TA Starting Per ESPN

Any word on how bad TM is injured?

It's turf toe. Nobody really knows a good timeline for recovery. Sometimes it lingers for weeks.

One reason among others I hate FieldTurf. Our Memorial stadium is spectacular except fake turf. Push natural grass right away!.....like next off-season.

Turf toe is named from the injury being associated with playing sports on rigid surfaces such as artificial turf and is a fairly common injury among professional football players. Often, the injury occurs when someone or something falls on the back of the calf while that leg's knee and tips of the toes are touching the ground. The toe is hyperextended and thus the joint is injured. Additionally, athletic shoes with very flexible soles combined with cleats that "grab" the turf will cause overextension of the big toe. This can occur on the lesser toes as well. This is a primary reason why many athletes prefer natural grass to turf, because it is softer

Artificial turf does not = FieldTurf which is a much softer surface.

Also, natural grass fields can get torn up in colder climates when the grass basically stops growing in October. Many people blamed RGIII's torn ACL to the terrible grass field in Washington.

So what is the narrative for the "future is now" Taylor haters gonna be if and when TA struggles and loses a game. Be careful what you wish for. Start the clock on the "future is now play Johnny"

I hate this because it's going to lead to unnecessary arguing over the success or lack thereof of a redshirt freshman. If he does well, it's going to still be in part because Illinois' defense isn't very good. He he makes some mistakes, we're going to have a recounting of all the mistakes Taylor has made.

Only two ways this works out well: if Martinez never gets healthy and doesn't play anymore or Martinez comes back soon, plays great and we win out for the regular season. Even the second option won't make some happy.

Any word on how bad TM is injured?

It's turf toe. Nobody really knows a good timeline for recovery. Sometimes it lingers for weeks.

One reason among others I hate FieldTurf. Our Memorial stadium is spectacular except fake turf. Push natural grass right away!.....like next off-season.

Turf toe is named from the injury being associated with playing sports on rigid surfaces such as artificial turf and is a fairly common injury among professional football players. Often, the injury occurs when someone or something falls on the back of the calf while that leg's knee and tips of the toes are touching the ground. The toe is hyperextended and thus the joint is injured. Additionally, athletic shoes with very flexible soles combined with cleats that "grab" the turf will cause overextension of the big toe. This can occur on the lesser toes as well. This is a primary reason why many athletes prefer natural grass to turf, because it is softer

I think thatis regarding the old turf, not the new iterations. The new FieldTurf actually minimizes injuries to feet, ankles, knees, etc.

Could be but click on link below. Next find and click on "artificial turf" within "Causes" paragraph. It shows FieldTurf (or competitor product)

http://en.wikipedia....al_joint_sprain

game. Be careful what you wish for. Start the clock on the "future is now play Johnny"

Only two ways this works out well: if Martinez never gets healthy and doesn't play anymore or Martinez comes back soon, plays great and we win out for the regular season. Even the second option won't make some happy.

I dont think so

Most of those that want TA to get a shot- just want the team to play well, win games and play to full potential

If TM could do that and win out- I couldnt imagine anyone being uptight about that

But he hasnt really done that for the last 3+ years- so it's highly unlikely

Enjoy the TA starts while they happen this year. Once Taylor gets back to 100% he'll be the backup again. The future is not now.

Well now, that would all depend on how Tommy plays these next couple games now wouldnt it?

I suspect that regardless of how well Tommy plays (or RKIII for that matter), when and if Taylor Martinez is truly 100% he will be the starter. I'd imagine he'd have a much shorter leash than he has in the past, but Bo seems to be of that school that you don't lose your starting position due to injury.

Now, having said that, I do wonder about a couple of things. I've read from others that the coaches may be a bit miffed that Taylor hid the extent of his injury and they are mandating the 100% benchmark pretty hard. Also, I really wonder if he can be 100% back from turf toe this season. That might be a bit of an "out" for the coaches to continue to start TA.

I don't think they'll do the two series and two series swap between TA and RKIII. I think Tommy will play and continue to play the first half as long as he's looking good. RKIII will get playing time if TA struggles, or perhaps at the end of the first half or sometime in the second half. Don't think it'll be an even split like SDSU.

Some absolutely bizarre quarterback names being thrown out in here.

Scott Frost being the model of what kind of qb we want??

