Listen to this....

True2tRA

This is very common in the NFL, College and even HS ranks these days

The tackling is limited to form drills and then "thud" where the defenders just take a shoulder into the ballcarrier, but dont wrap up or take to the ground

The goal is limit injuries and it also increases the number of reps you can do because you arent piling, unpiling etc

NU isnt alone at not tackling to the ground- not saying it is right or wrong, it's just NU isnt out in left field on this, very common

I don't know where to find it specifically but I don't think the rules state that jmfb? NFL is pretty much all no contact yes, but NCAA I had the understanding that teams were,allowed full contact practices,twice a week. That was not limited to just drills. I believe this radio guy even mentions Ohio St. has something called bloody Tuesday or whatever the hell he said, but it was basically full contact hitting in practice. IMO these guys should be taking hits during the week to be physically ready on Gameday. This explains a lot about the team shying away from contact, missed tackles, poor conditioning, and overall softness. Just the fact that a Blackshirt defense has been called soft so many times this year should really sting these players. Also, if Gregory and cooper believe the team,would benefit from tackling in practice, have they not had the ball to,tell the coaches so?

Manipulating sound bites? I didn't hear any manipulated Daily Show-esc sound bites, I heard coaches admitting we don't have Callahans recruits anymore which anyone can see, when they were gone, we were done. Pelini had the luxury of not recruiting the players that made him look like a genius at Nebraska, OU and LSU and it's glaring. Glen Dorsey and Mr. Suh were what made Pelini look like a guru just like the way he used Demorrio Williams in a way that made him seem like he "got it" that is until the traditional Pelini blowouts.

I gained more respect for Pap and Bo for actually admitting they can't recruit, why Bo hasn't fired the strength and conditioning staff and added a decent recruiter to his staff is beyond me. He knows what got him hired, Dorsey.

Longjevity on the radio or the internet doesnt always equate to knowledge

It can be a function of the medium, the audience and the motivation of the person in question.

IMO this guy knows very little about the game or coaching

While I do share his opinion that SOME full speed take to the ground tackling is something this team probably needs

As much for getting better at tacklling as it is to taking proper angles

When you play THUD, you have to slow down a bit as you approach impact, otherwise you knock the ballcarrier off his feet, which they dont want you to do

In defense of the staff: Thud is nothing new- at all, been very common in College football since late 70s, early 80s

As to scheme: Ive been told that if you cant explain your scheme to a neophyte, you dont know it well enough to teach it to an adult football player

The not tackling in practice doesn't bother me as much as the obvious confusion in the staff. Like the player stated you learn to tackle in Midget, peewee, pop warner whatever and if you have a sound recruiter he can spot if a guy knows how to open field tackle off film and knows if the people he's tackling are talented or not. By the time you're on a roster at NU it's pretty evident you know how to tackle and if you don't, there's the problem right there but most of us knew this decades ago.

Randy Gregory said it best the other night. He said we've all been ballin since 7 years old. We all know how to tackle. Sure they need to work on it a bit, and they do, but to have to practice it like they still need taught how to do it is a stretch. They need to be working on other things in their limited time.

Now, when you send your kid to kindergarten, is it the teacher's responsibility to potty train them or are the kids already supposed to be potty trained so they can concentrate on other stuff.

Like a lot of problems with our D, tackling appears to me as more of a psychological problem. And again, the mentality just doesnt seem to be there. Bo has to get tapped into this.

• Fire 2

Then, listening to Papuchis try to explain the two gap scheme and they way it actually works in his scheme? Holy hell, no wonder we are all confused? The coaches, the fans, the players, they're all confused as hell lol.

Yeah but he was being manipulated and sound bit, listen to the ones telling you its the radio guys fault our staff sounds like they have their heads planted deep in rear. I thought it was painfully obvious years ago Pap doesnt belong anywhere near a Div 1 staff

Many people dont understand tackling

The "all you have to do is" guys most of the time either havent played the game- or most certainly didnt play in college or coach

Solving this defenses issues goes well beyond having them tackle live in practice

You tackle with your feet, your feet have to be in position to make contact close enough to allow you to drop your hips and roll your hips through contact

If your feet arent in position, you end up diving, lowering your head, arm tackling

How do you get your feet in proper position?

Part of it is scheme and reads

Part of it is pursuit angles

Part of it is speed AND body control

So NOT all of it is about full speed taking to the ground- lots of components to it before you finish the tackle off AND can be practiced without taking someone to the ground. Even taking to the ground portion can be broken down and repped without taking to the ground, see Alabama tackling into High Jump pit pads

I AM supportive of THIS team doing a little more of that in practice though

Understand why they may NOT have in seasons past when they had zero depth at LB

The last time I listened to a non coach tell me to have my players do more live tackling- that very day I had a player screw up his elbow and was casted that night, lost him for 6 weeks. He was the only kid I had that could play a certain position well and it really hurt my team. The net is: some live tackling - good, lots of live tackling when you have no depth- probably not so good.

Many people dont understand tackling

The "all you have to do is" guys most of the time either havent played the game- or most certainly didnt play in college or coach

Solving this defenses issues goes well beyond having them tackle live in practice

You tackle with your feet, your feet have to be in position to make contact close enough to allow you to drop your hips and roll your hips through contact

If your feet arent in position, you end up diving, lowering your head, arm tackling

How do you get your feet in proper position?

Part of it is scheme and reads

Part of it is pursuit angles

Part of it is speed AND body control

So NOT all of it is about full speed taking to the ground- lots of components to it before you finish the tackle off AND can be practiced without taking someone to the ground. Even taking to the ground portion can be broken down and repped without taking to the ground, see Alabama tackling into High Jump pit pads

I AM supportive of THIS team doing a little more of that in practice though

Understand why they may NOT have in seasons past when they had zero depth at LB

The last time I listened to a non coach tell me to have my players do more live tackling- that very day I had a player screw up his elbow and was casted that night, lost him for 6 weeks. He was the only kid I had that could play a certain position well and it really hurt my team. The net is: some live tackling - good, lots of live tackling when you have no depth- probably not so good.

Well said, did very little live tackling during a game week . Maybe some during scout team work, but with a quick whistle.

The not tackling in practice doesn't bother me as much as the obvious confusion in the staff. Like the player stated you learn to tackle in Midget, peewee, pop warner whatever and if you have a sound recruiter he can spot if a guy knows how to open field tackle off film and knows if the people he's tackling are talented or not. By the time you're on a roster at NU it's pretty evident you know how to tackle and if you don't, there's the problem right there but most of us knew this decades ago.

We did?

We did?

The people that know what's wrong with the defense did, people that try and show how tough Pelinis schedules have been and did exactly opposite might not.

One day a week of tackling (not always to the ground) is about the norm. It just is and it has been for a very long time, you are either a good tackler or you are not, you really don't get all that much better at it. Most high school teams will tackle (again, not always to the ground) on Tuesdays and the rest of the week is about scheme and timing.

The general rule of thumb for the "back in the day" crowd is this...the farther back "your day" was, the more ridiculous your memory becomes. "We went live on Friday mornings...before school...even if we had a game that night at 7pm"

• Fire 1