What Is the Difference? Nebraska in Wins and Nebraska in Losses

Something must get into Tim Beck during the games. At times he calls an unbelievably great game, and other times it is unbelievably bad. Today was one of those games. Nebraska will not win games if they can not run the ball. Nebraska will not win games if they don't run the ball.

There seems to be a preconceived notion that if we run the ball all the time, defenses will just stack the box and stuff the run. But we have with Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong as well as our wide receivers, players who will keep opposing defenses honest. The threat to pass will force defenses to keep players out of the box. There's also a preconceived notion that if you have talent, you have to keep feeding that talent. Having too many weapons could be just as detrimental to the team as having too few weapons if you don't know how to use them.

And I don't think Beck knows how to use them. And it's been evidenced in our two losses this year:

Wins

Wyoming:

Passing: 17/22, 155 yards, 3 TD

Rushing: 63 attempts, 375 yards, 2 TD

Ameer had 19 rushes

Imani had 13 carries

Taylor had 16 rushes

Newby had 15 rushes

Southern Miss:

Passing: 19/28 194 yards, 3 TD

Rushing: 46 attempts, 285 yards, 3 TD

South Dakota State:

Passing: 21/26 310 yards, 2 TD

Rushing: 51 attempts, 335 yards, 5 TD

Illinois:

Passing: 11/20 186 yards, 2 TD

Rushing: 50 attempts, 335 yards, 3 TD

Purdue:

Passing: 16/31 184 yards, 1 TD

Rushing: 56 attempts, 251 yards, 5 TD

Total:

127 pass attempts (32.3%)

266 rush attempts (67.7%)

393 plays, or about 78.6 plays per game. Nebraska is averaging a time of possession of 32:15 per game in our five wins, or about 2.44 plays per minute.

Losses:

UCLA:

Passing: 21/35 203 yards, 3 TD

Rushing: 42 attempts, 128 yards, 0 TD

Minnesota:

Passing: 16/30 139 yards, 1 TD

Rushing: 30 attempts, 189 yards, 1 TD

Total:

65 pass attempts (47.5%)

72 rush attempts (52.5%)

137 plays, or about 68.5 plays per game. Nebraska is averaging a time of possession of 27:24, or about 2.5 plays per minute.

So, we are much more run heavy in our wins and much more balanced when we lose. We don't need to have that balance. The stats speak for themselves.

What I saw today is what we saw against UCLA. The passing game was used as nothing more than an extension of the running game. That's not how you throw the ball. You have to stretch the field, send our guys downfield and get the back 7 defenders off the line. Without that thread, and just running bubble screens and flat passes every time we throw, we might as well hand the ball off to Ameer for 3 plays and either punt or score. Now, the past 3 games, we saw a downfield passing game. Now Taylor's back, we're back to the dink and dunk bullsh#t. Taylor's capable of throwing the deep ball, so I just dont know why we dont do it more.

• Fire 2

What I saw today is what we saw against UCLA. The passing game was used as nothing more than an extension of the running game. That's not how you throw the ball. You have to stretch the field, send our guys downfield and get the back 7 defenders off the line. Without that thread, and just running bubble screens and flat passes every time we throw, we might as well hand the ball off to Ameer for 3 plays and either punt or score. Now, the past 3 games, we saw a downfield passing game. Now Taylor's back, we're back to the dink and dunk bullsh#t. Taylor's capable of throwing the deep ball, so I just dont know why we dont do it more.

Yep. Screens are actually "runs". Beck, IMO, called a sh%t game today. The past 3 weeks with TA and RKIII under center, I really saw an offense that clicked and used the pass to set up the run and vice-versa. It looked like he had a plan (a few staple plays) that worked. Calling "simple" plays that played to the strength of each QB. In comes Martinez today and again I was amazed at the lack of continuity in the calling, the quickly abandoning one play to "just run the next", the schizophrenic nature, etc.... It flat out sucked and I again found myself calling for his head. His (Beck's) one consistency is that he goes full Beck when Martinez is in and appears to be the hotshot OC when it was TA and RKIII. The team, IMO, also appeared to play looser the previous games.....

Something must get into Tim Beck during the games. At times he calls an unbelievably great game, and other times it is unbelievably bad. Today was one of those games. Nebraska will not win games if they can not run the ball. Nebraska will not win games if they don't run the ball.

There seems to be a preconceived notion that if we run the ball all the time, defenses will just stack the box and stuff the run. But we have with Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong as well as our wide receivers, players who will keep opposing defenses honest. The threat to pass will force defenses to keep players out of the box. There's also a preconceived notion that if you have talent, you have to keep feeding that talent. Having too many weapons could be just as detrimental to the team as having too few weapons if you don't know how to use them.

And I don't think Beck knows how to use them. And it's been evidenced in our two losses this year:

Wins

Wyoming:

Ameer had 19 rushes

Imani had 13 carries

Taylor had 16 rushes

Newby had 15 rushes

Southern Miss:

South Dakota State:

Illinois:

Purdue:

Total:

393 plays, or about 78.6 plays per game. Nebraska is averaging a time of possession of 32:15 per game in our five wins, or about 2.44 plays per minute.

Losses:

UCLA:

Minnesota:

Total:

65 pass attempts (47.5%)

72 rush attempts (52.5%)

137 plays, or about 68.5 plays per game. Nebraska is averaging a time of possession of 27:24, or about 2.5 plays per minute.

So, we are much more run heavy in our wins and much more balanced when we lose. We don't need to have that balance. The stats speak for themselves.

tell me you understand why there are more rushes in our wins. Please tell me you know.

Wins

Wyoming:

Ameer had 19 rushes

Imani had 13 carries

Taylor had 16 rushes

Newby had 15 rushes

Southern Miss:

South Dakota State:

Illinois:

Purdue:

Total:

Losses:

UCLA:

Minnesota:

Total:

65 pass attempts (47.5%)

72 rush attempts (52.5%)

tell me you understand why there are more rushes in our wins. Please tell me you know.

I understand that we want to run the ball more when we are ahead to run off clock. So yeah, collecting the data was lazy. However, if you want to tell me where in the game we solely commit to running the ball to run off clock, be my guest and then I'd be happy to recollect the data.

Agree 100%

Without a QB running game and a vertical passing game our offense is extremely pedestrian and actually a little boring to watch.