Tommy Armstrong being halfway similar to Joe Ganz??

:confucius

You don't think TA can throw the ball and distribute it well? Make good decisions? Manage a game by utilizing our playmakers? That's what he just did last week. He's no Ganz, but he's got a lot of qualities I liked in Ganz. I could see him being a 65% passer who doesn't have to run for 140 yards to win us football games. That puts him a hell of a lot closer to Ganz than Taylor.

game. Be careful what you wish for. Start the clock on the "future is now play Johnny"

I dont think so

Most of those that want TA to get a shot- just want the team to play well, win games and play to full potential

If TM could do that and win out- I couldnt imagine anyone being uptight about that

I don't think so, based on all the comments on here. Perhaps they'd chance their tune but probably only if he played well in a conference championship vicotry - and I only said regular season. Which speaks to your second point - I said regular season which Martinez did play well and we did win out last year.

Simplifying the playbook is awesome. Oregon runs about 15 plays, but runs them fast and to perfection and they all have very familiar looks, which keeps the defense off balance.

Honestly, I hope Tommy Armstrong becomes a less-quick, and less fumble-prone, Marcus Mariota. Great decision maker, great leader, understands football, plays his heart out. Distributes the ball, makes the right reads, and tucks it when he needs to.

On that note, if Taylor regained his running form from freshman year AND fixed his turnover issues, I'd more than welcome him with open arms to start again as I think his turnover issues are still-related to him forcing things.

I dont think so

I don't think so, based on all the comments on here. Perhaps they'd chance their tune but probably only if he played well in a conference championship vicotry - and I only said regular season. Which speaks to your second point - I said regular season which Martinez did play well and we did win out last year.

I will only change my tune if he (Taylor) demonstrates the ability to dominate a team that is athletic and better than us. He has never done this to my recollection. Just look at his QBR versus those teams.

I think 100% deal is a load of crap. This staff had absolutely no problems in putting Taylor out there with turf toe and a high ankle sprain. Very little concern for his well being. They expected him to play under any circumstance.

I have also believed for quite some time that he has an upper body injury. His throwing motion has never been pretty, but at times he seems to pull his arm down close to his chest, just weird looking almost like a grimace in pain on his face. I have met the kid, and I like him personally. I hope he gets to finish his senior season as the starter at some point. But if it is time to move on, that is what Nebraska has to do. I think Taylor will understand that to. Playing hurt, in this fish bowl can not be a lot of fun.

Because a speedy QB gives a defense more fits.

If we put Mike Rozier in his prime on this team the defense will have fits. Add Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Ameer Abdullah, Imani Cross and a QB who can take it to the house if you blink wrong on every snap, and they have more to worry about.

That's the idea, anyway. Hasn't worked out that way with Taylor much of the year, though. Maybe it will for Tommy. Here's hoping....

I don't even think Tommy needs to take it the house on any given play like Taylor can.....

He just needs to limit his mistakes, play within the offense and be a manager that can run for the first down on a 3rd and 5 type situation if need be.

If he can do those things above, the offense will move, and it will move with authority IMO.

Scott Frost is a good example of a QB of this type. I know those long QB runs are exciting to watch but aren't needed. The QB just needs to play how I describe and he will still be a threat a defense has to account for. As long as they made to account for it, it opens up the big plays for our backs and receivers. If they don't account for the QB then the QB will have an opportunity to help walk the ball down the field.

Slowing down drive yet keeping the ball moving is what we need and TA may be the QB we needed to reduce the amount of offensive stalling. He just has to be good enough to keep it moving especially when a play breaks down. Yeah, it slows down drive but it also keeps their defense on the field which wears them down and keeps their offense and our defense off the field. The big plays will more than likely in the second half when their D has had enough.

I believe this may be a key to how successful the season is......

Unless the defense somehow miraculously becomes MUCH BETTER.

They can be better. We all can see some bright spots in their play ability. That makes me optimistic. But they are just not "there yet." Far from it. It will take a while just to get it to where we should have been coming into the first game. That is going to be hard for some to watch and accept. Even me. Instead of having a good defense and working the whole season to make it great. We have a gut wrenching D and have to fight the whole season just to make it average. Ugggh.

I'd rather just have the D play more aggressive...blitz a ton and take some risks...