The Barry-cades were an order from the White House

http://twitchy.com/2...ar-ii-memorial/

That's right. These memorials, which need no normal staffing, were ordered closed be the White House.

The NPS maintains and protects the National World War II Memorial along with many other monuments and memorials across this country. They may seem like friendly tour-guides with funny uniforms but they're not, education is just a part of a Ranger's job. I don't know how it's is now as there is much more specialization, but in the 50s through 80s they were essentially LEOs with a public education sub mission. To say that the memorial needs no normal staffing is ridiculous. These monuments absolutely do need staff: the Rangers actively protect these areas and if you don't believe they need to be protected you're just mistaken.

Its anecdotal but my grandfather was a Ranger for more than thirty years at Mammoth Cave, Valley Forge, Death Valley, Coulee Dam, Mount Rushmore and Voyageurs. The stories he tells about the effort "visitors" will put forth in attempts to destroy or damage pieces of our National Heritage is depressing, and none of those places, aside from Rushmore, are nearly as iconic or important as the WWII memorial. If they really did leave that place wide open with no Rangers it would get torn the hell up.

If NPS personnel were declared non-essential or "furlough affected", which they should be, then it absolutely should be closed and they were right to put the barriers up. Sucks for the WWII vets but it is what it is...oh and "Barry-cades". An apt moniker. I can't believe the President vetoed the spending bill and sent us into shutdown. He's a real jerk.

• Fire 4

Show a modicum of concern for the WIC program and we'll talk.

I hope this shutdown is resolved before innocent people suffer undue hardship.

Do you consider people being forced to miss work and not get paid an undue hardship? I do, so too late for that.

I can't wave a wand and end the shutdown. If people are suffering because of Congress' dysfunction, that is unfortunate. I'm not sure what else you want from me.

How about not suggesting they do it again for the debt ceiling battle.

i love how when republicans are being asshats there is 'enough blame to go around'. as if that is an excuse. so you can just take the attitude, 'no need to hold my own party accountable, they are just as bad as the party i loathe.' but when conservatives think democrats are asshats, it is because they are incompetent and corrupt.

just look at obamacare. another example of democrats just being plain-ole incompetent, in the eyes of republicans. and republicans are just victims of chairman obama. the shortcomings are not because republicans failed to take any opportunity to try to reform the obviously and terrifyingly broken institution of healthcare. no, it was because obama jammed it through congress (even though it was accepted by the majority, which is how congress works and republicans had their chances for input).

so, republicans rather spend their time trying to sabotage the democratic, and twice democratically elected, president's legislation he signed into law. why? because the truth is that they are more afraid of ACA being successful than it hurting the nation. they know that they lack any sort of solutions to america's problems (other than war or tax-cuts), so they have to sabotage any idea out of the democrats camp because that is their only strategy; rather than trying to provide their own solution and have an honest debate. they know that they will lose a large chunk of the electorate if it is successful and they are unwilling or incapable of offering any alternatives.

and, frankly, they seem to hate the president more than they care about the nation.

i know this is a little off topic, but to blame obama for the consequences of the gov't shutdown is just absurd. that president should not have to compromise or negotiate with republicans to get them to do what they were elected to do, which is run this nation. obamacare is now a law. sorry charlie, thems the breaks. deal with it and stop being babies and holding this nation hostage.

edit: lest we forget;

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

Abraham Lincoln, Great Speeches

• Fire 1

obamacare is now a law. sorry charlie, thems the breaks. deal with it and stop being babies and holding this nation hostage.

And at one time the Fugitive Slave Act was the law. Should we go back and re-enact it? Just because something is the law, doesn't make it right.

Nothing against you personally, "it's the law of the land" talking point is absurd on its face.

obamacare is now a law. sorry charlie, thems the breaks. deal with it and stop being babies and holding this nation hostage.

And at one time the Fugitive Slave Act was the law. Should we go back and re-enact it? Just because something is the law, doesn't make it right.

lulz!!1!!!!!1!!

comparing a law that intends to provide health insurance to all americans to a law that forced slaves to be returned to the slave-owner. are you kidding me? but even so, if you want to overturn it, have a vote? you know, one more. what would that make it? 43 votes by the house to repeal it? yeah. so when democracy does not work, just blow up the system.

Nothing against you personally, "it's the law of the land" talking point is absurd on its face.

You know what else is absurd on its face? The fact that America is the only G8 country in the world without universal healthcare. Heck - we're just about the only first-world nation without universal healthcare.

As wealthy as this nation is, there is no excuse for this. None.

• Fire 3

i think you added this after i already responded to you. but, how is it absurd on its face? (is it more or less absurd than comparing a law providing and regulating health insurance to a law that forced the return of slaves to slave-owners? that is, truly, a debate for the ages).

so if a party does not like a law, they should just stop doing what they were elected to do? they should just stop the gov't if a law is enacted by the majority and signed into law by the president because they do not like it?

it is the law of the land and it was upheld by the supreme court. this is a democracy and that is how democracies work. if they do not like the law, fine. there are a lot of laws people do not like and a lot of laws that are travesties. but there are means to change laws. like, you know, the fugitive slave act, which was formally repealed by congress. or segregation, another law that may or may not be as odious and pernicious as providing healthcare to the american public, which was overturned by the supreme court. so those are two ways to repeal or overturn a law. republicans tried both and guess what... neither worked.

but being sore-losers and shutting down the gov't (having no affect on ACA, whatsoever) is not the means to overturn a law. why should the president have to negotiate to get republicans to do the jobs they were elected to do? which is to run the government. fortunately, the elected republicans hate government. so what do they care?

You were the one speaking like Osama bin Laden. Be more moderate.

See how that works?

Then you need to step down as a moderator, because you have completely let your bias interfere with your ability to effectively police this forum.

Me advocating a legislative strategy that has been indisputably used by both parties to great effect is the same as Osama bin Laden advocating suicide bombing? Absurd.

Sexual slurs and wishes of death against conservatives? Ignored.

I'm serious, you need to be done as a moderator in this forum.

• Fire 1

You were the one speaking like Osama bin Laden. Be more moderate.

See how that works?

Then you need to step down as a moderator, because you have completely let your bias interfere with your ability to effectively police this forum.

I'm serious, you need to be done as a moderator in this forum.

i disagree. and i am also serious.