Zone Blocking

jmfb

For some that feel that all we have to do is be more aggressive on the D-line and that will solve all of our problems:

I feel your frustration, I'm frustrated as well.

However when you just have your DL put on the blasters in todays football world, that can create a lot of problems too.

Here are a couple of articles on Zone Blocking:

http://www.dawgsbyna...one-blocking-in

http://www.behindthe...nalysis-diagram

Note that much of what zone blocking and the backfield reads do is take advantage and use the defenses aggressiveness against itself.

I do not claim to be an expert on Zone blocking, but this is why they do it and this is why being uber aggressive against it, usually doesnt work very well. Instead of moving defenders primarly vertically, the goal is to move the gaps horizontally and with help. The RB doesnt have a designed "hole" to run to, he has an area and where he runs depends on where the defenders want to attack- the blockers are going to take that defender along the same path as he wants to go, but more horizontally than vertically, which creates nice big creases for the backs to run through. If everyone wants to attack in the same direction, then you have the big cutbacks that you see so much of these days- those didnt happen in the old 31 Iso days.

Thats why like Ive said on many posts, a lot of HS RBs cant step in and play in College if theyve not run a ton of zone in HS and are good at it. Not all HS teams run a bunch of zone

The article shows you why RBs have to be patient to let the play develop, most of the time.

NU runs both inside and outside zone.

Bigredbuster has a very good grasp on part of it using laymans terms. Something like" the blocking schemes push the Defender in the direction the DEFENDER wants to go....just push him farther than he wanted to go"

From reading these zone concepts you can get a new perspective on what Bo is trying to do with our DL. It is absolutely imperitive that we keep the OL from getting to the second level and keep our LBs "clean."

No way can we play over-aggressive and fly out of position. You are just playing into what the OL wants. NW and even Minnesota will have a field day with us if we do.

• Fire 1

I'm begging every Husker fan to study this.

I believe this is the main reason why Husker fans get so frustrated when watching our Linemen run block. I'm not sugar coating it and saying we haven't had some issues at O line. But, the concepts are completely different than the glory days of when we had short road graders that lined up, blew off the line with a pulling guard to one side and blew the D line off the ball three yards in a designated direction.

This is demonstrated by one paragraph in the first article. Read the second paragraph under "what are zone runs?" In the 80s and 90s, we would blow off the ball into the D line many times being a chop block of some type. In this blocking scheme, the first step of the O line many times is lateral or even BACKWARDS.

If you are still going to enjoy watching good O line play, you are going to have to adjust your thought process on what that looks like.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Sure

BTW- Abdullah runs the zone really well, his style is perfect for zone, same for Newby

Once they get the landmarks down, watch out. For some it takes some time. Bodes well for Abdullahs numbers, should only get better, assuming he takes care of ball security.

May also help some understand why Newby didnt redshirt and the Texas kid did.

I'm begging every Husker fan to study this.

I believe this is the main reason why Husker fans get so frustrated when watching our Linemen run block. I'm not sugar coating it and saying we haven't had some issues at O line. But, the concepts are completely different than the glory days of when we had short road graders that lined up, blew off the line with a pulling guard to one side and blew the D line off the ball three yards in a designated direction.

This is demonstrated by one paragraph in the first article. Read the second paragraph under "what are zone runs?" In the 80s and 90s, we would blow off the ball into the D line many times being a chop block of some type. In this blocking scheme, the first step of the O line many times is lateral or even BACKWARDS.

If you are still going to enjoy watching good O line play, you are going to have to adjust your thought process on what that looks like.

Thanks for starting this thread.

This, this, and this.

I've said it so many times but by studying about how offenses wanna block us you realize how week should defend them.

Zone blocking opens up so many cut backs...now...teaching zone blocking is a pain in the ass!

There is a big big big theory that when you play a zone blocking team you really want your DT's especially to stay as square as possible, taking up as much space as possible, to take some of the cutback lanes out.

