Nebraska's Chance Against Our Schedule

You are right and 100 out of 100 HS or College Coaches you would ask about this are wrong, you win

I totally get why these college coaches get so frustrated with "fans" poor fellas. Like telling a 5 year old not to touch a hot stove, yet they continue to do so and tell you they like it LOL Pointless

Are you trying to tell us youve coached at the high school or college level? I think I gathered that from your mentioning coaching every post. Good lord, I dont give two oompa loompas what the book you bought at the dime store says. You could have a signed copy of Bear Bryants playbook. If the players do not reaxt properly to a play designed to fool them. Yards will be gained. The pressure doesnt matter. The prevent doesnt matter. What matters is if the players react properly to a play rhey werent ready for. Im not talking formations and schemes. Black and White. Delayed/Improper reaction to tricky play MAY end in big yardage. Verbatim. Even if you and your coach friends drew it up different. Man alive, why didnt Bo hire youas DC? Obviously you know more than JP himself. Or are you John Papuchis?

You dont get it

That isnt how things are done in College football or even High SChool football- or even little league football

In college, You have indy time, group time, team time, strength and conditioning, film- again in group and maybe again in team. Some then have to be with the trainers, then study hall and the meal together. There simply isnt enough time to prepare for every "trick" play out there. Heck in Tom Osbornes first book he said that they didnt even have enough time to EVER run the triple option- most dont realize NU was always a double option, never a triple option team. There are 100s of trick plays, and they are run very infrequently. Defensive Coaches dont have the time to rep against the myriad of trick plays out there. In real life college football you prep against the other teams best 12-15 plays and when I say prep, they do defensive recognition reps then some scout reps. The basic SCHEME has base alighment, assignment and tech rules that account for stopping most offenses. This includes base reads, secondary or "cross" reads, coverage and run fits. Those things dont change much based on the type of play someone is running, That is the beauty of a well designed scheme, by rule you defend some things really well, others not so well. You make adjustments based on formations or tendancies to flip what you do well with not so well- you get the picture.

There is absolutely NO CHANCE the defense spends much time at all repping against "trick" plays UNLESS a team has consistently used that play in real games. DO you think teams playing Bill Callahans teams repped against all 500 plays in his playbook? No they didnt, there simply ISNT ENOUGH TIME.

They repped against zone runs, stretch runs, his toss play with trips to one side, his base West Coast offense plays, Mesh, Smash etc and his constraint Play Action plays. They used their defensive RULES and SCHEME to cover the rest.

Again teams THAT SLOW PLAY READ AND REACT DEFENSES RARELY GET WHACKED BY TRICK PLAYS, that is the type of defense NU runs. Teams that run aggressive defenses which are MUCH more suseptible to "trick" plays.

That is philisophically and logically correct and what happens in real life college football. These trick play type of comments are usually reserved for the 11 year old youth football kid who has played for 2 years and is drawing plays for himself or the 25 year old gal that sits behind me who knows a few buzz words and had a bunch of luck running double reverses on her sorority powder puff flag football team. Coaches dont think that way, I guarantee it.

Friends, nah, aleady have enough of those, have to respect your friends and they know the game well enough for us to have reasonable conversations about it. No hard feelings, and yes you did disagree with me. I dont really need to go back and show where you did.

Im gonna assume you are a coach. And at some point in time your defense got burned by a trick play. That is the only logical reason there can be for you taking such offense to my opinion.

Instead of trying to prove to the internet how much you and your friends know about the game of football, try and remember all I said is its possible to get burned on a trick play. Oh and because we waired for it to develop blah bla blah.........

I do not want to argue about formations. There simply must be a better thread for that. But please if I disagreed with your philosophy, accept my humble appology. I will not share my opinion of trickeration again.

Didnt take offense at your opinion

Doesnt mean people that have never played or coached cant have an opinion, but that many times if you havent played in HS or College, or coached, you dont have a complete understanding with all the facts.

You didnt just say you can be burned by trick plays- cmon, do I really have to share all of your quotes again, really? complete revision

I Just showed why it made absolutley no sense, logically, philosophically and in real life with real teams and why 100 of 100 HS or College coaches when asked the same question would agree with me, guaranteed

This was a thread I was trying to add value to, by sharing knowledge. Some come here to vent, have fun, some want to learn more about the game or team.

I think what it did prove to me is why guys like Pelini get frustrated by the casual fan who thinks the game is so simple

Again, like the guy with the toilet paper stuck to his shoe- you tell the guy, you dont let him run all over the restaurant with it on- it was that blatant, trust me on that one- not a tomatoes, tomAAtoes thing

If you want to say you put the toilet paper on the shoe on purpose and like it- go ahead I guess.

Carry on, finished

I think Pelini is probably more frustrated with the fans who call for his head after every game, I dont fall into that category. Seriously. Never said coaching was easy. Think Ive reitterated that my opinion was simply that of my own. Im sure 100 out of 100 coaches would agree with that. Didnt try pushing it on anyone or anything like that. Your taking this the wrong way. I just feel that you are wrong about the fact that there is no such thing as a trick play that could be run against a wait and see defense. Not saying coaches need to practice against it. Just saying coaches come up with new designs all the time. Or maybe they dont. Ask one of the 100.

I just feel that you are wrong about the fact that there is no such thing as a trick play that could be run against a wait and see defense. =

Do I really have to post what you really said and expose your football ignorance all over again? That isnt what you said at all- or what I said

Keep beating a dead horse, the battle was fought and lost many many posts ago no matter how your revision is being twisted

Move on, grow up

Oh, I agree. I wish we'd bring more heat. A lot more heat.

