Crop Insurance vs. Food Stamps (Farm Bill)

Got to hand it to Kaliff Farms in York, raking in double what any weeny Iowa corn farmers managed.

A buddy of mine was telling me that Kaliffs bought a quarter of ground they wanted from this old guy because they owned the other 3 quarters on the section. They told the guy to name is price and they will pay it. I guess the old man shot them a price of $9500/acre and Kaliff wrote him a check right there on the spot. Told the guy he didn't need to wait on it, go ahead and cash it that day if he wanted.

Got to hand it to Kaliff Farms in York, raking in double what any weeny Iowa corn farmers managed.

A buddy of mine was telling me that Kaliffs bought a quarter of ground they wanted from this old guy because they owned the other 3 quarters on the section. They told the guy to name is price and they will pay it. I guess the old man shot them a price of $9500/acre and Kaliff wrote him a check right there on the spot. Told the guy he didn't need to wait on it, go ahead and cash it that day if he wanted.

Only $9,500 an acre? Hard to say without knowing more about the ground . . . but that probably falls about middle of the road for dryland where I grew up.

If someone told me to name my price I'd ask for a lot more than that. :)

Only $9,500 an acre? Hard to say without knowing more about the ground . . . but that probably falls about middle of the road for dryland where I grew up.

For irrigated here in Nebraska, that is a pretty good price. A quarter of ground is about 180 acres.

For irrigated here in Nebraska, that is a pretty good price. A quarter of ground is about 180 acres.

Irrigated in York County has gone for over $15K an acre recently. I believe $16.5K in Hamilton. $9500 an acre would be around a million dollars less for a quarter. I'd say they got a good deal.

Irrigated in York County has gone for over $15K an acre recently. I believe $16.5K in Hamilton. $9500 an acre would be around a million dollars less for a quarter. I'd say they got a good deal.

I live south of York and haven't heard about that. The most that I have heard is $13k an acre but everything else has been around $9-10k an acre. My buddy that I referred to earlier sprays fields for a living and he said that prices were creeping up but not to the tune of that much. He is the one that told me about the 13k an acre and that was by Benedict I believe. Either way, it's alot of money.