Zone blocking opens up so many cut backs...now...teaching zone blocking is a pain in the ass!

There is a big big big theory that when you play a zone blocking team you really want your DT's especially to stay as square as possible, taking up as much space as possible, to take some of the cutback lanes out.

Yes, when to come off or trade, going to the second level- real PAIN IMO

You cant do it with everyday Joes, College teams and of course the NFL has them. All your linemen have to be good at getting to the second level. Heaven forbid you have to have that kid play both ways and have to use up Defensive Indy and Defensive team time on him every week

Of course the Broncos made it famous with Terrell Davis and those smaller athletic linemen

Here is Gibbs explaining it with some very nice clips- explains it really well> I could post his words, but the video is better:

Again, note that the reads for the back are pretty tough, this isnt an easy play for a lot of backs to pick up, takes great patience

Would you say that the two-gap combined with lever-spill-lever is a really a perfect way to play zone-blocking schemes??

Ummm, I don't know. Really, any sound (the key being SOUND) defense will work, you just have to make sure you set and edge and then you can't overrun your moving gap UNLESS you have some kind of call on with your LBers and/on SS, but honestly that is over my pay grade.

JMFB mentions that teaching zone blocking is super hard when it comes to getting to the second level...AMEN...second level is hard enough with "regular" blocking, with zone blocking, the mentality changes a bit and those kids have a hard time getting used to the idea of leaving an area and getting up field.

Would you say that the two-gap combined with lever-spill-lever is a really a perfect way to play zone-blocking schemes??

Ummm, I don't know. Really, any sound (the key being SOUND) defense will work, you just have to make sure you set and edge and then you can't overrun your moving gap UNLESS you have some kind of call on with your LBers and/on SS, but honestly that is over my pay grade.

JMFB mentions that teaching zone blocking is super hard when it comes to getting to the second level...AMEN...second level is hard enough with "regular" blocking, with zone blocking, the mentality changes a bit and those kids have a hard time getting used to the idea of leaving an area and getting up field.

Yep. HS kids, depending on where you coach- some of the linemen dont have the mobility to come off at the right time or trade and once they get to the second level to locate and make the right type of contact. In Nebraska you also cant cut those second level defenders by NFHS rules, in the NCAA you can. In HS of course those good kids are also playing defense. Lot different deal for the college and NFL guys. Now if you have a 250 kids in your program like Millard South and Millard North used to have, then its another story. Not knocking those coaching staffs, they are top notch.

To me it would seem like it doesn't matter what the scheme is if you're not the first one off the ball to get a push on the OL. Zone running plays take longer to develop and when a defensive player gets through, this is where a lot of holding calls occur. Penetration is always the key. And as far as the cut backs, your back side backer/DE has to stay home when we tend to crash in. And none of this matters unless you make the tackle.

Just look at the first link on outside zone and look at the DE

IF the DE comes hard inside- the OT and TE have him sealed, one has leverage via alignment, the OT has taken his bucket step and with help from the TE now has sealed the DE to the inside- the TE once that the DE has been controlled slips to the second level on the S. The ball is run outside of the DE.

If the DE flys up the field to the outside, thats about the worst thing he can do, the OT and RE engage the DE, the TE just takes the DE where he wants to go- outside, but further, the gap has moved horizontally. The OT slides off to the inside and takes the S. The Rb plants his foot and runs inside the DE.

From reading these zone concepts you can get a new perspective on what Bo is trying to do with our DL. It is absolutely imperitive that we keep the OL from getting to the second level and keep our LBs "clean."

No way can we play over-aggressive and fly out of position. You are just playing into what the OL wants. NW and even Minnesota will have a field day with us if we do.

After that, we need to get the young LBs into the correct run fits. Knowing when it's possible to shoot backside gap and still make the play, or fill in play side and force a cutback to a DL or DE.

When done correctly, it's really fun to shut down a zone blocked scheme, everyone in unison.