But pertaining to the awesome argument at hand, we play pretty 'read and react'. A good example of getting burned was that particular play.

I was saying when a defense is selling out to the ball one way or the other, those plays can happen more often. I like Bo's philosophy of making teams run (hopefully) 9-12 plays to score rather than giving up HUGE chunks over the top a lot.

But it goes both ways, if a defense blitzes at great times, it has rewards. If an offense runs "trick" or misdirection plays at the right time it burns a defense.

I think Bo constantly harping "execution" means:

We don't need a TFL or a sack or some crazy blitz every 3rd play, because--if executed properly--our defense forces offenses to play pretty mistake free football. Which is hard to do drive after drive.

Which is why I think mobile QBs give us suc trouble. We can play our D very very well--but a mobile QB "keeps plays alive" outside our Defensive box and can gash us.

I'd like to see pressure when pressure isn't expected like 1st and 2nd down to force teams out of THEIR box.

I think you're right. Unfortunately, to execute it properly and force offenses to play mistake free football, our defense must basically play mistake free football...and we have what is possibly the most undisciplined and mistake-prone team in Div. I college football. That's a recipe for disaster...after disaster...after disaster.

I bet jmfb keeps a chart of internet victories next to his playbook.

Our Defense is a long way from mistake free football. Overall though it seems like the drive and the passion is there to get better. Id be surprised if this unit doesnt look really good by the end of the season. Next year could be pretty special with our defense, not to mention knowing what we know now about our next QB and already deep RB/WRunits.

I bet jmfb keeps a chart of internet victories next to his playbook.

Our Defense is a long way from mistake free football. Overall though it seems like the drive and the passion is there to get better. Id be surprised if this unit doesnt look really good by the end of the season. Next year could be pretty special with our defense, not to mention knowing what we know now about our next QB and already deep RB/WRunits.

I hope you're right. I have no confidence in this staff right now. I think they could coach the defense from the 1985 Chicago Bears playing a Big Ten schedule to 4 losses and a couple of blowouts where the defense gives up 500+ yards. Then after the games, Bo would freak out at Mike Singletary, Richard Dent, etc. about how it was all their fault because they weren't executing.

The bend but don't break defensive scheme Bo runs is won or lost by the DL because they read and react rather than push up the middle causing a pile. When you have athletes the calibur or Suh or Dorsey, it is very effective. When you don't, you have what we've had the past couple of years. A DL has to be a physical specimen to be able to read and react while being blocked by one or two players. I don't have a problem with the scheme, but I do have a problem with the recruiting. Why have a plethra of RB's and QB's on scholly rather than a plethra of DL on scholly when the entire effectiveness of the defense depends on DL.

• Fire 1
The bend but don't break defensive scheme Bo runs is won or lost by the DL because they read and react rather than push up the middle causing a pile. When you have athletes the calibur or Suh or Dorsey, it is very effective. When you don't, you have what we've had the past couple of years. A DL has to be a physical specimen to be able to read and react while being blocked by one or two players. I don't have a problem with the scheme, but I do have a problem with the recruiting. Why have a plethra of RB's and QB's on scholly rather than a plethra of DL on scholly when the entire effectiveness of the defense depends on DL.

I agree. But I think were finally getting there recruiting wise. His gameplan is solid but yeah, Suh made that system work. Get out to SEC contry and offer 2 or 3 seniors who play well together a chance to make the Blackshirts great. Chemistry would go a long way to making his system run smoothly. Get a couple guys who already .esh well or play a similar system from SEC land and we would be back in business.

I agree. But I think were finally getting there recruiting wise. His gameplan is solid but yeah, Suh made that system work. Get out to SEC contry and offer 2 or 3 seniors who play well together a chance to make the Blackshirts great. Chemistry would go a long way to making his system run smoothly. Get a couple guys who already .esh well or play a similar system from SEC land and we would be back in business.

No one is playing Bos defense at the HS level- HS kids have less practice time, they dont play year round, many have no spring ball, they play other sports, many of the best ones play both ways- NO CHANCE they have the time or maturity to runs Bos defense. This isnt a 4-3 under defense with 100s of manuals and clinics- most HS coaches wouldnt have a clue how to run this defense.

No chance you get 3 kids all on the same team all 3 stars and above, all seniors, all from SEC country to head together to play north at NU, all of those factors an absolute impossibility

That has to be one of the silliest things Ive ever heard, you would have better chance of saying hey just find a couple of Big Foots and try and get them eligible LOL

No one is playing Bos defense at the HS level- HS kids have less practice time, they dont play year round, many have no spring ball, they play other sports, many of the best ones play both ways- NO CHANCE they have the time or maturity to runs Bos defense. This isnt a 4-3 under defense with 100s of manuals and clinics- most HS coaches wouldnt have a clue how to run this defense.

No chance you get 3 kids all on the same team all 3 stars and above, all seniors, all from SEC country to head together to play north at NU, all of those factors an absolute impossibility

That has to be one of the silliest things Ive ever heard, you would have better chance of saying hey just find a couple of Big Foots and try and get them eligible LOL

Do you just wake up in the morning and go "Who can I annoy today!" Seriously man, I dont want to be your rival, Im not going to be your Iowa. Someone who deals in absolutes like you do should be more into science than football. Please quit telling me what is/isnt possible. Its football. On no page of any of your books does it say the most important rule of football. There are no garauntees.