right likes to say they do we would have seen different results at the polls. As far as the GOP gaining seats it's just typical to see in an election without the coattail effect but like you said, it could swing the other way, we'll see.

After this, no way the GOP gains seats. The GOP is headed for a massive decline in the next 30 years. This country is passing the general republican value/belief/philosophy set by, and instead of adapting they are resorting to extremism. Instead of compromise they are acting like angry teenagers, running up to their room and slamming the door, quitting on their constituents and quitting on the country. I don't see the GOP doing well at midterm

After this, no way the GOP gains seats. The GOP is headed for a massive decline in the next 30 years. This country is passing the general republican value/belief/philosophy set by, and instead of adapting they are resorting to extremism. Instead of compromise they are acting like angry teenagers, running up to their room and slamming the door, quitting on their constituents and quitting on the country. I don't see the GOP doing well at midterm

In large part it's a byproduct of all the cozy districts state governments gerrymandered. The primaries are where the winners are decided and primary voters are often batsh#t crazy. Guaranteed House seat but the GOP is going to get drilled in national elections. It's weird how the Senate has ended up being more representative than the House of Representatives.

The best Gerrymandering ever is Austin, Texas, a really liberal city. If you look at a map it doesn't look ridiculous like some of the meandering jagged-edged districts that you always see. However Texas basically drew the district to split up Austin into 4 parts and extend each part to a huge surrounding rural area in order to dilute the liberal pieces of Austin with all of the conservative rural countryside. Totally eliminating a liberal representation from Austin.

And here's the effect of that exquisite gerrymandering

9mGHCX4.png

Fewer swing districts, and thus, fewer representatives that have to take moderate positions that actually serve the interest of all their constituents. Throw in terrible decisions like citizens united that have effectively allowed plutocrats like the Koch brothers to bankroll elections, and here we have a completely dysfunctional congress of radicals that don't answer to anyone besides their reelection coffer.

And here's the effect of that exquisite gerrymandering

9mGHCX4.png

Fewer swing districts, and thus, fewer representatives that have to take moderate positions that actually serve the interest of all their constituents. Throw in terrible decisions like citizens united that have effectively allowed plutocrats like the Koch brothers to bankroll elections, and here we have a completely dysfunctional congress of radicals that don't answer to anyone besides their reelection coffer.

That right there tells a huge story. No wonder so many in Congress act like idiots.

Both sides are at fault...

They could come to an agreement about this, but it appears that they won't. If the gov't shuts down, it doesn't affect them, so why should they care...

Both sides are not at fault. They simply aren't.

Bro, don't let the media get to you... They're going to get you all twisted up and pointing fingers...

• Fire 3

Both sides are at fault...

They could come to an agreement about this, but it appears that they won't. If the gov't shuts down, it doesn't affect them, so why should they care...

Both sides are not at fault. They simply aren't.

Bro, don't let the media get to you... They're going to get you all twisted up and pointing fingers...

So the Dems are supposed to cave on the ACA to appease the right? This is political terrorism by the house. "Nobody gets anything until we get what we want!"

Face it, the right has lost. The ACA has been voted into effect by Congress, upheld by the Supreme Court, re-voted on 40 times by the House and rejected continually by the Senate. We've had a presidential election since it was voted into law... The right has lost, and they refuse to admit it. So they are holding the government hostage. And you think "both sides are to blame" because.... why?

People love to drop the "well all politicians suck" and "blame both parties" lines because they either:

(A) Don't understand what is happening, which I don't think is you

(B) Want to come off as a moderate when they really aren't

© Recognize that their party has screwed the pooch, but want to somehow cast blame on the other party nonetheless.

• Fire 4