TA Starting Per ESPN

I'd rather just have the D play more aggressive...blitz a ton and take some risks...

Which is what we were doing on Zenner's 40 yard TD run.

True....and when you have two d-lineman crashing the same gap...

There might be a problem as well. = )

Which is why most teams don't blitz a lot. It can be useful but it leaves you little margin for error.

I'd rather just have the D play more aggressive...blitz a ton and take some risks...

Which is what we were doing on Zenner's 40 yard TD run.

True....and when you have two d-lineman crashing the same gap...

There might be a problem as well. = )

"crashing" is maybe too big of a term. I'd say "prancing in the same gap"...

...our DL is about as effective @ penetrating a gap as a 15 year on prom night.

• Fire 1

Some absolutely bizarre quarterback names being thrown out in here.

Scott Frost being the model of what kind of qb we want??

Tommy Armstrong being halfway similar to Joe Ganz??

:confucius

Frost was an example of a QB that didn't have the ground speed like Martinez. We didn't need him to take it to the house and be this godly threat that struck fear across NCAA football . Nope... We had other players to do that. Take a guess what we won with Frost at the helm. That is what I am saying. We don't need it. We have 3 top notch backs and a hellish receiving corps. Have a guy that can take care of QB business FIRST then if opportunity arises be able to gain some yards with his feet. Hell with this QB has to be a ground threat junk.

Simplifying the playbook is awesome. Oregon runs about 15 plays, but runs them fast and to perfection and they all have very familiar looks, which keeps the defense off balance.

Honestly, I hope Tommy Armstrong becomes a less-quick, and less fumble-prone, Marcus Mariota. Great decision maker, great leader, understands football, plays his heart out. Distributes the ball, makes the right reads, and tucks it when he needs to.

On that note, if Taylor regained his running form from freshman year AND fixed his turnover issues, I'd more than welcome him with open arms to start again as I think his turnover issues are still-related to him forcing things.

A good article on what Oregon is doing http://fishduck.com/2012/10/oregon-surprises-asu-with-a-new-power-read-play/

I disagree on formations, Oregon likes to formation

Zack Darlington down at Apopka FL was getting pretty efficient at running some of Oregons "new" base plays- Power Read and Sweep Read- really puts the OLB in no mans land

Frost was an example of a QB that didn't have the ground speed like Martinez. We didn't need him to take it to the house and be this godly threat that struck fear across NCAA football . Nope... We had other players to do that. Take a guess what we won with Frost at the helm. That is what I am saying. We don't need it. We have 3 top notch backs and a hellish receiving corps. Have a guy that can take care of QB business FIRST then if opportunity arises be able to gain some yards with his feet. Hell with this QB has to be a ground threat junk.

What exactly do you mean by QB business? Because I am assuming that has something to do with throwing the ball, yeah? And then.....you use Scott Frost as your example.

I mean I think I see what you're getting at, but if we're talking about quarterback speed compared to Martinez, well, no quarterback in the history of the school has the ground-speed except Crouch, who did pretty well himself. Not to mention, even though Scott Frost didn't run a 4.3 40, he still was a 1,000 yard rusher.

We don't have to settle for a game-manager just because we have other players to make plays. We need a player who is smart, yes, and who will execute at a high level, yes, but there is plenty of room for him being a straight-up playmaker as well. No problem with that whatsoever.

With the way Tim Beck has engineered his offense it is imperitive that the QB be able to run and run well. We didn't go get a kid like TA to sit back in the pocket and sling it 50 times a game.

What exactly do you mean by QB business? Because I am assuming that has something to do with throwing the ball, yeah? And then.....you use Scott Frost as your example.

I mean I think I see what you're getting at, but if we're talking about quarterback speed compared to Martinez, well, no quarterback in the history of the school has the ground-speed except Crouch, who did pretty well himself. Not to mention, even though Scott Frost didn't run a 4.3 40, he still was a 1,000 yard rusher.

We don't have to settle for a game-manager just because we have other players to make plays. We need a player who is smart, yes, and who will execute at a high level, yes, but there is plenty of room for him being a straight-up playmaker as well. No problem with that whatsoever.

