Charles Jackson

And a less encouraging tweet....

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC 34s

Charles Jackson isn't sure how many game reps he'll get at safety. Said he has mostly been working with the 2s in practices. #Huskers

Or you could spin it in a more positive way:

Jon Nyatawa@JonNyatawa 12h

Story on C Jackson coming 2mrw. He's getting 2nd-team reps, much more than before. Game's slowing down for him. Hopes to get a shot Sat

One thing that this defense needs is a player maker at safety. CJax fits that role pretty well

Desperately. I thought HJ was really gonna be that guy. Not that he is isn't. He still has a shot, but so far not a lot of production. I've liked CJ ever since we recruited him. He just seems like a well rounded football player. He's skilled in almost all aspects. Especially the tackling aspect, which........ya you know.

Bo was quoted as saying CJ just isn't getting it all mentally yet.....then if course I caught sh#t for repeating what the coach said. Regardless, it looks to me like we have plenty of guys playing who aren't getting it all mentally, so damnit get this kid in there for a bit.

According to Bo Pelini, "understanding the system" is a hell of a lot more important than actually being able to tackle the guy in front of you. Charles Jackson should've gone to Oklahoma, he'd be getting a lot more playing time there

Lavonte David also didn't understand the system initially yet he was a big impact player fur us. Great tackler with excellent instincts. I remember Bo ragging on him to at times. I say give him an opportunity...... Bo can be so stubborn sometimes.

unfortunately safety requires more understanding than just being a great tackler with excellent instincts. Safety is the hardest position mentally on defense to play well, not just in BP defense, but in any defense.

For the love of God, let the kid start.

He apparently clobbered the 225-pound Imani Cross once in an offseason practice. Fired up the whole defense. As Jamal Turner put it: “I think everyone's been hit by Charles.”

Ain't seen a defender do that yet to Imani...if this kid can then there is 0 reason he hasn't seen more snaps..

He apparently clobbered the 225-pound Imani Cross once in an offseason practice. Fired up the whole defense. As Jamal Turner put it: “I think everyone's been hit by Charles.”

Ain't seen a defender do that yet to Imani...if this kid can then there is 0 reason he hasn't seen more snaps..

For sure! Playing every snap may be risky especially if he is still learning. However putting him in in certain situation maybe fifteen twenty snaps a game Jacks could definately make an impact. Couldnt really hurt the defense at this point to rotate and try different people.

What is the worst that could happen
if he messes up it's most likely a TD

^This is a good reason. Bo has said CJ freelances too much and he needs to earn the trust of his teammates by playing his assignment. To me, it sounds like he may be a big play guy, but in taking a risk to make the big play, blows his assignment and when he guesses wrong the defense pays. He might be a great athlete but needs to execute within the defense. It's like when Martinez would try to put the team on his back a make difficult passes that would lead to big plays or turnovers (high risk, high rewards). Safety is a position that if you guess wrong trying to make a big play, you easily give up a TD.

I am not so sure about starting, but at least give him a chance to prove himself on the field. If he proves he can handle the position then he will start. It's not like the competition is all that great.

This is not 2012 Illinois. Nathan Scheelhaase has the top QB ranking in the B10 with the most passing yards, an excellent completion percent (second only to Kenny Guiton), and second most TD passes (second again only to Guiton). The gameplan will most likely revolve around making the secondary a no-fly zone because as good as Illinois passing game has been this year, their run game is lacking. If CJ can help the team and communication well, then he should see the field, but don't be fooled in thinking Illinois will not come out trying to move the ball by testing our secondary early and often.

I am not so sure about starting, but at least give him a chance to prove himself on the field. If he proves he can handle the position then he will start. It's not like the competition is all that great.

This is not 2012 Illinois. Nathan Scheelhaase has the top QB ranking in the B10 with the most passing yards, an excellent completion percent (second only to Kenny Guiton), and second most TD passes (second again only to Guiton). The gameplan will most likely revolve around making the secondary a no-fly zone because as good as Illinois passing game has been this year, their run game is lacking. If CJ can help the team and communication well, then he should see the field, but don't be fooled in thinking Illinois will not come out trying to move the ball by testing our secondary early and often.

Sorry but I meant at the safety spot the competition isn't all that great

True, but this isn't the 2007 Illinois team with Juice Williams and Rashard Mendenhall either. We should beat this team by at least 2 scores (depending if Tim Beck goes full derp in play calling). They have a defense that struggles against the run, and everyone thinks they gave UDUB a tough game, but in all reality the game wasn't as close as the score indicates.

Sorry but I meant at the safety spot the competition isn't all that great

My bad. It would be good to see someone step up opposite to Cooper. Maybe even someone that can come down into the box to add QB pressure and run support. CJ has made some solid tackles, and if he can light-up Imani, on occassion, he should not have trouble with the Illinois RB.

True, but this isn't the 2007 Illinois team with Juice Williams and Rashard Mendenhall either. We should beat this team by at least 2 scores (depending if Tim Beck goes full derp in play calling). They have a defense that struggles against the run, and everyone thinks they gave UDUB a tough game, but in all reality the game wasn't as close as the score indicates.

Yeah. Their tackling is horrible, and that lets RB run for a bunch of extra yards after contact. Our run game vs their poor tackling is a match up I am looking forward to watching. And without a featured RB, like Mendenhall, or a mobile QB, I would think our defense could make something happen. But, Scheelhaase will still need to be kept off balance, which means adding extra pressure or making him force plays by keeping them off-schedule and not providing easy running lanes.

• Fire 1

Yeah. Their tackling is horrible, and that lets RB run for a bunch of extra yards after contact. Our run game vs their poor tackling is a match up I am looking forward to watching.

Bingo, brother.

+1