Depth Recruiting Question

Why is it that if Nebraska has any depth at a position, recruits pass on Nebraska, stating that they are concerned about early playing time. But it seems like schools such as USC, Texas, LSU, Michigan, or Miami have more depth than we ever have, yet the top recruits are tripping over themselves to get into these schools?

:wtf

I swear every year USC (or Miami) may have recruited the best RB (or WR) in the country the past 3 years in a row, and if I go to Rivals, this year's top RB is being quoted as saying "Gee I can't wait to go to USC, they have such an awesome program for RB's"

Or another way to put this is, if USC or Miami or Texas has had a top 5 recruiting class every year the past 4 years, why would they have a top 5 again this year? From a depth perspective this makes no sense for the top recruits to look at these schools.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

SouthDakotaHusker.

Winning has a way of doing that. Also the warm weather helps. We have always had a tough time bringing in top flight recruits in the past, its just that our old system was set up to bring the kids along thru weight training and a lot of practice. Very few freshmen ever started for Bob.D, or Tom.O. Can't remember if they could in B.D's time. The one thing that holds true today as in the past, you have to have a offensive line. Thats one thing we have always had till lately. Tom.O didn't get great recruits for that very offten. They were built thru the system. He was also very good at getting the skill players not the 4 and 5 stars everyone else was but the ones he thought would fit into the ststem he was running. He could stock pile players no one really recruited very hard except us. I think he was the best at that.

This new w.c.o. if it gets going is going to start bring in some of those recruits you are asking about, it will just take a little time.

GBR!!!

Another reason IMO is location. Texas, California, and Florida are hot beds for star recruits. If the local team is winning, It might sway them to stay home and play where their parents and friends can watch.

Huskered17 has a great point too. the recruits see big numbers getting put up by our offense, and a lock down defense. They will come.

I agree with the last two posts. I think last year Callahan got a pass because it was his first year despite the 5-6 record. This year I think more recruits have cold feet from the Huskers' struggle on the field and because of the continued negative recruiting. Better performance on the field could pay big dividends.

Sure our weather factors in some, but maybe not as much as some people think. Michigan always has a top 10 class, and Notre Dame is having a banner year. You can have big success recruiting in a colder climate.

I presume that last evenings big upset, in front of most every fan and their significant other in the nation, would be a real positive for recruits that have Nu on their list of interest. As soon as this mandated dead period is past (next week?) who do you think will be wante=ing to come on their final visit. I understand that we have only 6 visits remaining. Maybe we'll get another QB to replace Freeman.

Does anyone know the staus of the pending visits or who some might be?

Well at least during football season it isnt very cold here anymore. We've had pretty warm fall seasons these past couple of years(climate change, global warming whatever etc.). yeah in january and february its pretty cold but thats it, relatively 3 months out of the year. I know its no texas, florida, california but if weather is an excuse how come you see all this awesome talent go to Ohio state, michigan, and other programs that are just as far north as we are? The better we get on the field the more recruits will believe that our coaches can get them to the nfl and get an education in the progress. JMO.

I agree.... the fact that Michigan and Ohio State and ND get big time recruits should void the "cold weather" excuse....... Hell, how did we land Tommie, LP, Bullocks, etc...... WE WERE WINNING AND FINISHING HIGH IN THE POLLS

With that said, the cold weather is definatley a factor though..... it makes it twice as difficult to recruit if you are not winning..... Losing and cold weather is almost impossible to consistently recruit top notch players.

Damn, I have spent my entire life here..... went to San Antonio for 4 days, and when we got back, the cold weather sucked... that was only after 4 freakin days.... I can't imagine a player who grew up in a warm climate.... hell, most of the time, I don't want to be here in the winter.

WINNING will over-ride the weather.... :restore2

Neb 1.7mil

Penn 12.mil

Ill 12.mil

Ohio 11.mil

Mich 10.mil

Ind 6.mil

Minn 5.mil

When you have schools with that kind of population in the cold climate areas to draw players from you don't have to rely on out of state kids any where near as much as we do. With the top strength program in the country we were be able to put a good team on the field year after year, with that and a few key players at the right spots is how we used to be able to compete with anyone on the field.

Our 4th quarter play in the Alamo showed that we seem to be getting that stamina

back.

GBR!!!