You may have to read back through the thread about the debate. Some people brought up and seem to think that a martinez/crouch type of player is what TA needs to be. I brought Frost up because he wasn't the home run ultras fast QB that everyone feared yet did well and won a NC. He didn't have to hit a home run on every play. He got what he could when he could get it with the speed he had.

You may have to read back through the thread about the debate. Some people brought up and seem to think that a martinez/crouch type of player is what TA needs to be. I brought Frost up because he wasn't the home run ultras fast QB that everyone feared yet did well and won a NC. He didn't have to hit a home run on every play. He got what he could when he could get it with the speed he had.

The only distinction I will make is that I want a quarterback that can hit the home run play, even if he doesn't have to. Crouch didn't win a national championship, but he played for one, and won a conference one as well, with a bit lesser of a supporting cast.

We dont' want Tommy to have to be like that, but we want Tommy to have the ability to be like that.

With the way Tim Beck has engineered his offense it is imperitive that the QB be able to run and run well. We didn't go get a kid like TA to sit back in the pocket and sling it 50 times a game.

Didn't say anything about sitting back in the pocket. Good lord people READ through the thread. I said he does not have to be lighting fast like Martinez. I never said he shouldn't or couldn't run either. I did say he does not need to be a home run hitter on the ground. He can still be a threat with 3-10 yard carries on designed plays or play breakdowns. But first and foremost manage and lead the offense.

The only distinction I will make is that I want a quarterback that can hit the home run play, even if he doesn't have to. Crouch didn't win a national championship, but he played for one, and won a conference one as well, with a bit lesser of a supporting cast.

We dont' want Tommy to have to be like that, but we want Tommy to have the ability to be like that.

You may want a QB that does that but if Tommy isn't the home run hitter (I think he will be) I believe he at least has enough to consistently keep the offense moving. That is all we need. That is enough of a threat. And that is my point. Martinez with all his speed and ability or offense stalls quite frequently. He can't get the ball to our play makers consistently. UCLA game.

Correct

The constraints we use to put the defense in conflict REQUIRE the QB to be a legitimate threat to carry the ball effectively

Doesnt have to hit for 50 yards every play, just be enough of a threat to go 10+ yards to force the defense to play how BECK wants them to play

Tommy doesnt need to be a home run hitter

He needs to hold onto the ball and be enough of a legitimate threat so Beck can run his offense- get other people the ball where the numbers dictate

Correct

The constraints we use to put the defense in conflict REQUIRE the QB to be a legitimate threat to carry the ball effectively

Doesnt have to hit for 50 yards every play, just be enough of a threat to go 10+ yards to force the defense to play how BECK wants them to play

Tommy doesnt need to be a home run hitter

He needs to hold onto the ball and be enough of a legitimate threat so Beck can run his offense- get other people the ball where the numbers dictate

Thank you jmfb. That is what I have been trying to say. With our talent, the holes will open up for TA to do at least that. I believe he will surprise us and do more. Even if a play breaks down he should be able to keep us moving. Again that is all we need.

game. Be careful what you wish for. Start the clock on the "future is now play Johnny"

Only two ways this works out well: if Martinez never gets healthy and doesn't play anymore or Martinez comes back soon, plays great and we win out for the regular season. Even the second option won't make some happy.

I dont think so

Most of those that want TA to get a shot- just want the team to play well, win games and play to full potential

If TM could do that and win out- I couldnt imagine anyone being uptight about that

But he hasnt really done that for the last 3+ years- so it's highly unlikely

I don't think so, based on all the comments on here. Perhaps they'd chance their tune but probably only if he played well in a conference championship vicotry - and I only said regular season. Which speaks to your second point - I said regular season which Martinez did play well and we did win out last year.

Little different deal

If we win out here and lose in the CCG- that means we would finish with 1 B1G loss and no more than 3 losses in total

Im guessing 95% of Husker fans including myself would call that a successful season- considering

NU didnt win out- in conference in 2012